Heroic Damage

Long time player, first time Ref. :)

I've recently converted some Cyberpunk adventures (Media Junkie: Take One and Final Cut) to present day HERO. The players are 75/75 non-supers (normals trying to make a name for themselves in a champions universe) and I've gotten myself all turned around trying to work out how much damage they should be throwing out (I originally just took the superhero approach and one guy was doing 8D6).

Assuming 15 STR...

Nunchaku:

3D6 HA w/STR Min 7

= 4 1/2 D6 damage right?

= 6D6 w/Martial Strike?

Katana:

1 1/2 D6 HKA w/STR Min 12 (two hands) or 14 (one handed)

= 1 1/2 D6 one handed, 2D6 two handed (w/STR only)

= 2D6 one handed, 2D6 +1 two handed (w/Martial Strike)

= 2D6 +1 one handed, 2 1/2 D6 two handed (w/Offensive Strike)

[i rounded up the damage with two hands to make it make a difference]

...correct?

These damage rules are among the most complex in Hero -- don't feel bad about being a little unsure. :)

4 1/2d6 is right, assuming you're allowing the half-die which I believe is optional (but I recommend it).

Martial Strike would add 2d6, but the weapon caps at 2x base damage if you are in a heroic campaign. If you're in a superheroic campaign, the STR adds to the base damage, so you'd do 4 1/2 + 2d6 = 6 1/2d6.

For the Katana, technically the extra 3 STR doesn't do anything, you need a full 5 to push the damage up 1 DC. As GM, though, it's certainly within your power to round to make things more interesting; just be aware that some players may be tempted to take advantage of this. By the rules, it would be:

1 1/2d6 base damage 1H or 2H;

2d6 with Martial Strike

2d6+1 with Off. Strike

Originally posted by Geoff Speare

These damage rules are among the most complex in Hero -- don't feel bad about being a little unsure. :)

4 1/2d6 is right, assuming you're allowing the half-die which I believe is optional (but I recommend it).

Martial Strike would add 2d6, but the weapon caps at 2x base damage if you are in a heroic campaign. If you're in a superheroic campaign, the STR adds to the base damage, so you'd do 4 1/2 + 2d6 = 6 1/2d6.

For the Katana, technically the extra 3 STR doesn't do anything, you need a full 5 to push the damage up 1 DC. As GM, though, it's certainly within your power to round to make things more interesting; just be aware that some players may be tempted to take advantage of this. By the rules, it would be:

1 1/2d6 base damage 1H or 2H;

2d6 with Martial Strike

2d6+1 with Off. Strike

I thought even in Heroic level games Martial damage bonuses were allowed to exceed the 2x weapon damage class rule. If its not allowed, then I guess its a (new) house rule 'cause that's what we've been doing in our Heroic games :)

Aroooo

Originally posted by Aroooo

I thought even in Heroic level games Martial damage bonuses were allowed to exceed the 2x weapon damage class rule. If its not allowed, then I guess its a (new) house rule 'cause that's what we've been doing in our Heroic games :)

Nope, maneuver bonuses are capped by the 2x limit. Extra DCs add to the base damage, but only for unarmed attacks.

Originally posted by Aroooo

Aroooo

It's not weapon killing attacks, it's martial killing attacks (killing strike) that have no cap.

Originally posted by Shadowpup

It's not weapon killing attacks, it's martial killing attacks (killing strike) that have no cap.

Increase its damage ad infinitum with Skill Levels? I don't think so. Per UMA, p. 94, K-damage can only go up to double the base DC.

Ah. True, but the same thing applies if you design your weapon with points. I don't think a "real weapon" (i.e., in a Heroic game) can be boosted above 2x its DC no matter what. Not sure about that one, though.

If a weapon is rated at 1d K, and it is a Heroic game where you did not pay points for the weapon, can you boost it above 2d K with extra DC? I'd say no.

If you mean that you can keep increasing the DC of the K-strike with extra DC, then sure. For instance, if you have the base K-strike for 1/2d, then buy extra DC until its base damage is 1d+1; you can then use extra STR and skill levels to boost it to 2.5d K.