How do you reveal magic items?

tabascojunkie

How do you GMs out there go about letting your players know what the magic items are that they acquire? Just tell them, "hey, you got a +2 OCV chef's knife vs. zombies and garlic cloves" or make them detect and analyze magic on it? Or something else entirely? What about activation words or methods? Just curious. Thanks in advance. :thumbup:

Re: How do you reveal magic items?

Generally speaking, I let them know an item is magic, and what the magic does, as soon as they're in a situation where the magic works, ie, the first time someone uses that chef's knife against a zombie or a head of garlic. This is generally laziness on my part, though, since they wouldn't necessarily know the bonuses involved.

As far as activation words, I generally don't make items that require them, at least if I intend on letting the characters use it. I've always considered it essentially impossible to figure that sort of thing out without actually seeing it in use first.

It depends on the item. Item's that have a simple effect, such as add +1 DCV all the time, I usually tell the player if it is easier than not telling them. For other items, I usually let them experiment, or use a detect/analyze magic spell (or sometimes with a skill roll, such as KS: Legends) to see what things do. I normally only keep things secret if there is a reason for it - such as a curse, but even then, I'd let them know if they rolled well enough. Maybe.

For items with command words, I usually either give it to them if they can make the rolls (detect spell/knowledge skill perhaps), or make sure it is easily discovered/found. Adventure hook items are different. Some items, such as wands, I've let them try and experiment, and sometimes they can discover an items powers that way. I'll only give them the info that they would be aware of in that case.

All that said, I may not tell them the whole truth - such as if the DCV bonus is good vs everything, or has a flaw. I usually don't make things like that, but every once in a while I like to slip one in. Keeps them on their toes :sneaky:

Most of my items tend to be one of three activation methods:

1) Wear - the items use is immediately obvious to the character when it is worn.

2) Use - the items ability is clear from its use - most weapons fit into this category.

3) Concentration - the item is usually willed to work. Most items like this require some knowledge of what it does before the concentration will work. This makes KS: Legends and such a nice and useful skill.

Most items are either unique, or else fit an established pattern (such as a certain guild of armorer-mages use a standard style for magic swords, with standard effects). I don't have any assembly-line style of making items, but for some items there are patterns (such as certain runes, etc).

I do it a number of ways:

Many items -- mostly lesser items -- are bought as "independent." How it is revealed depends on the function. If it is simply a + OCV, I tell them what it is right off but the "in character" definition is "You pick up the weapon, it is unnaturally light and balanced, and the blade shows no need of sharpening." If it is a "Wand of Fireballs" I make them spend some time discovering its secrets, ie. they make an Analyze Magic roll and/or cast their Detect/Analyze Magic Spell (I make detect magic a descriminatory and/or analyze sense if they choose to buy it that way.)

If it is not independent, then they must spend character points to unlock the item's powers. This is generally for items with multiple powers (like a wizard's enchanted staff) or items of high power.

Adventurers (and their opponents) have had to do some of the following to figure out the workings of magic items:

Actively study the item while in use. So, if you are taking the Wand of Fireballs from your opponent, you better have listened to him when he said the power word, and watched how he waved it around.

Research the creator. Are there other documented items where the wizard used the names of his pets? Maybe that would be a good power word.

Experiment with the item. Of course, this works best for things with automatic activation, like worn items, and the like. Some effects may be too subtle; a sword that gives a +1 DCV could be mistaken for a weakness of the attacker.

Research the magic. Here's where those KS: Ancient artifacts and KS: Magic Woids and Phrases comes in.

Read the instructions. And some mages are just so helpful, that they provide the activation instructions. In past games, these tended to be primarily alchemic items. So, the Healing Potion has the label attached, "Applie Libberalley", and the Fireball Grenade has the label, "Brake Seele and Throwe". Of course, if the creator isn't all that friendly, the instructions may be dangerous, "Place the offering upon the altar, and raise the sacrificial dagger". And don't forget the chance for language problems, "What does it mean here, 'Tab B'?"

Lastly, I would allow a character to research the "magical weave" by using a proper Detect: analysis spell and a lot of research. "You sense a tight thread of Fire, entwined with a flow of Air, with just a hint of Earth binding and holding. It feels a lot like the flows of magical energies when you cast your Flamestrike, though held in check, waiting."

YMMV,

JoeG