[JCN] Bioplastic and SuperCostumes (TM)

zakueins

Occasionally, I make odd notes about the games I plan to run, and this is one of them. Following the post X-Files rule of "being able to explain the conspiracy at the last episode", I've got notes on the existance of superhuman powers, why they exist, how they work, and the reason why Carrot Top is still popular. :)

This is one of them.

BIOPLASTIC AND SUPERCOSTUMES

Developed by accident in 2002, bioplastic has become one of the major medical miracles of the early 21st century. When formed, bioplastic is a pinkish, translucent rubbery substance that has a very disturbing feel-much like uncooked meat. It is edable, if taistless and having no nutritonal value. What makes it practical is that when sewn into or onto human skin, the body doesn't reject it or start to attack it with it's immune system-it regards the material as idential to it's own skin. For burn victums, major surgical operations, and emergency medical care, this is perfect-it can be trimmed and sewn like cloth, but is easily sutured into place. For burn victims, it can replace burnt skin and normal skin will start to grow in place of the bioplastic (the body does break it down, but at a rate slightly slower than normal human skin tissue replacement).

Bioplastic has also become popular for smugglers-replace a kidney with a bioplastic bag and you can smuggle anything that fits in, without difficulties. And, bioplastic has revolutionized the plastic surgery industry-a form of bioplastic breaks down very slowly, and can be used in place of several forms of silicone or saline enahncements.

For metahumans, bioplastic forms the core of "supercostumes"-costumes that let them use their powers to the fullest extent possible without damage. When properly doped, bioplastic can be act as a semi-permiable membrane for powers-allowing them out without damage to itself. Also, the costume is semi-regenerative, able to repair damage to itself, and can be sealed for use as a pressure suit and/or Level 4 biohazard suit (NASA has expressed deep interest in this technology, as it would allow for lighter and easier-to-use spacesuits). When combined with other materials (synthetic spider silk, Kevlar fibers, ballistic ceramic plates), bio-plastic costumes can be extremely protective.

The three major problems with supercostume bioplastic is cost, color, and grafting. A "basic" supercostume can cost up to $9,000-with add-ons and suppliments costing even more. Second, all "doped" bioplastic supercostumes come in only one color-a sort of light-absorbing black that only reaches skin temperature (unless you buy a cooling system). And third is that if you wear bioplastic costumes for more than 96 hours, the material will start to bond with the skin, making removal of the bioplastic painful-and maybe even requiring surgery.

Re: [JCN] Bioplastic and SuperCostumes

I like this... a lot.

~snipety smip~Second' date=' all "doped" bioplastic supercostumes come in only one color-a sort of light-absorbing black that only reaches skin temperature (unless you buy a cooling system).[/quote']

Does this mean "normal human skin temperature"? What if "you" have a different body temperature, like, say, 10 to 15 degrees cooler?

If you're naturally cooler, it means that the material will reach YOUR skin temperature. And keep it there.

I like this... a lot.

Does this mean "normal human skin temperature"? What if "you" have a different body temperature, like, say, 10 to 15 degrees cooler?

If you're naturally cooler' date=' it means that the material will reach YOUR skin temperature. And keep it there.[/quote']

That would be truly, pardon the pun, cool. I never liked the "unstable molecules" explaination, though I did like the idea. This stuff is very... neat. :D

And, it also solves the perrenial question of "how do superheroes go to the bathroom in those costumes?" :)

That would be truly' date=' pardon the pun, cool. I never liked the "unstable molecules" [i']explaination[/i], though I did like the idea. This stuff is very... neat. :D

Aberrant had what is probably my favorite explanation for this genre convention -- there's a nova that produces the material naturally as his lone power.
Aberrant's Eufiber was the primary inspiration for the Biofibre that features in my Cannibal Comics setting.

Zakueins' Bioplastic is also good stuff, and I'll be stealing several of its properties for Biofibre. In particular, I like the medical applications and the spinoff smuggling application.