Faster than a speeding bullit...

bloomann

Hello I need help,

I wanted to build a sort of lo-fi superman, one that was more consistant with the early post pulp 30's 40's version then planet pushing God-Man. So my basic criteria for building him would be to follow the old syaing

"Faster then a speeding bullit, more powerful than a locomotive, able to leap tall buildings in a single bound"

the problem is: in game terms how fast is a speeding bullit?

how powerful is a locomotive?

okay able to leap tall buildings in a single bound is superleap...

so if I can get a handle on the bullit and locomotive angle I think I'll be able to wing the rest creating a lo-fi supes for an almost pulp like campaign (idea)

thanks e

Re: Faster than a speeding bullit...

Depends on the bullet and what it's fired from...

In 1930, a pistol could easily have a muzzle velocity of 420 m/s, in fact, the Red Army's Tokarev (pistol) could do just that. The M95 Revolver (also Red Army) fired at 272 m/s. The American M1 Garand (rifle) fired at 833-ish m/s.

The speed of sound at sea level is 340 m/s. So, essentially, you need supersonic speed.

More powerful than a locomotive... you just need to beat its strength, really. According to UV, a steam locomotive has 55 STR. (that's 11" of leaping right there, btw).

There's no reference for what a "tall building" is. The tallest building in 1931 was the good ol' Empire State at 381m. If you wanted to use that as your benchmark, you'd need about 180" of additional superleap to reach it's roof in a single bound (figuring 55 STR's 11" already). Thankfully, you can use noncombat modifiers for that to bring the crazy cost down.

Nothing short of a "bursting shell" could penetrate his skin (what's that, like 14 def resistant? Maybe some additional vs Stun damage due to HERO mechanics and to simulate his ability to shrug off being hit with every round from multiple tommy guns).

HOWEVER, "the" very original (and weaker) description is thus:

When maturity was reached, Clark Kent discovered he could easily leap 1/8th of a mile... hurdle a twenty story building...raise tremendous weights... run faster than an express train... and that nothing less than a bursting shell could penetrate his skin... and was created Superman! Champion of the Oppressed

So that's 100" of leaping total (including noncombat) for the 1/8th mile bit. Which, also, is sufficent to get over a 20 story building if you figure 2" per story (that's 40" of height... the 100" leap can reach 50" straight up).

His actual Strength is not measured (so choose what you like, still need 55+ to actually hold back a steam locomotive if you want to hang onto that). That's impressive enough, imo.

He needs to be able to run faster than 120" per turn (including noncombat - a train's Speed is 2, moving at 15" x4 noncom). Assuming you're a 4 SPD, that's really only +9" running at the base x2 noncombat to match velocity.

And, again, probably around 14 resistant defenses and maybe a little more nonresist or stun only (14 can bounce the average roll of a 1.5d6 RKA stunwise, and up to 4d6 RKA bodywise).

So, even at his inception, Superman was a rough mutha. And this doesn't take into account that he was intended to be super in both mind and body (Krypton was originally described as a world of supermen at the ultimate peak of perfection). Essenitally, the Man of Steel was an attempt to one-up the Man of Bronze and we all know Doc Savage was more than a handful.

Actually, I was wrong with that original quote.

As the lad grew older, he learned to his delight that he could hurdle skyscrapers...leap an eighth of a mile ... raise tremendous weights (shown lifting a car overhead which is roughly, what, 2 tons) ... run faster than a streamline train (I used a steam engine above) ... and nothing less than a bursting shell could penetrate his skin!

In that first issue (1939) he was also shown to be able to snatch a pistol out of someone's hand and crush the barrel (one handed) and tear down a steel door. He was also able to lift an automobile, one handed, that contained 3 passengers. He also bent an iron bar thicker than the average broomstick with ease.

As for agility, he was able to run on telephone wires while off balance (a guy tucked under one arm).

He was able to swim faster than a steamship, as well.

Later on, they give details as to his powers, too. He was able to move 100m in 2 seconds, for example (1941) and it just kind of slowly escalated to be more super.

You can calculate muzzle velocities if you want, but as far as game terms are concerned, a bullet (and indeed, any ranged attack that is not bought with some sort of limitation to change this fact) is essentially infinitely fast.

Actually, I was wrong with that original quote.

In that first issue (1939) he was also shown to be able to snatch a pistol out of someone's hand and crush the barrel (one handed) and tear down a steel door. He was also able to lift an automobile, one handed, that contained 3 passengers. He also bent an iron bar thicker than the average broomstick with ease.

Ah! I forgot you have that compilation of the early / best Supes comics. hardcover, right?

Used to have that too... but it's gone now... gone... :weep:

Thanks for the help guys, yeah I forgot about the 1930's Superman at Surbrooks, It does help put things in perspective. As Acroyear pointed out I would probably add swimming, and some agility skills. Also I think I'll make him even less resistant, 12 or 14 pd/ed. I'd like to keep his super leap for a "typical" tall building in the 30's, probably a 40 story building (or is that extremely tall, don't know). I remember the Leaping Lizard from the WWII champions supplement, I'll take a look at that as well. My other team members are:

Sir Wright (doc savage rip off)

L'Espada Rojo (Zorro's grandaughter)

The Lonsome Stranger (lone ranger clone with weird mystical side)

Zantar of the Jungle (Tarzan ripp off)

The Widow (a Shadow hommage)

I'd like to keep his super leap for a "typical" tall building in the 30's' date=' probably a 40 story building (or is that extremely tall, don't know). [/quote']

The quote for Superman was that he could "hurdle a twenty story building".

Exactly what "hurdle" means could be subject to interpretation, but I wouldn't be too fussy.

He should have swimming - he swam the Atlantic a couple of times early in his career.

The escalation in his power level began _very_ early, so the official initial statements about his abilities were very much starting points to be exceeded. But, frankly, I wouldn't stress too hard about it for a Champions character. Of course, you could always build him on 700 points - he'd be able to do everything he did from 1938-1940, easily. And probably 1941, to boot.