Powers that turn off after a given time interval

I may be missing something obvious, but how do I model a power which costs Endurance to activate but not to maintain, but automatically turns itself off after a given amount of time (say, 1 Turn)?

I need to build a number of powers like this. Some normally cost END, some don't - but all will need to cost END only to activate and then automatically turn themselves off after a certain time interval.

Re: Powers that turn off after a given time interval

Sounds like you want the Uncontrolled Advantage. This allows you to pump END into the power on activation and it feeds on the power until it runs out. I believe the power you use this on already needs to be Consistent.

While constructions using Uncontrolled or Charges are possible, they seem overly complicated for what is needed. I decided to simplify things by just making lasts only until end of Turn a -1/4 limitation. The logic behind this is based on the fact that making a Constant power Instant is a -1/2 limitation. Here are a couple of examples with descriptions in plain English and then in game terms. They are based on Fu Powers from the Feng Shui RPG, BTW. Please tell me if you think these work, people!

1) You can act with no penalties in partial or complete darkness until the end of the turn:

Nightvision (5 Active Points); Costs Endurance (only to activate; -1/4), Limited Power (lasts only until end of Turn; -1/4). Total Cost: 3 points.

2) When you target and successfully hit an opponent in HTH combat with this power you do no damage, but instead a 1" radius area with the opponent at its centre is plunged into absolute darkness until the end of the turn. The area remains centred on the opponent even when he moves:

Darkness to Sight Group 1†radius, Usable as Attack (+1), Costs END Only to Activate (+1/4) (22 Active Points); Limited Power (lasts only until end of Turn; -1/4). Total Cost: 18 points.

The value of the limitation depends on whether it really is limiting. How often do you expect you'll need a power longer than a Turn? In my experience, most battles don't last much longer than that and out of combat power use is rarely limited by time. You'll have to decide the value for each power you place it on - it could easily vary.

While constructions using Uncontrolled or Charges are possible' date=' they seem overly complicated for what is needed. I decided to simplify things by just making [i']lasts only until end of Turn[/i] a -1/4 limitation. The logic behind this is based on the fact that making a Constant power Instant is a -1/2 limitation. Here are a couple of examples with descriptions in plain English and then in game terms. They are based on Fu Powers from the Feng Shui RPG, BTW. Please tell me if you think these work, people!

1) You can act with no penalties in partial or complete darkness until the end of the turn:

Nightvision (5 Active Points); Costs Endurance (only to activate; -1/4), Limited Power (lasts only until end of Turn; -1/4). Total Cost: 3 points.

2) When you target and successfully hit an opponent in HTH combat with this power you do no damage, but instead a 1" radius area with the opponent at its centre is plunged into absolute darkness until the end of the turn. The area remains centred on the opponent even when he moves:

Darkness to Sight Group 1†radius, Usable as Attack (+1), Costs END Only to Activate (+1/4) (22 Active Points); Limited Power (lasts only until end of Turn; -1/4). Total Cost: 18 points.

1) Cost End is a -1/2 limitation, and it's a lot more limiting than the combo of costs end to activate and lasts 1 turn. I'd say that lasts one turn before needing to activate again is worth a -0 limitation.

2) Cost End Only to Activate is meant only for Body affecting powers such as Growth, Density, or Shape Change. It's generally considered too abusive to place on other powers, so you would need GM permission to use this advantage.

If a non-Body affecting power costs end to activate but lasts one turn, I'd just give it a -0 or -1/4 total limitation depending on how much the GM expects it to limit the player in actual play.

1) Cost End is a -1/2 limitation' date=' and it's a [i']lot[/i] more limiting than the combo of costs end to activate and lasts 1 turn. I'd say that lasts one turn before needing to activate again is worth a -0 limitation.

I can see your point. I'm going to take a look at this and may consider changing it.

2) Cost End Only to Activate is meant only for Body affecting powers such as Growth, Density, or Shape Change. It's generally considered too abusive to place on other powers, so you would need GM permission to use this advantage.

If a non-Body affecting power costs end to activate but lasts one turn, I'd just give it a -0 or -1/4 total limitation depending on how much the GM expects it to limit the player in actual play.

I am the GM. I'm building some pre-fabs that player characters can take. To use Costs End Only to Activate in this case was a conscious choice on my part. Again, the value of the 'lasts one turn' limitation is in question.