Bringing up Everyman Skills

chiralman

Re: Bringing up Everyman Skills

The problem with flying cars isn't the technology, it is the drivers.

The average human being, (and when I say "average", I mean true average, not the people reading this), is barely competent enough to pilot an automobile on the ground where there are only 2 dimensions to deal with, and the driving pathways are clearly marked. Really, go watch people drive, the average driver is bordering on incompetent at the skill, not signalling, crossing over into other lanes and generally weaving, following too closely, maneuvering too sharply, misjudging everything, all while paying very little attention to the fact that they are piloting 2 tons of metal (or plastic in the case of post 1990 cars).

Joe and Jane normal (especially Jane) simply couldn't handle a flying car. You could make them 100 percent reliable, and you would still see "flying car accident" as the single largest cause of death. They would fly them into houses, other cars, trees, power lines, and building. They would run them out of fuel in mid air, and ignore that little funny sound coming from the engine.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The average human being, (and when I say "average", I mean true average, not the people reading this), is barely competent enough to pilot an automobile on the ground where there are only 2 dimensions to deal with, and the driving pathways are clearly marked. Really, go watch people drive, the average driver is bordering on incompetent at the skill, not signalling, crossing over into other lanes and generally weaving, following too closely, maneuvering too sharply, misjudging everything, all while paying very little attention to the fact that they are piloting 2 tons of metal (or plastic in the case of post 1990 cars).

Joe and Jane normal (especially Jane) simply couldn't handle a flying car. You could make them 100 percent reliable, and you would still see "flying car accident" as the single largest cause of death. They would fly them into houses, other cars, trees, power lines, and building. They would run them out of fuel in mid air, and ignore that little funny sound coming from the engine.

Hence navigation being a computer/vehicle skill.

I don't do everyman skills. You want it you pay for it. In fact, I've seen a lot of 8- skills in my game that aren't on the traditional lists of everyman skills, but that's because I operate on the principle that you only make a roll if the circumstances are unusual or complex, or there is a truncated time factor or notable stressor involved - so an 8- skill is actually pretty useful in my games.

Guest Worldmaker

Reliable mandatory autopilots, plus they are so expensive as to still be a novelty item. The most commonly seen flying car in the GGU is an ambulance.