newbie questions on power construction

Jorik

One of my would-be players is going to play a mutated Opera-singer who has this "Stun Song". This power should do the following:

When the character is singing his Stun Song (this high pitched stunning sound), all beings in a radius area of effect around him are stunned (struck by stun only damage) and flashed (cannot hear) as long as he concentrates on singing.

Here is how I figured this out:

Stun Song: Energy Blast 2d6 (vs. ED), STUN Only (+0), Area Of Effect (8" Radius; +1 3/4) (27 Active Points); Incantations, Requires Incantations throughout (-1/2), No Range (-1/2), No Knockback (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4)

Total cost: 11

Flash 2d6 (Hearing Group), Area Of Effect (8" Radius; +2) (18 Active Points); Linked to Stun Song (-1/2),

Total cost: 12

I'm pretty sure I made some rule mistakes.. the rules still confuse me.

Does a linked power has to take all the limitations of the primary power? Or are they automatically transferred to it?

What about advantages?

How do you roll for the attack of the Stun Song? do you need to develop a power skill? or are ECV + CSLs enough?

As you see I'm pretty confused.

Please help :(

Since this is a "how to" question, I've moved it to "HERO System Discussion" so lots of gamers can help out.

On a quick glance-through, it looks to me like you did a pretty decent job -- I don't think the rules are confusing you as much as you think. ;) The one thing I noted that needs changing is that you can't apply Incantations throughout to an Instant power such as EB and Flash. Unless you make them Constant (by applying the Continuous (+1) Advantage), there's no "throughout" involved -- the attack happens instantly. Therefore you can only have the -1/4 value of Incantations.

From what you've described, it sounds to me like you probably want to make this attack Continuous.

What other suggestions does Herodom Assembled have?

I might seriously consider trying to figure out a way to put either NND or AVLD vs. Hearing Group Flash Defense or other ear protection on the EB. Of course, that will make it considerably more expensive, but you can probably back down the advantage on the Area Of Effect because there will be more points not in the AoE advantage.

1) You may want to up the dice a little on the EB or change it to a NND (No Normal Defense) attack. 2d6 will only average 5 stun per phase to a normal person and nothing to another super. Given the nature of the attack I would make it NND vs Hearing Flash Defense. This make the power so that the most people, super or not, will take 7 stun per attack. Where as those with ear protection won't take any.

2) I also agree that this sounds like a continuous attack.

3) I noticed that you did not give the powers the personal immunity advantage. As it is the mutant opera singer is also going to take damage and be deafened by this attack. This may or may not be what you wanted.

4) Where appropriate you may take the same disadvantage on linked powers. For example both should probably have the no range lim., but only the eb would get the no knockback.

5) As is you should probably not take the no knockback lim on the EB. The odds of being able to do knockback are so pitifully low it probably isn't a lim.

Given your description of the power here is how I would write it up:

Stun Song: Energy Blast 2d6, NND vs Hearing Flash Defense, deafness or hard ear coverings (+1), Continuous (+1), Area Of Effect (8" Radius; +1 3/4) (47 Active Points); Incantations, Requires Incantations throughout (-1/2), No Range (-1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4)

Total cost: 21

Flash 2d6 (Hearing Group), Area Of Effect (8" Radius; +2) (18 Active Points); Linked to Stun Song (-1/2), Incantations, Requires Incantations throughout (-1/2), No Range (-1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4)

Total cost: 7

I would also make sure she has a few points of Hearing Flash Defense.

Whoops - I missed the other questions.

You don't have to apply the same disadvantages to both powers, as you don't have to use both powers at once. You may use the "greater Power" without using the "lesser Power", but not vice versa. So, for example, only one of them might have Increased Endurance Cost. In this case, I would probably apply all the interesting disadvantages to both powers, as they're used the exact same way.

You don't need to roll for these particular attacks (because of the Area Of Effect). If someone doesn't want to get hit, they have to Dive For Cover to get out of the area, or just not get close enough to the character to get hit.

As an aside, unless the PC has appropriate and sufficient defenses, Personal Immunity, or Hole In The Middle, he's going to take damage from these attacks when he uses them.

Re: newbie questions on power construction

Originally posted by Jorik

How do you roll for the attack of the Stun Song? do you need to develop a power skill? or are ECV + CSLs enough?

They are both built as Area Effect attacks with no range, so they can only be targeted at the character's own hex or the six hexes surrounding him (everything within reach).

Area Effect (AE) attacks are aimed at the hex itself. A hex has a DCV of 3, so it should be pretty easy to hit. As the power is built right now, you would use OCV to target the hex. That might seem a little strange (in concept, the character isn't "aiming," just opening his mouth and singing) but in this case it reflects the character's ability to project his voice right where he wants it. You could buy the "Based on EGO Combat Value if you wanted to use ECV, but that isn't necessary (and it would make it more expensice).

You might also consider taking personal immunity on the Flash part of the attack, or buying some Flash Defense vs. Hearing. That way he won't be deafened by his own attack.

Originally posted by Bartman

Given your description of the power here is how I would write it up:

Stun Song: Energy Blast 2d6, NND vs Hearing Flash Defense, deafness or hard ear coverings (+1), Continuous (+1), Area Of Effect (8" Radius; +1 3/4) (47 Active Points); Incantations, Requires Incantations throughout (-1/2), No Range (-1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4)

Total cost: 21

I agree with Bartman on how I'd build the power (maybe substituting AVLD rather than NND, maybe adding Personal Immunity), though the Area Of Effect at +1 3/4 on this power I think would actually wind up being 3" (30 Active Points not counting the Area Of Effect Advantage) with 3 doublings, or a max of 24". The Flash radius is actually 16" (4 doublings starting at 1").

I would go with the Attack Vs LImited Defense: Flash Defence: hearing personaly.

As it is a no range AE attack you don't really need to roll to hit (where else is it going to land)

So my version

Sonic Cry, all slots: Concentration, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (1/2 DCV; -1/2), Incantations, Requires Incantations throughout (-1/2), No Range (-1/2)

18 1) Energy Blast 2d6 (vs. ED), Personal Immunity (+1/4), Continuous (+1), Area Of Effect (5" Radius; +1 1/4), Attack Versus Limited Defense: Flash Defence: Hearing (+1 1/2) (50 Active Points); Linked to Flash (-1/4)

7 2) Flash 2d6 (Hearing Group), Continuous (+1), Area Of Effect (5" Radius; +1 1/2) (21 Active Points); Linked to Energy Blast (-1/2)

Powers Cost: 25

A reasonably cost power

Thank you Thank you Thank you!

It sure is reassuring to know I can count on you guys for "technical support".:D

I really did forget a few things, as you pointed out, like the "Constant", "NND" & "Personal Immunity" advantages.

All in all, for a first character (with a single power) I think he came out alright at the end. It was sure fun making him.

I still have some difficulties, though. Like the "attack" roll. Or the lack of it. Don't worry! I have much more confidence now ;) I am sure I will fathom it eventually.

Thanks again,

Roy.

Re: Re: newbie questions on power construction

Originally posted by Uncle Shecky

They are both built as Area Effect attacks with no range, so they can only be targeted at the character's own hex or the six hexes surrounding him (everything within reach).

Area Effect (AE) attacks are aimed at the hex itself. A hex has a DCV of 3, so it should be pretty easy to hit. As the power is built right now, you would use OCV to target the hex. That might seem a little strange (in concept, the character isn't "aiming," just opening his mouth and singing) but in this case it reflects the character's ability to project his voice right where he wants it.

I think that the hex's DCV drops to zero when you are aiming an area attack at an adjacent hex.

If the "hearing Flash" only lasts as long as the Stun Song, then Darkness to Hearing Group might be used instead.