Requires a skill roll

pinecone

I'm working yet again on a probability manipulator and I've had a brainstorm...VPP 30 requires a skill roll (any skill) that turns skills into powers...so I need to tap into your collective wisdom...is this legit? how much of a lim is requires a skill roll in this aplication? I'm thinking around -1/4 and would this power give you the willies? I'm thinking Damage reduction or armor for acrobatics or breakfall , empathic mind controll for seduction or oratory maybe even HA for a "Brawling" skill....would invisable tunneling for lockpick be over the top? I'm also considering X ray vision and fully indirect invisable TK for gambling skill etc...Thanx for any insights...

For one thing... remember that the active point cost of a power in a VPP cannot exceed the pool cost of a VPP. While you can do some interesting things with 30 active points or less, I wouldn't say that's enough to give one the willies.

Beyond that, I'm not *entirely* sure I understand what you mean by "turns skills into powers". What I *think* you're saying is that the character can develop a "power" based on a skill that they possess if they make the skill roll.

As to how much of a limit RSR is in this scenario... -1/4 looks about right (-1/2 normal, 1/4 less limitation because the skill is variable).

If you're instead talking about a VPP for skills in which you can purchase skills the character doesn't ordinarily have -- I'd outlaw that in a heartbeat and not look back. I let one of those slip once before and learned my lesson.

Well the idea is to use the alternate skills as powers section but pay for the powers myself...the idea is if I make a skill roll it is automaticly a "critical" success so the power is limited/based on the skill you use so if I want to use say High society I'd roll and if I make it then maybe Aid:Pres zero end (or succor?) is in order.If I want to do the "God of gamblers" effect I can use X-ray vision and invisable TK to arrange the dice under a cup etc....The 30 point amount is intentional so I don't go overboard with effects...the most extream power twisting I can think of can't do too much harm with a top end of 30! (I hope)...Thanx

Hmmm ...

I'm guessing what you're trying to create are 'super-skills', for lack of a better term. For instance, the Batman Teleport-when-nobody's-looking thing (Teleport, RSR: Stealth, other limits), or invisibility to sound, RSR Stealth (SNEAK LIKE NINJA!), and that sort of thing. I'd go for a 1/2 limitation, because it's insanely versatile, but still limited (You can't, say, actually teleport or actually turn invisible, and most attacks are right out).

actualy this is something I think woud be very cool if a player did in one of my games.

I like the idea it simulates a cerian level of "Super Cinema"

As a matter of a fact I think I will sugest this to a player as an Idea but through on the -1/2 limitation of side effect "Critical Falure" this would make nicly for a super luck character with a litle unluck thrown in.

However as the character effect determanes what roll is required not his whim I would still give it the full -1/2 modifier.

Glad to hear that this is not "over the top"...sometimes I fear my inner munchkin...yes I can see useing "vanising teleport for stealth or just plain invisable...hmmm...would Side effects be a fun addition? ie: I either crit my roll or crit my failure:)...I'm going to write this up into Fortune's bag of tricks then,though I currently intend to use this as "super brawling" by buying a "bar fighting" skill (9+con/5) for a 6D6 HA to reprisent critical hits in hand to hand....Thanx for the input...