How to create a "Stun Field"

I'm working on a villian with electric powers (real original huh? :) ) Anyway...

For one of his powers/attacks, I want to create a Stun Field whose effects are basically identical to using a stun gun on someone. (Watch Cops sometime;) ) The ultimate effect is paralysis, or nearly so, over an area.

Now here's my conundrum. The targets of this attack should be immobilized or dramatically slowed. My first thought was, "Gee. An Entangle would be the way to go." But the problem here is that an attack of some sort shouldn't allow the character to break free.

So perhaps a drain?

Any thoughts/ideas are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Harry

Re: How to create a "Stun Field"

Originally posted by Harry Canyon

I'm working on a villian with electric powers (real original huh? :) ) Anyway...

For one of his powers/attacks, I want to create a Stun Field whose effects are basically identical to using a stun gun on someone. (Watch Cops sometime;) ) The ultimate effect is paralysis, or nearly so, over an area.

Now here's my conundrum. The targets of this attack should be immobilized or dramatically slowed. My first thought was, "Gee. An Entangle would be the way to go." But the problem here is that an attack of some sort shouldn't allow the character to break free.

So perhaps a drain?

Thanks!

Harry

Okay, here's my first take on this;

160 Stun Field: Entangle 8d6, Takes No Damage From Attacks (+1/2), Area of Effect: Radius (+1); Cannot Form Barriers (-1/4)

base: 80

active: 200

real: 160

Of course, you could stick it in a multipower or EC to make it a little cheaper. Not to mention that you could offset the cost with a "villain bonus".

But let's say that it's just too expensive. After all, the entangle is not affected by attacks.....

just lower the dice of the attack to, say, 4d6 or lower, and watch that point cost plummet. I mean, (now that I think about it) just how much entangle do you really need when you can't direct an attack at it?

You may also want to link the power to a Drain STUN.....

Just my initial thoughts to help you get going. Hope this helps.

Re: Re: How to create a "Stun Field"

Originally posted by Syberdwarf2

Okay, here's my first take on this;

160 Stun Field: Entangle 8d6, Takes No Damage From Attacks (+1/2), Area of Effect: Radius (+1); Cannot Form Barriers (-1/4)

base: 80

active: 200

real: 160

Of course, you could stick it in a multipower or EC to make it a little cheaper. Not to mention that you could offset the cost with a "villain bonus".

But let's say that it's just too expensive. After all, the entangle is not affected by attacks.....

just lower the dice of the attack to, say, 4d6 or lower, and watch that point cost plummet. I mean, (now that I think about it) just how much entangle do you really need when you can't direct an attack at it?

You may also want to link the power to a Drain STUN.....

Just my initial thoughts to help you get going. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the input!

Hmm... Upon rereading "Takes No Damage from Attack", this seems to apply when an attacker (i.e. external to the entangle) targets the victim of the entangle. Not the victim of the entangle themself... Or do folks think the victim also has a -3 OCV to target the entangle? (The only example power I could find with this advantage is Hand Cuffs which the victim could easily apply strength to without even needing to roll to hit.

I was thinking of a Speed drain myself. (Since I don't envision the attack actually knocking people out, just paralyzing them through the electrical shock.) Although an effective speed drain would be really expensive. I'd need at least 6d6, which on average would be about 2 speed loss. Which is certainly significant but... Then again, that's still not quite the "flavor" I'm looking for.

Hmm... I think Mattingly may be on to something... How about Mental Paralysis based on CON? I think that would do the trick! But the attack shouldn't be based on ECV... Auuuggghhh!!

:)

Harry

If you use "Based on Con" as a limitation for a Mental Power, you switch to PD/ED rather than MD. I've always assumed that that meant you used Dex instead of Ego for targeting.

If not you can fiat it as a -0 limitation. You'll probably have a higher Dex than Ego, but so do most of your opposition.

IDHBIFOM...

Mind Control 12d6, Only 1 command "Hold Still" (-1/2), Based on Con (-1/2), uses OCV, not OECV for targeting (-0).

60 Active, 30 real. They'll get breakout rolls, but they'll be Con, not Ego. When they break out of the mind control, the "Stun Field" wears off.

Now, I think Dave Mattingly is saying use Con instead of Str as the bust out mechanism for getting yourself out of the entangle. there's a nifty digital hero article on doing this kind of stuff, but I don't remember which one.

D

Originally posted by misterdeath If you use "Based on Con" as a limitation for a Mental Power, you switch to PD/ED rather than MD. I've always assumed that that meant you used Dex instead of Ego for targeting.
Good point. I hadn't thought of that...

IDHBIFOM...

I can't figure this one out... :confused:

Now, I think Dave Mattingly is saying use Con instead of Str as the bust out mechanism for getting yourself out of the entangle. there's a nifty digital hero article on doing this kind of stuff, but I don't remember which one.
Sounds intriguing. I need to get a "subscription", sadly I'm broke at the moment. :(

Harry

So perhaps a drain?

Thanks!

Harry

What you suggest, I would look into a double drain of both Stun and Speed with an area of effect. Niether would be 'immediate' but a couple of hits of it would seriously deter an opponent.

{snip}

{snip}

Having seen stun-guns in action (IRL, not on some faked up TV show), I can tell you they work by knocking the person out. Paralysis more of a "side-effect", leading up to unconsciousness.

Make it EB, Stun Only to do it cheap. To do it more accurately, Stun Drain.

Actually, the "paralysis" is more "lack of control over one's movements". That's best done as a DEX Drain---note FrED p.22, under "Negative Dexterity".

--

Happiness can't buy you money.

Re: Re: How to create a "Stun Field"

Originally posted by BasilDrag

Having seen stun-guns in action (IRL, not on some faked up TV show), I can tell you they work by knocking the person out. Paralysis more of a "side-effect", leading up to unconsciousness.

Make it EB, Stun Only to do it cheap. To do it more accurately, Stun Drain.

Actually, the "paralysis" is more "lack of control over one's movements". That's best done as a DEX Drain---note FrED p.22, under "Negative Dexterity".

Thanks for the info! This sounds like the way to do it Stun Drain with a small linked DEX drain.

Others had suggested Stun Drain or Stun only attacks, now I'm on the same page!

Take care,

Harry