The Last Word

Bazza

Re: The Last Word

Back in the days when you had to go out on the observing floor to guide or set your telescope on a target, as a conventionally-mounted telescope tracked across the sky the tail end of it (where your instrument usually was) would rotate further from the floor as time went on. The observing floor was usually a pair of sections of floor with (removable) chain fences around them, and if it was high enough you climbed up ladders or a rolling stair-ladder to get up there from the main (fixed) floor. The two sections didn't have to be moved together, and there was usually a hole near the telescope mount. It is quite possible to miss the other section of the observing platform and fall through that hole in the dark, and on thankfully rare occasions this would cause serious injury. I know whenever I had a run on a telescope that was had this set-up, I took a couple of ankle wraps with me, because I knew I was going to be abusing my ankles climbing and falling in the dark.

Nowadays most telescopes are automated enough that you don't have to do the jungle-gym-in-the-dark thing any more, but there are a couple where you do need to negotiate the observing platform in the dark.

Astronomers actually know that ETs exist and it is an open secret amongst them. After all this is a group of professionals who have been perving on ETs for the past couple of hundred years.

"Hey dude, check out the hottie on Omnicron Delta 5 tonight"

and ps: eye of God. Cosmos perving back...nuff said. :winkgrin:

Astronomers actually know that ETs exist and it is an open secret amongst them. After all this is a group of professionals who have been perving on ETs for the past couple of hundred years.

"Hey dude, check out the hottie on Omnicron Delta 5 tonight"

and ps: eye of God. Cosmos perving back...nuff said. :winkgrin:

"perving" ... hmmm.

They have next to zero production cost, so they are insanely cheap to broadcast. No fees to anyone for any kind of news, music, or content of any sort, just blather from people who call in and give you their words for nothing ... and even at that price you're being overbilled for them.

The real frustration is if you are in range of someone who cannot let ANYONE have the last word ... even themselves.

I've got a bible-thumper relative like that. Can't see me without telling me I'm going to spending eternity with ol' Scratch. Better someone with jock-itch than Beezle-bubba *shudder*

So naturally when he's in town I wear my invisibility cloak... which is broken (it only moves my image out of town... doesn't hide it. I want my money back!)

No' date=' mostly they're people who call into (or host) political talk radio.[/quote']

*hacking-cough* Rush Limbaugh! *cough-cough*

I've got a bible-thumper relative like that. Can't see me without telling me I'm going to spending eternity with ol' Scratch. Better someone with jock-itch than Beezle-bubba *shudder*
Get them to read Not In His Image. :eg::celebrate

That is of course if you want to lose the relative as a friend.