Superhero Definition

schir1964

Was thinking more on this issue, and wanted to get some answers on are much narrower question concerning the definition of Superhero.

Should the title of Hero or Superhero imply "actively seeking out situations that require heroic actions"?

To contrast:

One person living an ordinary life can do something heroic, but don't strive to do such and would return to normal living after doing said heroic action.

Another person chooses to spend time on regular basis actively seeking out situations that might require heroic deeds.

Or to put it another way, does the title Hero or Superhero imply somone who views heroic deeds as a profession?

What are your thought?

- Christopher Mullins

Re: Superhero Definition

All comic book superheroes are weirdness magnets anyway so they don't have to go out looking for adventure' date=' it'll find them. The plane you're travelling on get's hijacked by the Flying Tiger, go to Canada and you meet the Wendigo, etc.[/quote']

But I would expect such a person not to have a costume and not have a secret identity, etc...

Simply because, they aren't "actively seeking" enemies and wouldn't expect them to show up. So, this doesn't really answer my question.

I think of heroism, and heroes, as people that don't go out with the intent of being a hero or performing heroic deeds, but one that simply performs such actions without regard to personal consequences (i.e. personal safety).

A superhero would be such a person that has superpowers. Hence the term.

And thus, it's possible for a person to be a hero (or superhero) once, and then never be seen again. It's just that there are all those that continualy find themselves in situations where they end up acting heroicly so often they get these colorful books written about them ;).

But I would expect such a person not to have a costume and not have a secret identity, etc...

Simply because, they aren't "actively seeking" enemies and wouldn't expect them to show up. So, this doesn't really answer my question.

Well, after the third incident, I'd expect a character in such a situation to "expect them to turn up" :)

"Now let's see... I wan on the plane, and it was hijacked... supergoons tried to crash the wedding I attended... and when I tried to deposit my paycheck the bank was robbed... Okay, I'm going to be extra careful at the funfair tonight..."

Whether they'd actually go the costume route is another thing entirely, of course...

Plus superheroes aren't just about the fighting with supervillains, despite what so many people seem to think. They're also about responding to emergency situations (houses on fire, cats up trees). Someone who wants to use their powersandabilitiesbeyondthoseofmortalman to help without being hounded by the press afterwards might want to be anonymous & wear some kind of mask...

Hm. This post was meant to be just a one-line reply, and now look what's happened...