The Last Word

Bazza

Re: The Last Word

What, insomnia? Or just getting to bed too late?

I have the worst of ALL worlds. I have a hard time getting to sleep, I often wake up in the middle of the night, but then I oversleep. I think the main problem is that I sleep too lightly, so I'm not getting enough of that dead-to-the-world, deep sleep, and so my body attempts to compensate by making me sleep LONGER.

Whatever it is, it leaves me pretty zonked. = v =

It gets lighter earlier here (and not just relative to the earth's spin). And yet, having light pouring in through my bedroom window never convinces me it's wakey time. Nor do loud noises. Earthquake might, because that would be new and unexpected.

You might laugh at the idea of an earthquake in Western North Carolina, but we had one last year. It was a tiny one, and all I remember was hearing a loud scrapey noise and thinking there was something under the floor, but it WAS an earthquake.

Even the slightest rumble makes all the news around here. The Appalachians are along a fault line, though.

A town near me is named Hot Springs, for good reason.

Oh, smaller ones make the news around here, but no one notices them until they here it on the news.

I live on the New Madrid faultline BTW.

We got earthquakes in Japan when we lived there. We quickly learned to ignore the little ones. One night there was a good' date=' hard knock while I was lying in bed. Fortunately there were never any real emergencies.[/quote']

My wife spent three years in Japan. First as an echange student and while waiting around for orientation, a small earthquake hit. You could tell the Californians from most of the rest since they were the ones discussing if it was a high 4 or low 5...

Oh, smaller ones make the news around here, but no one notices them until they here it on the news.

I live on the New Madrid faultline BTW.

I am, luckily, far away from fault lines, and also not within range to be directly affected by flooding or landslides, which also occur with some frequency in these parts.

Everyone is Seattle is waiting for the Big One, which happens every 500 years or so. The last one was about 400 years ago, and the geological features associated with them means we can expect it to be stronger than anything in recorded history.