XM8 Assualt Rifle.

Vanguard

Re: XM8 Assualt Rifle.

The M14 was used in GW1? Wow, did not know that. I am shocked because where are the spare parts coming from?

Actually, the M14 is still a standard issue with SEAL teams because of its accuracy and knockdown power.

Springfield Armory has M14s built under license -- the M1 series. I don't think spare parts would be much of a problem.

I could be wrong here, but I believe that the XM8 wins out over the OICW simply because it costs less to manufacture - not to mention that it is more versatile (in that it can be easily reconfigured), lighter weight, less bulky and probably more reliable and durable. Sure the OICW can do everything but cook you a steak dinner, but it is certainly more expensive. As far as replacing the M16, I don't see a problem. Some problems with the M16 were that it jammed relatively easily, required frequent maintainence, had sights that have to be zeroed before use, and it didn't retract. The XM8 solves all these problems and then some.

Why do you think that the AK-47 is such a popular weapon around the world? It's certainly not because it is the most technologically advanced, but because it is one of the world's most durable, reliable and easily manufactured assault rifles.

Guys I'm not sure the grunts in the field will have all the barrels and other gear with him all the time' date=' thats alot of extra weight. I think the weapon will be set up before the mission starts and only altered at base.[/quote']

I agree. I don't even think that you would have to build this weapon as a multipower since changing it's configuration is practically the same as picking up a new weapon and using it. But I suppose if you were running a game where players had to pay character points for their equipment then your write-up seems pretty good. Just remember that for a player to have this gun as a multipower requires him to have all the extra parts on his person and the knowledge of how to reconfigure it. I would personally just make different write-ups for all the different versions of the XM8.

Sorry it took so long to get back. Was working.

Anyway, the bipod was a typo. Should just be vs Range Mods and not hit locations. Thought I had adjusted the drop down.

As for the multipower issue, I didn't like it since there seemed to be either something missing or a clunky power construct.

I've since gone with the write up I posted a bit back there. Even if I was going with the MP version of it, the character I'm playing would probably still carry all the barrels since he does have the knowledge and the skill to reconfigure (just maybe not the time. :) ).

In any case, thanks for the help guys. It's appreciated.

As far as replacing the M16' date=' I don't see a problem. Some problems with the M16 were that it jammed relatively easily, required frequent maintainence, had sights that have to be zeroed before use, and it didn't retract. The XM8 solves all these problems and then some.[/quote']

You are correct.... in the 1960's and ignoring the manufacturers advice. The current M16 (and particularly since the 1980's with the introduction of the M16A2) the M16 is a very reliable weapon. That is why many are against a change to the XM-8, the M16's issues have alreday been dealt with. When it was first introduced the M16 was supposed to be a wonder weapon (the Navy SEALs really pushed to get it) turned out there were some issues. Now you have the XM-8 an untried weapon claiming to be leaps and bounds better yet the planned barrel length is known to be too short to be effective with the 5.56mm. I see the M16 issue all over again, then in 20 years when they get all the bugs worked out and it is a fine rifle someone will start pushing for the XM-40A1. :)

I was thinking 3d6 pen E-RKA. or at lest AP RKA

needle beem laser or coil or rail gun.

Personally I think they should stick to evolutionary enhancements on the M16/M4 family of weapons and forget the XM8.

The next weapon the US Army gets should have zero time of flight and best be modeled with 12d6 EB NND does BODY!

You are correct.... in the 1960's and ignoring the manufacturers advice. The current M16 (and particularly since the 1980's with the introduction of the M16A2) the M16 is a very reliable weapon. That is why many are against a change to the XM-8' date=' the M16's issues have alreday been dealt with. When it was first introduced the M16 was supposed to be a wonder weapon (the Navy SEALs really pushed to get it) turned out there were some issues. Now you have the XM-8 an untried weapon claiming to be leaps and bounds better yet the planned barrel length is known to be too short to be effective with the 5.56mm. I see the M16 issue all over again, then in 20 years when they get all the bugs worked out and it is a fine rifle someone will start pushing for the XM-40A1. :)[/quote']

I'm speaking from my personal experience with the M16A2 as well as the experiences of the recruits I fired with. It does jam from time to time - a few of my fellow troops complained about it doing so on the firing range. However, I'm also going off what I read about the XM-8 and it's praised reliability/durability. It could just be exaggeration or hype generated by the manufacturers. Also, the sights still have to be zeroed before firing and it still doesn't retract - all the changes in the world haven't fixed these issues! As far as the barrel length issue: I can't comment on it until I've either fired it first hand or have heard from someone who has :)