Need Help with Disadvantages

Super Squirrel

I need to change a Disadvantage on my background. The 10 point DNPC just doesn't work for my character. He recently came back from Africa and couldn't have even met Laura yet, let alone can I think of a plausable reason why he would feel comfortable giving out his Secret ID to someone working at the Medical Records room.

I need a replacement for the 10 point disadvantage that fits the theme of my character.

Nut shell of character:

-Was once a Sidekick

-Isn't all that social outside of his Sidekick friends.

-His cellular structure is reverse polarity thus his unusual reactions to electricity and healing processes.

-he is a medical doctor

-This is in the Global Guardians Universe

10	DNPC:  Laura Clemens 8- (Normal)
20	Enraged:  Intentional Harm to an Innocent (Uncommon), go 14-, recover 11-
15	Physical Limitation:  Cannot Act While Exposed to Electricity (Infrequently, Fully Impairing)
10	Physical Limitation:  Dietary Restrictions (Frequently, Slightly Impairing)  Note: Cannot eat Fruits / Vegetables, Meat Preferred
15	Physical Limitation:  Slow Healer (Frequently, Greatly Impairing)
20	Psychological Limitation:  Code vs. Killing (Very Common, Strong)
15	Psychological Limitation:  Hippocratic Oath (Uncommon, Total)  Note: Help the more severe first.  Do not refuse treatment.  Do not use treatment to harm.
15	Social Limitation:  Secret ID (Frequently, Major)
20	Vulnerability:  2 x STUN Electricity (Common)
10	Vulnerability:  1 1/2 x BODY Electricity (Common)

Re: Need Help with Disadvantages

Humm, easiest would be to up the enrage or vulnerability.

How well known was he as a Sidekick? Maybe some rep for that that he now finds embaressing?

For that matter, why is he no longer a Sidekick? Maybe some psych crock for the way relationship with his mentor ended?

Guest milton febles

Could'nt have a scenario about some supervillian attacking the hospital where(i am assuming) both he and the DNPC works. he leaps to her rescue taking an energy blast that does'nt immediately heals him meant for her. then she drags him to the nearest emergency room where she inavertaly finds out his secret id. I for one believe that paying points for something( such as powers or disavantages) and then change it in the middle of a campaign just because the gm or the player can't find at least several uses for it is a no-no.

DNPC: To Be Announced

Why not keep the DNPC you haven't met yet and ask the GM to work it into the first few sessions or something? Hell, meeting someone you care about who stumbles upon your secret idea is a whole plot line alone. It's not like an 8- DNPC is going to be in your face every game session, anyway. Instead of "not used yet" it can be "doesn't exist yet" with the same end result.

of course, you could always drop 10 pts off disads and cut back on powers or such. its not written that every character every time must take the max points in disads, is it?

I mean, think of it this way... if you literally have written down all the disad you can think of as appropriate for the character, then any new disads are not "about the character" and solely "for the points", which we all know is not what HERo is about.

So why not trim back 10 pts of abilities and keep the disads at what you feel are appropriate?

Give him a phobia.

Or some other type of mental quirk that would make him interesting to play. He could have allergies, like Daniel in Stargate (never understood why they dropped that from the TV version).

Or you can choose a rare susceptability.

Mags

Me, I'd go with a psych lim along the lines of "must prove he's a hero in his own right."

He was a sidekick, right? Maybe now he wants to show the world he's his own hero now, and good enough to play with the big boys without his mentor's protection...

(%)

Give him a phobia.

Or some other type of mental quirk that would make him interesting to play. He could have allergies, like Daniel in Stargate (never understood why they dropped that from the TV version).

He has that in the TV version, thpough it's rarely played up. In the pilot, they communicate with a box of kleenex tossed through the gate. In one early episode, it's his antihistimines (sp) that provide a clue to a cure for a "mental/evolutionary" regression afflicting members of the new planet's society. You don't see it much, if at all, after that - maybe he bought it off with xp and some offscreen allergy treatments :whistle:

Oh yeah - this was about disad's. I like most of the suggestons above for disad's based on his former sidekick status, but these depend on more background than we know. With 45 points related to electricity, I'd guess a psych around that isn't in the cards (ie he already has an aversion/fear/healthy respect to electricity whether he gets poiints for it or not).

As a former sidekick, maybe a minor Hunted or Watched reflecting his history? More points from a Hunted could allow you to cut back the Vulnerability. I like the "mystery DNPC" or, better yet, the "rotational DNPC", but this may not work for a guy with limited social skills.

What if Laura Clemens has worked in Africa (eg. Peace Corps) and your character had met her there. A few years later, he moves to Campaign City and **oh look!** that's where Laura works and lives now. Not all that improbable as comic book coincidences go.