The Last Word

Bazza

Re: The Last Word

There was a quote about science vs religion I've always like...

Science asks "How did God create us?" Religion asks "Why?"

I personally believe that to be true. Then again, I am non-conforming, tree-hugging, Earth-worshipping Pagan who believes in intelligent design and re-incarnation. Throw a little a bit of the concept of ascension from Star Gate SG-1 and there you go. *shrugs and puts on flame-resistant tights*

There was a quote about science vs religion I've always like...

Science asks "How did God create us?" Religion asks "Why?"

I personally believe that to be true. Then again, I am non-conforming, tree-hugging, Earth-worshipping Pagan who believes in intelligent design and re-incarnation. Throw a little a bit of the concept of ascension from Star Gate SG-1 and there you go. *shrugs and puts on flame-resistant tights*

What about Gnostic? if so I have a book you may like....

What about Gnostic? if so I have a book you may like....

I'm less Gnostic than I am Universal Unitarianist (all faiths have some truth, but there is no "one-true" religion. Have you read God's Debris by Scott Adams (the writer of Dilbert)? Very interesting ideas.

As some people are easily offended (and I don't want to turn this thread into a religious debate), I won't post my exact beliefs unless requested.

I'm less Gnostic than I am Universal Unitarianist (all faiths have some truth, but there is no "one-true" religion. Have you read God's Debris by Scott Adams (the writer of Dilbert)? Very interesting ideas.

As some people are easily offended (and I don't want to turn this thread into a religious debate), I won't post my exact beliefs unless requested.

I was thinking more of Not In His Image by John Lamb Lash, but I'll take a look at your book, thanks.

I have something in my briefcase to be read sort of along these lines' date=' but with the end of the term coming it is going to be at least two weeks before I crack it open at all.[/quote'] May I ask what it is, or do I have to wait until you crake open your briefcase? :)

May I ask what it is' date=' or do I have to wait until you crake open your briefcase? :)[/quote']

"The Varieties of Scientific Experience", subtitled "A personal view of the search for God". Writings by Carl Sagan, but really put together by ("Edited by") his wife, Ann Druyan; copyright date 2006, en years after Sagan's death. This has been lent to me by a colleague who is co-teaching an honors interdisciplinary class about science and religion, and Sagan's writings come closest to providing a scientist's view on religion that my colleague is (as a scientist) comfortable with. I'll have time in a couple weeks to try to get into it....

"The Varieties of Scientific Experience"' date=' subtitled "A personal view of the search for God". Writings by Carl Sagan, but really put together by ("Edited by") his wife, Ann Druyan; copyright date 2006, en years after Sagan's death. This has been lent to me by a colleague who is co-teaching an honors interdisciplinary class about science and religion, and Sagan's writings come closest to providing a scientist's view on religion that my colleague is (as a scientist) comfortable with. I'll have time in a couple weeks to try to get into it....[/quote']

Ah thanks.

Slang for breakfast.

So Brekkies are like Trekkies, only they are obsessed with breakfast foods. Hrm. I wonder if they have arguments about the virtues of cereal vs heavy-hitters like Bacon & Eggs or Biscuits & Gravy.

Mmm... Biscuites & Gravy... Okay! time to get some food!