Bringing new players to HERO System.

Guest Black Lotus

Re: Bringing new players to HERO System.

Oh, John, I know there are plenty of players; the question I wonder about, is how many would be interested in a custom campaign powered by an obscure (to many people, at least) game system. (Even if it is the best).

It's a "We'll have to wait and see" thing for sure. Oh, and I ALWAYS put up a nifty hi-res advertisement in every game store around here when I want to host a campaign... been a while, though.

My issue has always been that roleplayers of any ilk are a often a shady and mysterious lot. Do you advertise your gamer credentials on your desk at work? Where a "I killed the dragon!" T-shirt? Use your dice as stress balls?

No on most counts I suspect.

My question is, other than gaming shops, where do you find gamers?

Hawksmoor

Guest Black Lotus

Around here, that's all it takes. If I put up three or four nifty posters, I'll have at least 4 players within a week. Not that I have any particular reputation, but my "ads" are always tantalizing and full of fluff paragraphs and logos and pictures. I try to grab their attention, and get them excited about playing.

But! What else do I do? I'm not ashamed to be a gamer. I'll tell anyone right to their face: "Hey, I play pen-and-paper RPGs! Want to try one out? It's more fun than you think!"

When I was in the military, a devoutly Christian friend asked me about Dungeons and Dragons. I explained that the stigma against D&D stemmed from a few individuals who went too far -- including one pair who killed their parents -- and that the hobby wasn't inherently "evil". I had him playing Alternity the next month.

*Shrug* So it all depends on circumstances. Aside from ads, I mainly find players through chance.

Bringing D20 players to HERO System.

Oh' date=' John, I know there are plenty of players; the question I wonder about, is how many would be interested in a custom campaign powered by an obscure (to many people, at least) game system. (Even if it is the best).[/quote']

I am often perplexed by people's resistance to Hero. Since you are just posting broad advertisements right now, I would suggest not mentioning the system. Why give them a reason to say no? If they are interested in the campaign and ask for further information (like which system) then you can drop Hero on them. The difference being once you have opened discussion and they express reservations about Hero you have an opportunity to specifically address those reserverations.

If you run into a concern you are not sure how to deal with, bring it here. There are enough fanbois here to Dispell any nay-sayers.

I'm curious because the difficulty of bring new players to HERO System has been much discussed on this board (and on RPG.net). I'm just about to begin two HERO campaings (Ninja HERO and Fantasy HERO) and have six players signed up for each. Some of these players have heard negative things about HERO system (the usual - overly complicated, difficult math, yadda yadda) but still it took very little persausion on my part to convince them to give it a try. I've just told the players that I'll make it as easy for them to get into the system as I can, that I think most of the criticisms are greatly exaggerated at best, and that if they have a desire to learn more about the system than they will need to play then Sidekick provides an excellent (and cheap) introduction.

What are the main difficulties that other people find in trying to persuade new players to give it a chance?

Heck, if they want over complicated math problems during character creation...show them a copy of Space Opera. There were so many equations for calculating all of the abilities for your character, you had to be a whiz at algebra just to create your character.

The great selling point to the HERO System is it's flexibility. It handles every genre well. It's like the good book says...THE ULTIMATE GAMER'S TOOLKIT. Sell these new, reluctant players on it's flexibility. Almost all RPGs have some element of mathematics in them, and the mathematics for HERO is relatively basic.

It's a great system...and your love of the system will be it's greatest selling point. People will always buy into something if what you are selling them is something you truly believe to be a good deal.

Guest Black Lotus

Yes, I'm sure you're right. As long as the GM knows what he's doing, people should be willing to come along for the ride.

That means I'll have to finish memorizing the Powers chapter! :jawdrop: