Deadly Blow talent too powerful?

Gunrunner

Re: Deadly Blow talent too powerful?

"Of course if you are so interested in locking down options and preventing players from being capable, Im not sure why you wouldnt just use some other genre-specific game system instead. "

You can see how this can be misconstrued.

They don't pick other systems becaus they like the way hero runs, they like hero. On the same token I don't know why they'd consider any of these options "unhero".

We all get to run these games with what we like and leave out what we don't like. Some people like narrowly defined character parameters, others like to let their PC's run wild, and it's all equally "Hero".

I think we've made enough of an arguement pro DB to explain the importants of it's inclusion. It's a valuable tool, and a fun one.

Well, as I pointed out in other posts, my take on the HERO System and others takes on it are bound to be different. To me limiting design options to much runs counter to the reasons why I use the HERO System.

Let me put it this way:

Personally Im willing to eat the overhead of the HERO System because of the expansiveness of the possibilities intrinsic to the HERO System. But if I wanted to run a game with narrowly defined abilities that removed most of the options from players I wouldnt do it with the HERO System. Thats like using an Elephant Gun to swat a fly IMO. I'd instead use some other simplified system and focus on the plot and campaign rather than the mechanics of each character and NPC.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Telling people to play another system is fairly insulting at a message board for their favorite system.

"Of course if you are so interested in locking down options and preventing players from being capable, Im not sure why you wouldnt just use some other genre-specific game system instead. "

You can see how this can be misconstrued.

If by misconstrued you mean altered to mean something that was never suggested, then sure, any statement can be "miscontrued" in that way.

Youll notice that I didnt tell the poster to play another system. I said Im not sure why they wouldnt play a system more tailored to a specific genre if they want to lock down options and prevent characters from being capable.

Theres a big difference between:

"Play a different game system!"

and

"Im not sure why you wouldnt play a different game system that is more similar out of the box to what you are trying to achieve."

Its akin to saying to someone that buys a big toolbox full of tools and spends a lot of time taking tools out of the box, why dont you just buy a kit that only has the tools you want?

Down boy!!!

KS, you're not a bad guy but you are being an ass. Your statement can easily be seen as a arrogant and condesending. I don't care what you meant, I don't care what you intended. It's not my fault that it's easy to misconstrue your statement.

I do apologize that your statement was misinterpritted. That's not as much the reader's fault as the writer's though. It happens to us all...now let us move on.

Down boy!!!

KS, you're not a bad guy but you are being an ass. Your statement can easily be seen as a arrogant and condesending. I don't care what you meant, I don't care what you intended. It's not my fault that it's easy to misconstrue your statement.

I do apologize that your statement was misinterpritted. That's not as much the reader's fault as the writer's though. It happens to us all...now let us move on.

So, you get to imply that Im an arrogant condescending ass, and then suggest we just drop the whole subject and move on?

And speaking of condescending, dont you think addressing as if I were a pet dog ("Down boy") is a tad condescending?

That's quite a parting shot, dont you think? If you want to get nasty about it, since we live in the same city it would likely be easier if we just sat down over coffee and settled it. You could call me more names and get it out of your system.

Anything can be "misinterpreted". Your statement wasnt a misinterpretation, it was a fabrication. You accuse me of "Telling people to play another system", where in fact all I did was point out that Im not sure why they wouldnt use a system that starts off closer to what they wan't.

Thats like me saying, if you want to pull the engine out of your motorcycle and make it pedal-driven, Im not sure why you wouldnt just get a bicycle since it would probably be a better fit for what you are trying to do.

Nope, I'm done. Sorry for any insult or offense I've caused anyone. There are few enough Hero players in San Diego, no need to get into, or continue fights about things that aren't really that important, with one of them.

KS, sorry. I apologize, let's let this go and move on with our lives.

I do find it funny that the two people on the same side of the thread topic, were the two to get into a needless arguement :yes: . No hard feelings here, if there are still hard feelings on your side, I'm sorry, once again.