Tiger Squad Uniforms?

Magmarock

I need to find more information regarding China's Tiger Squad. Specifically, I'd like to know if they wear color-coordinated uniforms and what they would look like.

I am working on a PC for a global team under Until called UNIT 1 and my PC was a member of the Tiger Squad (in our campaign at least). I want her costume to be close to that of the Tiger Squad uniform (should there be one).

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Mags

Re: Tiger Squad Uniforms?

Based on the illustrations that have appeared so far (some in the 4E Watchers of the Dragon supplement, a couple of others in the UNTIL Superpowers Database), there doesn't seem to be a set uniform for the Tiger Squad, or even a color scheme. Luan and Earthquake Fist wear minor variations on the standard uniforms for practitioners of the particular martial art that each favors. Quicksilver wears a form-fitting superhero bodysuit and mask. Gossamer Storm favors a slinky "dragon-lady" style evening dress. Summer Cloud is depicted in a fairly loose, high-collared tunic and pants with elaborate "oriental" designs and accessories. Some Squad members are masked, others not. Colors vary with the individual.

Based on the illustrations that have appeared so far (some in the 4E Watchers of the Dragon supplement' date=' a couple of others in the [b']UNTIL Superpowers Database[/b]), there doesn't seem to be a set uniform for the Tiger Squad, or even a color scheme. Luan and Earthquake Fist wear minor variations on the standard uniforms for practitioners of the particular martial art that each favors. Quicksilver wears a form-fitting superhero bodysuit and mask. Gossamer Storm favors a slinky "dragon-lady" style evening dress. Summer Cloud is depicted in a fairly loose, high-collared tunic and pants with elaborate "oriental" designs and accessories. Some Squad members are masked, others not. Colors vary with the individual.

Dragon of Winter looked pretty cool but we only saw him from the neck up.

Its kind of strange that Comunist China allows such individuality in their agents' dress. I would have thought they'd be more stringently controlled.

Yeah, that's what I thought too.

Winter Dragon is a 5 point contact for my PC, Tiger-Eye. I was going to go with the colors of China's flag (red and gold) but I didn't want to go overboard since she's not supposed to be a patriot (she is loyal to her country), so I decided to ditch the star motif.

Anyway, I appreciate the help. The design I have for her costume is fairly simple. It'll get posted in the Superhero Images thread in a day or two, when I am done with it.

Cheers,

Mags

Its kind of strange that Comunist China allows such individuality in their agents' dress. I would have thought they'd be more stringently controlled.

That would almost certainly have been required during Maoist-era China, where uniform dress was demanded of everyone. Today's China seems to be working hard to shed that image, though. Western-style clothing of all varieties is common on Chinese city streets, usually individualized. The Chinese government is actively encouraging people to acquire money, and to spend it to help the economy.

Personally, I still think that a hypothetical Chinese superteam in the "real world" would wear some type of uniform as the military does; but individuality in super costumes would no longer stand out as glaringly as it once might have. OTOH for state symbols as high-profile as supers, the government might actually encourage limited self-expression as the face of the "new China." ;)

BTW in USPD Winter Dragon is shown wearing a domino mask and an earring.

When our V.A.L.O.R. team was assembled, they had the recurring colors of white and blue among the costumes even though each costume was customized specifically to the character.

Strobe wore platemail armor and a cape; Randamn wore pants (possibly jeans) tucked in his boots, and a leather jacket; Magmarock wore what you see in my Avatar; Puma wore camouflage army-fatigues and combat boots; Tasor wore spandex that defined a humanoid shape out of his orb-like will o' wisp form; Ally wore the spandex, too, but had a partial face mask as opposed to Tasor's full head mask. Everyone had the distinctive "V" somewhere on their costume and usually in a spot where it could be seen right away. Some of them had blue predominantly in the costume, rather than white.

Having a color theme worked well in pulling the team together, visually. I should mention that any of the PCs who were independent heroes before joining V.A.L.O.R. had other costumes that differed from their team costume. At least three had no costume at all- Magmarock (was living on a mountain in the Hawaiian Islands), Puma (came right out of the army) and Tasor (will o' wisp).

It would be cool if the Tiger Squard did the same. Of course, each hero would have their own costume suited to their needs, but it wouldn't hurt for each hero to done a theme costume when they are in their field teams. Each team is assigned to a region in China, and could have slight variations (either in color or style) to identify with that region.

To identify each field team, the heroes could wear a "character" representing a specific animal instead of a number (since most of the heroes are martial arts, this seems the most logical). They would all still be of the Tiger Squad, still, however. Barring that, numbering the teams would be the simplest way to separate the field teams, followed by naming them after the region they protect.

I need to get my hands on that book, Watchers of the Dragon. :D

Tiger-Eye (my PC) would stand out from the others (one of the reasons she was given the honor of joining UNIT 1) because she isn't Chinese (blond hair, green eyes and obviously of western descent). She was born and raised in China, left at an orphanage when still an infant. I've read everything I can in the Champions books I own about China in the CU (including the 4th Ed books I own) and some research on the internet. Although I doubt that any of our adventure will go into China (UNIT 1 need permission from Until superiors before entering any country) it's nice to have the background information.

Mags

Aha! Colorful costumes making their agents larger than life and more heroic! Perfect! Maybe we should adopt such standards in America...:)

And it doesn't hurt the sales of their merchandising, which is of course made in factories owned by the Chinese army.