Megaman's Mega Buster

CrosshairCollie

With the Megaman Anniversary Collection coming out soon, I've found myself oddly thinking about how to create the Blue Bomber's trademark weapon in HERO system lately.

There's two parts to it (at least, in most of the games) ... a charge-able energy cannon, and the weapons-theft system.

The charge-up cannon is the easy one ... a few dice of EB standard, then some more with Extra Time, then some more with more Extra Time, then some more with even MORE Extra time ... presumably, if I'm reading the Extra Time limit right, you can still move around while charging (unless you take another limitation).

Now, the ability-theft is the fun part. It operates similarly to a Mimic Pool, but the weapons don't always operate precisely like they did when they belonged to the opponent (for example, when Clown Man uses the Thunder Claw in MM8, he extends his arms; when Megaman uses it, it releases a kind of electric whip from the arm cannon). I was thinking ...

75pt Variable Power Pool

Half-Phase to change powers

No Skill Roll

Eight power 'memory'; must analyze unconscious opponent for a half-phase action to add a new power to memory. The power must be based off a power possessed by the analyzed opponent, and cannot have more damage classes than the power being added. Only one power per opponent. (?)

Now, that last one is complicated, so, for an example ... let's say Megaman has progressed through all 8 Robot Masters of MM2, and has their weaponry stored in 'memory'. Now, he's defeated Foxbat (why not?). With Foxbat lying unconscious, Megaman stands over Foxbat's unconscious form and analyzes him and his gear, and ...

YOU GOT: HARDBALL.

Megaman must now pick one of the eight weapons in memory to delete to make space for the Hardball; he decides he doesn't want the Leaf Shield, so that ceases to be; now he can choose between any of the other 7 weapons and the Hardball. Since the Hardball is 10d6, he can't have more than 10d6 damage on his; however, he makes his 10d6 at 0END, so he has an infinite supply of Hardballs.

If someone's trademark 'schtick' is Strength or Dexterity (such as copying Ironclad, say), then you'd get an Aid or Succor or somesuch ... this weapon violates every known law of physics, anyway, so might as well have fun with it.

So ... how stupid do I look now? :)

Re: Megaman's Mega Buster

I'd just build it as a multipower' date=' and spend Mega Man's XP on adding slots...he only gets them after beating major foes, after all.[/quote']

I would go this route as well. IMO Mega Man is the perfect example of a multipower with all ultra-slots. And remember that each slot should have its own END Reserve.

The only problem with the Multipower idea is that Megaman doesn't always have access to every weapon he's ever stolen ... er, copied.

MM: "Dr. Light! Dr. Light! Now that Wily's defeated, what do I do with the powers I've learned?"

DrLight: "I just deleted them. Wily's locked up good; you won't ever need them again."

MM: "I'd swear that's the fifth time you've said that."

DrLight: "Sixth."

And Ben should know' date=' he is, after all, Megaman's secret Identity. :whistle:[/quote']

Um, MegaMan's secret ID is Rock Light (and has an android sister named Roll Light). And in Japan, the charater is known as RockMan.

The only problem with the Multipower idea is that Megaman doesn't always have access to every weapon he's ever stolen ... er, copied.

MM: "Dr. Light! Dr. Light! Now that Wily's defeated, what do I do with the powers I've learned?"

DrLight: "I just deleted them. Wily's locked up good; you won't ever need them again."

MM: "I'd swear that's the fifth time you've said that."

DrLight: "Sixth."

Well yeah, that's true... but if *I* were given a MegaMan Hero license, I would first publish each game as a module:

Your character is a pre-gen basic MegaMan, and as you beat the different scenarios (levels), you'd get the specific weapon from the specific boss (basically, you'd earn enough experience points to add a new slot to your Multipower). Once you defeated Wily at the end of the module then you could either continue to play that MegaMan in the MegaMan Universe (another supplement) or you could remove all of your new weapons and move on to the next adventure (ie, MegaMan 2, etc...) and run through that. If done properly, the character that you end up with at the end of each adventure will be roughly the same number of points so that any character entering the MegaMan universe from any module would be at the same point level.

And this isn't even dealing with the MegaMan X series, which has some pretty cool plots of its own that would be cool-ass for a roleplaying game. I mean, battles against the Mavericks would just be way too much fun. :)

Hey, that can be a tricky roll. Don't worry about it. :)

Oh and to Ben, if you ever need playtesters for Megaman Hero...Drop me a line.

Thanks.

Now tthen, what about MegaMan NT Warrior? "Battel Chip...IN!"