Thanks to Keith Curtis...

Mark Taylor

Re: Thanks to Keith Curtis...

I see how I was mistaken to take the quantity of the adventures published in the 80's as an indicator that they were driving the industry. I also failed to consider that you would further reduce your audience by catering only to the GMs and not the players with adventures. Having been a GM almost immediately after discovering RPGs I have never thought from the player point-of-view.

To add my two cents, I think that to a great extent, the appeal of the D&D modules of the 80s was their inclusion of official source material. At that time, many hobby shops would carry only D&D materials. Adventure modules could be produced at a fast pace, while other types of supplements took some time to put together.

Imagine a hobby shop that sold only Hero products (including hard copies of Digital Hero). You could go in there every week, and most of the time the contents wouldn't change appreciably. You might end up picking up a few relatively cheap modules, especially given that there would be some new material in many of them.

I don't think we'll see that sort of environment any time soon. A real pity, since that Hero-only hobby shop is a beautiful dream...

1. A lot of those early modules were really short. I wish it was still possible to make money publishing 8- to 24-page products! ;)

Somebody -- I forget who -- puts out little 12-16 page adventure "pamphlets" for d20. They're really small (maybe 5.5x8"), B&W with a 4-color glossy cardstock cover, staple bound. I bought a bunch of 'em for the plot seeds and maps. They're only $3-5 apiece, so it wasn't a huge investment. They couldn't have cost much to print, but OTOH I can't imagine there's much margin in them.

I'd love to see Hero put out something like that, though -- one-off short adventures with a map, a bad guy, and a couple of plot seeds...

Bill.

(Until then, it may be time to put something else together for DH or the downloads page...) ;)

I got a couple of those $3 - $5 mini-modules for free in the convention bag they gave out at a Con here in Jersey. I wanted my money back.

Yeah, you're probably right now that I think about it. I remember I went through a stack of 'em as high as my leg before I found 3 or 4 that I liked. It's a cool concept, but I guess quality control is an issue. :/

Bill.