The Last Word

Bazza

Re: The Last Word

When it gets to 90 F/32 C in these parts, usually the airflow is from inland rather than the ocean, and one doesn't have to go far inland on this side of North America to reach rather arid regions. That means the incoming warm air has been well dried. So when it's really hot here, it is not humid, usually. I've experienced hot and humid days here, but very rarely.

if I understood what that means, I could respond.

:)

Once upon a time, audio was sold on flat vinyl platters called "records" or "LP's". Records were played on a device called a "turn table" at various speeds represented in terms of revolutions per minute (RPM). "LP's" were usually played back at 33 1/3 RPM.

Thus ends the history lesson.

Doc

One kitten left from the previous batch. That one had surgery Friday ... he had one undescended testicle (which made the quicky spay & neuter clinic reject him in the first place) so they had to find the undescended one. Also turns out ... he has only one kidney. So he'll be labeled a "special medical needs" kitty.

Oddly enough, I know a human who also was born with only one kidney. He didn't find out until it started failing. Fortunately his brother was (1) a tissue match and (2) had one to spare, so the transplant was done, and he's doing fine now, some 10+ years later.

Cats, of course, don't have that option.

Actually' date=' despite the frequent precipitation, Seattle is in an arid zone. They get rain almost every day, but not much rain.[/quote']

... Is it BC that has a rain forest?

Seattle is on the east side of the largest fjord system in the world, Puget Sound. That system is partly glacial cut, of course, but it's also atop a tectonic plate boundary. West of it is the Juan de Fuca plate, which is being subducted under North America, and is a big part of the reason for the nice explosively-active volcanos in the Cascades.

Most of the Juan de Fuca plate is mountains, the Olympic Peninsula. Seattle is in something of a rain shadow of those mountains. There is a temperate rain forest in Washington, but it's on the west side of those mountains.