The Last Word

Bazza

Re: The Last Word

In American English idiom as I understand it, to be "chopped liver" is to be incapable of satisfactorily doing or being anything. (The literal exception of being satisfactory pet food is always overlooked.)

I believe you, without even having heard the story.

We used to get paper wasps nesting in our yard every year. We left them alone, they left us alone. Except for the time they made the nest right next to the front door. One of them mistook the inside of my sister's hood for the nest, and decided her face was an intruder.

Then another year, we got yellowjackets inside the walls. When the exterminator poisoned them, it took them about a week to die off. In the meantime, they'd heave themselves indoors to escape the poison, embedding themselves into us as they died. I stopped sleeping under my covers for a while, and just wrapped myself up in my quilt, all cocoon-like.

Last summer we had some wasps take up residence under a box with an aerosol can in it near the front doorstep. That aerosol can complicated things, so I couldn't use either fire or cryogens against the wasps, so I had to go the poison spray route. (I do not like using poisons in or close to the house.) One of them got me, and it took multiple attacks to finish off the colony.

I dunno. I don't care to have them close by, but I can't say I hate wasps. They're just inconvenient around the house, and at cookouts and picnics. Otherwise, they're sort of interesting, and they do keep some other invertebrates under control. Sort of a "they in their place, and I in mine" respect. Nothing like the real hatred I have for mosquitos and other insects that try feeding on me, whom I would gleefully extirpate if I could.

go on' date=' try. :P[/quote']

They are vicious little creatures whose entire function in life (beyond the 3 F's) is to cause as much pain as insectly possible. To that end, they're mean, and tenacious, and I don't like them.

Does that about cover it?