Ranged Martial Arts too limited?

fbdaury

Desigining a nasty archer charcter I realized that there are at least two more elements that it should be possible to add to ranged MA attacks: grab, to represent pinning a target to a nearby surface, and disable, for the ever-popular arrow through the arm or foot, etc. Has anyone else ever thought of or used these, and what other elements can you think of to add to ranged MAs?

Re: Ranged Martial Arts too limited?

Basically, everything available to HtH martial arts EXCEPT the FullMove modifier and the Block basis (which is handled by Missile Deflection). So far it hasn't been problematic, so it's likely I'll tentatively allow a FullMove manuever soon to test. My money says that one is going to be as troublesome as it looks.

The Disable I'd certainly allow. The Grab seems a little odd, since it is so much less restricted than normal Grabs: you don't have to stand and hold the target, can Grab as many as you have arrows. I might allow it, but only allow the bonus to STR from the maneuver, but I think it works better as a small Entangle (probably not more than 2 or 3 DEF, and possibly only 1 Body) with OAF, Only Against Target With Clothing, Only If There Is Something To Pin Target To.

I would also design the pin as an entangle. Having watching Inu Yasha last night and the Kikiyo pinning the dark priestess clothes the door frame, I can see it as an attack. But the person in question would have to be wearing clothing that would allow for a place for the arrow to go. Then I will design a second power with a link between an entangle and EB vs PD to signify shooting someone and attaching them to say a tree (another Inu Yasha reference), but this might be easily down with multiple attack (in fact probably the best way to do it and so all you would need is entangle).

G

I have allowed FMOve in Ranged MA in a limited function (in UMA there is a manuver that includes it' date=' I allow it but no custom manuveres)[/quote']

The FAQ has officially disallowed Moving Shot. Of course what you allow in your own campaign is up to you.

Okay, so--do you use charges for the RMA? I'm not sure how to do martial manuevers with a charged weapon...

That's why I didn't use them for the archer I worked up for my cousin (I gave him some Aikido instead).

How do you do the MA, when it's based on charges in a different power?