New Sentinels stats

Chuckg

Re: New Sentinels stats

I've noticed that a couple of characters have bought off more than one figured characteristic. I guess this is an accepted house rule in the game.

My take...at that power level, sometimes the Primary Characteristics that fit the concept generate Figured Characteristics that exceed the concept.

My take...at that power level' date=' sometimes the Primary Characteristics that fit the concept generate Figured Characteristics that exceed the concept.[/quote']

I suppose...

Microman II's construction kind of jumped out at me. He's bought up his Con to 40, but he's sold back 3 of the 4 figured characteristics related to that stat to significant degrees.

cost

(20) +10 Con

(-2) -2 ED

(-10)-20 end

(-5) -5 Stun

= net of 3 real pts. spent for +10 Con and +2 Rec

If you just buy 2 pts. of Recovery without going through "Constitution-Gate", it'll cost you an additional pt.

If you do this with Str it works out the same: +10 Str and +2 Rec for 3pts. and if he sold back the Rec for either example (why not at this point ?) it comes out to -1 real pt. (!) for each +10 Str or +10 Con.

I'm not the GM, so I don't actually care, but I was just amused to see such a high point character running his figured characteristics through an offshore Cayman Islands account.

Well, I know why the PD/ED was bought down: convenience of defining all the defense as Armor. As for the END and STUN buy-down: you'd be surprised how tight points can get, even when building on 750. Besides, I'm happy with my END and STUN as is; being easier to knock out than to either stun or injure is fine with me, and I've yet to run into END problems ( my main defense only costs END to turn on, and most of my usual attacks are either reduced END cost, or seriously effective on targets that are vulnerable ).

Well' date=' I know why the PD/ED was bought down: convenience of defining all the defense as Armor. As for the END and STUN buy-down: you'd be surprised how tight points can get, even when building on 750. Besides, I'm happy with my END and STUN as is; being easier to knock out than to either stun or injure is fine with me, and I've yet to run into END problems ( my main defense only costs END to turn on, and most of my usual attacks are either reduced END cost, or seriously effective on targets that are vulnerable ).[/quote']

Barring GM's permission, buying down more than one figured characteristic is illegal, probably for the reasons I illustrated.

A more conventional (and legal) way to achieve the effect you wanted would be through use of the "No Figured Characteristic" limit applied to the appropriate primary stats at certain points and simply buying up the figured stats at the level you wanted. It'll cost more, but again, it'll be legal.

Anyways, this is all academic. If your GM allows this kind of character construction, that's all that matters.

You know, I didn't even know there *was* such a rule limiting number of secondary characteristic sellbacks.

As for the No Figured Characteristic method, I see what your going at, but I really don't see it as being much simpler. I doubt it would change the exact point value much at all, either.

Besides, if you wanna nitpick about booklegality, take a look at the stop signs in the frameworks. :P