The Slayers (anime)

Edsel

Has anybody done any work on The Slayers as far as a Fantasy Hero setting is concerned. The BESM and BESM d20 books provide a lot of good background information. The variant spell-system that GOO cooked-up for the d20 version is a lot better than standard d20 (IMHO). It looks like something that could be converted to a hero system version. Just wish I had the time.

Re: The Slayers (anime)

Has anybody done any work on The Slayers as far as a Fantasy Hero setting is concerned. The BESM and BESM d20 books provide a lot of good background information. The variant spell-system that GOO cooked-up for the d20 version is a lot better than standard d20 (IMHO). It looks like something that could be converted to a hero system version. Just wish I had the time.

Check out the following sites for some info :)

http://www.devermore.net/surbrook/index/

http://www.herogames.com/oldForum/OtherGenres/000011.html

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11961&highlight=Slayers

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8970&highlight=Slayers

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=818&highlight=Slayers

Hope it helps :)

You'd need four books to do it (Reality Storm, SAS tri-Stat for the BESM conversion, the appropcoate season guide from GOO and of course FRED) but you can now do a straight conversion of the Slayers characters from BESM to HERO using SAS and the tables in Realoity Storm as your basis. And all three seasons are now available.

Thing is I have a feeling Lina Inverse in particular would come out as amazingly expensive unless you did all her spells as one massive Multipower with a lot of Ultra slots. One one hand she could probably wipe out Doctor Destoryer. On the other, some speculate she may be an avatar of the Creatrix of the Multiverse, so somehow it seems appropriate.

Anyway, there are some real badass characters in the Slayers universe that would overwhelm just about any sane fantasy campaign. They play best together, in their own universe. Lina vs. Kal-Turak? No contest.

Thing is I have a feeling Lina Inverse in particular would come out as amazingly expensive unless you did all her spells as one massive Multipower with a lot of Ultra slots. One one hand she could probably wipe out Doctor Destoryer. On the other, some speculate she may be an avatar of the Creatrix of the Multiverse, so somehow it seems appropriate.

Anyway, there are some real badass characters in the Slayers universe that would overwhelm just about any sane fantasy campaign. They play best together, in their own universe. Lina vs. Kal-Turak? No contest.

Yeah I can see they are extremely powerful. I have the d20 Slayers book. In it the first season Lina Inverse is 23rd level, and she just gets more powerful in later seasons. I just bought the three seasons on DVD and am about 3/4 of the way thought season one. It is refreshingly light hearted from my normal anime fare. Yet I am pleased that they make use of realitively long story arcs. I'll probably get around to buying the Tri-Stat books and the others (being single allows one to spend ridiculous sums of money on gaming books). :winkgrin:

Yeah I can see they are extremely powerful. I have the d20 Slayers book. In it the first season Lina Inverse is 23rd level' date=' and she just gets more powerful in later seasons. I just bought the three seasons on DVD and am about 3/4 of the way thought season one. It is refreshingly light hearted from my normal anime fare. Yet I am pleased that they make use of realitively long story arcs. I'll probably get around to buying the Tri-Stat books and the others (being single allows one to spend ridiculous sums of money on gaming books). :winkgrin:[/quote']

Visit my website! :) I could use a sponsor with ridiculous amonts of money to spend.... :)

Seriously, though, what makes Slayers really stand out it my mind is that no matter how over-the-top the magic gets there is always something going on with these characters. As your progress in wtaching the series you will be why the 'relationshipper"-style fans absolutely dote on this series. There is subtext galore between Lina and Gourry -- why does Gourry stay with lina fgiven the incredible amount of abuse he puts up with for so little reward? That becomes a central issue in the second (and best, in many fans' opinion) season, Slayers NEXT. And I don't think you;ve seen what happens when Amelia and Zelgadis meet yet -- the fans univerally consider them a classic "beauty and the beast" combination, even though they don't exactly get along at first. (Amelia's first impression is woefully ill-informed....) :eek:

Of course, if you're a gamer you've got to love this show. I can just imagine Lina doing point calculations in her head as she figures out which of ber bushel of attack spells to use on a partciular opponent....