Which NON-Star Hero Book For Star Hero?

JohnTaber

Hi Fellow Hero Fanatics,

I have all of the Star Hero related books and the Ultimate Vehicle book but with the great 50% off sale at the online store I was thinking of another purchase. Which of the following do you think would be more useful for a Star Hero game?

+ Monsters, Minions, and Mauraders

+ Vehicle Sourcebook

My first instinct is the vehicle book but frankly my campaign does not deal with vehichle game mechanics too often. I think the other might be more useful for space aliens, guards, etc.

Thoughts? Does anyone have both of these and can give me an educated opinion? :D

Re: Which NON-Star Hero Book For Star Hero?

Educated? Why? Emotional giddy fanboy responses are WAY more fun. I hate educated opinions. BOOOOring.

I say get them both. Don't choose. Stop pretending to be some conservative budget conscious gaming geek and take the plunge. I mean, the vehicle book is super nifty keen. If you ever WANTED to use a vehicle for any game BAM there it is.

Now, MMM is juicy monster goodness. No cheese here. Good stuff all around. We recently came across a gaggle of black Orcs that made us cry like little girlies. Now black Orcs in space? That scares me. I mean, give them a different name of course, but, OUCH, that is going to hurt.

You need both. Stop kidding yourself. It hurts more. :D

Do you have the HERO System Bestiary? That would be my first recommendation for any HERO book outside of the line-dedicated series. The section on sci-fi creatures would be particularly useful, not just including "creatures" but also robots and androids, animal-human hybrids (good for aliens), cyborg animals, giant planet-threatening machines and organisms, and even setting-specific creatures like Xenovore war animals. There are also a bunch of creature ability templates to help you customize your own unique critters.

The Vehicle Sourcebook is great, but I wouldn't buy it for Star Hero use unless you're setting a major story arc on a planet. The only "space-capable without major rewrite" vehicle in there is the space shuttle.

I don't have MMM yet, but I would think turning fantasy aliens into space aliens would be a piece of cake.

I would go for MMM over the vehicle book. It doesn't have a whole lot of stuff I can see using in a star hero campaign, while MMM can be used for a whole lot of different things, especially in an old-school-trek sort of [shatner_voice] creatures.....on...the..planet....must......rescue.....bones...[/shatner_voice] sort of way.

Honestly though, I would think about TUMA. I find it hard to do Star Hero without being able to write up the klingon or wookie or whoever martial arts style.... The spacers toolkit is a decent book as well.

Non-Star Hero books that work well with Star Hero:

The Ultimate Martial Artist: essential! Martial Arts will be just as relevant in the future as it is today as it was in yesteryear. Especially if many civilized worlds have gun control laws (as most of them probably should). Besides, its fun to present alien martial styles to your players. You can actually see them salivate at the chance to learn some new alien techniques...

Hero System Beastiary: essential! What are alien worlds without alien creatures to populate them? You gotta have a source for the various Banthas and Rancors and Tauntauns and whatnot. The Beastiary not only presents a few dozen predesigned creatures ready-to-use, but it tells you how to build new ones as well.

The Ultimate Vehicle: essential! As important as vehicles are now in our society, unless your campaign includes teleportation technology, they will likely become even more important and necessary in the future. What kinda scifi game would it be without walkers, hovercraft and starfighters? Sure, there are starship design rules in Star Hero, but these are very basic. TUV expands on these rules a hundred fold, and allow for any type of vehicle design. Get it!

Monsters Minions and Marauders: This is mainly aimed at Fantasy oriented campaigns, but thats not to say that the creatures found within couldn't be turned into alien creatures with a few well-placed tweaks.

Ninja Hero: Not as essential as UMA, but thats not to say it doesn't fit for specific styles of Star Hero campaigns. Who's to say you couldn't have a martial arts oriented space campaign? Thats exactly what Star Wars is! (especially the most recent ones)

The Ultimate Mentalist: When is the 5ed version of this book supposed to come out anyway? Doesn't Steve and co. realise just how useful this book would be for Star Hero campaigns? Come on guys, we need this book!!! My 4th edition version was awsome. If you can scare up a copy of this version, I'd recommend getting it.

The Ultimate Mentalist: When is the 5ed version of this book supposed to come out anyway? Doesn't Steve and co. realise just how useful this book would be for Star Hero campaigns? Come on guys' date=' we need this book!!! My 4th edition version was awsome. If you can scare up a copy of this version, I'd recommend getting it.[/quote']

Just for people who aren't aware of it, the 4E Ultimate Mentalist is available as a PDF from the Online Store. I know most people prefer paper books, but it is only $9.95. I agree that it's still very useful, even though a portion of what it covers has been incorporated into FREd. The expanded explanations and options are worth the price IMO.

The 5E version is tentatively scheduled for "late 2005". Personally I'd have put it ahead of "Ultimate Speedster" and "Ultimate Metamorph," especially since so much of it is essentially written already (like UMA). But of course that's DOJ's call.