R.o.d. Tv

Michael Hopcroft

My local anime club is wtaching the TV seires of Read or Die, which 9at the poiint we are watching) has finally corssed over fully with the OVAs -- and turned my opinions of the PVAs comnpleteley on their ear.

Remeber how we thought the people who ran the Spcieal Investigations Unit at the British library were benevolent protectors of the world? Well, it seems they engaged in a massive betrayal of one of their former agents, taking her child away in the hopes that he would (TO SAY WHAT THEY WANTED FROM HIM WOULD BE A SPOILER), leading to the rather explosive "resignation" of Yumiko Readman.

The TV series follows the adventures of three paper-mainulator sisters from Hong Kong who run across one of Yumiko's friends and end up as her bodyguard. They each have a specialty, and they are going to need it when Joker comes after them....

Have you ever run a camapuign this way, when you ahve the supposedly heroic agency your characters work for turn out to be evil incarnate? And what do your characters do?

Re: R.o.d. Tv

I run lots of campaigns like this ... one of two things happen.

The characters, correctly, assume they have no control over anything and go along with it and make themselves a part of the organization fully... Oh I love it when they do that...

The character still assume they have no control over anything around them, which would still be correct, but fight the organization tooth and nail thus turning the game into a series of guerrila warfare tactics, both of actual combat and in the politcal/social arena.

On the control issue before someone tries to call me on it: A massive corporation with nearly unlimited resources and a very large income (how else do you get a mega-corp??) should be able to easily manipulate people at the PCs level, out manuever them and in the end, beat them utterly.

The fun part is seeing exactly how far the PCs get .. once they got all the way and "removed" the offended section of the corporation causing all the "problems" - Well, they did manage to kill off or incarcerate several villainous people who life is better off without, but they still worked for the corp after it all and the corp was still not the nicest of organizations... I digress greatly here though....

In short - this kind of campaign best fits Noire and Cyberpunk style game IMO.

Re: R.o.d. Tv

And of course Surbrook has written some of the principals up

You expected any less? :winkgrin:

For the record, Iwrote up Yomiko Readman (a.k.a. The Paper) and Miss Deep, who are both quite suitable for inclusion in a superhero setting.

http://surbrook.devermore.net/adaptionsanime/animechar.html#READ