Catch the fever!

Blue

"Caaaaaatch it!!!"

-Homer Simpson

Sicknesses, afflictions, maladies, viruses, infections... Do you have a particular illness or illnesses that have taken center stage in your game? Which afflictions?

Did you build them (in a "Power" sense) or were they GM devices, the way you don't bother to build a tree or a box of Kleenex?

Do your heroes catch common colds and maladies of humans? (I'm thinking of Peter Parker running around as Spiderman and sneezing during fights or Captain Marvel dying of cancer).

Re: Catch the fever!

The Virus: A Nanite virus that turns organic beings into cyborgs, which make more, which make more, which...has turned up many times in my campaigns since I first read the idea around 1994. One of my favorite themes.

The Wildcard Virus: Many of my games were set in worlds where The Wildcard or something close was the source of most (but not all) super powers.

Riders: Sentient virus that takes over its host. Used a few times.

Red Mary: A villain who could spread a variety of plagues, including one that caused humans to become monsters. Almost impossible to kill, and completely mad. She was in the thrall of Cthuloid horrors.

Re: Catch the fever!

Well, seems disease is not all the popular (so to speak). I think I know how I would build these, but I thought I would see what everyone else's take is, since they are often better than my own:

Mnemonia: People suffer from short term memory issues.

Hyperplexy: Characters spontaneously reach a hyperactive state where they feel the need to expend all of their END, often causing themselves STUN damage.

Molecular Dystopia (aka "TAS" or "Transporter Accident Syndrome"): Character has difficulty remaining cohesive on a molecular level, and have been known to spontaneously blow apart (fatally) but not always.