The Last Word

Bazza

Re: The Last Word

When you hear the term "peer reviewed journal", the folks who read the papers and criticize their scientific content & merit prior to publication are the referees. Mostly the referee process is anonymous (only the editorial office knows who the referee is, unless the referee him/herself waives that anonymity), and it's unpaid; it's a service to the scientific community. You have to be familiar with the subject matter in the manuscript in order to do the referee job, of course.

I've done it lots, just not since bailing out of mainstream astronomy in 2000. But the editor is a friend whom I saw at the AAS meeting back in January and my working at the university can be taken as a declaration that I'm back in the game. And, the paper is very close to the stuff I used to do.

I do computer models for evaluating screening strategies for cancer. I work with two, one for breast cancer, one for ovary cancer. Hence, the references to "the breast model" and "the ovary model". It just sounds really strange in any other context.

I do computer models for evaluating screening strategies for cancer. I work with two' date=' one for breast cancer, one for ovary cancer. Hence, the references to "the breast model" and "the ovary model". It just sounds [i']really strange[/i] in any other context.

Ah. Well, that makes perfect sense, then. I'd forgotten about your other line of work.

Yes, despite the username. I am not at my most intelligent this week.