GURPS Lasers?

L. Marcus

Re: GURPS Lasers?

This can easily be accomplished in HERO now thanks to the new option, Boostable Charges.

Check the 5ed rulesbook on page 183 under Boostable Charges. I believe this is exactly what you are looking for.

The expenditure of additional charges can represent multiple shots fired in a burst. Thus, they are "added together" to increase the damage class of the attack.

BONG!

This can easily be accomplished in HERO now thanks to the new option' date=' [i']Boostable Charges[/i].

Check the 5ed rulesbook on page 183 under Boostable Charges. I believe this is exactly what you are looking for.

The expenditure of additional charges can represent multiple shots fired in a burst. Thus, they are "added together" to increase the damage class of the attack.

BONG!

Brilliant. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, Boostable Charges is the easiest way to model that specific ability.

There are other ways to get it more "accurate" though if you don't mind jumping through hoops and a custom limitation or two.

First, decide what the maximum damage is for the weapon if all the shots in a burst hit. Try to make it an even multiple of the rate of fire. Example:

The Lazerlash is an autofire Lasergun that fires 5 pulses per second. Thus we make the Lazerlash's maximum damage 10DC (3D6+1K).

To find out the "Damage per shot" divide the maximum DC by the burst value. Using our above example, the Lazerlash does 2DC per single shot (1/2D6K)

Apply a custom limitation to the attack; Staged Damage Effect which means that the maximum damage depends on the success of the attack roll. Apply a -1/4 limitation to each "stage" of damage per point needed to hit on the attack roll:

+0: 2DC (10) -0 (10)

+1: 2DC (10) -1/4 (8)

+2: 2DC (10) -1/2 (7)

+3: 2DC (10) -3/4 (6)

+4: 2DC (10) -1 (5)

Total Cost: 36pts

Thus, if a character needs a 12 or less to hit and rolls a 10 making the attack roll by +2, a total of 6 DC is achieved and he gets to roll 2D6K for the attack.

Its not complicated but its not technically "legal". If the GM is okay with that custom limitation, then you should be good to go.

This is much closer to the GURPS method than Boostable Charges...

Hmm, Boostable Charges causes the Power to develop an Burnout Roll after it is used, which gets worse as you use it more and more often. I don't know if that's exactly what you want. I suppose you could increase the bonus to eliminate the problem (2 or 3 levels up on the Charges chart instead of 1), but I suspect this wasn't done for balance reasons, so beware.

I'd just establish some number of dice as maximum effect, then put the entire Power on the Limitation: Does 1d6 + 1d6 per 2 points To Hit Roll Was Made By. So, you'd have:

Laser Rifle: 6d6 RKA (Energy), Does 1d6 + 1d6 Per 2 Points To Hit Roll Was Made By (-1), OAF (-1). Total cost: 30.

This matches the HERO Autofire rules, but allows the shots to add together for final damage. You might increase to 1d6 per point the to hit roll is made by, for say a -1/2, or adjust as you like.