Build Help: Paradise Grenade

Sociotard

Okay, I want to give my cleric-type access to a little bottle of elixer derived from the essence of holy flowers. When smashed on the floor, the immediate area blooms in beautiful flowers and an air of peace and hope pervades the area.

I started off thinking this would be a varient of Change Environment, largely because FREd cites 'making flowers bloom' as an example of this power on page 90. Unfortunately, it doesn't provide a writeup of this. All the writeups that are provided use examples of Change Environment using one of the "combat effects", like sight penalties.

Can I make a Change Environment that doesn't do anything unpleasant? If anything, I'd like it to provide a bonus to something. Ego rolls, maybe. Or maybe just be able to say the area is "holy" or "consecrated" for the duration of the change environment. Can I do that without Transform?

Re: Build Help: Paradise Grenade

oop! Says it right there. "It . . . cannot provide positive effects or bonuses to any character". I don't really understand why, but that's what it says.

So, anything pleasant my vial unleashes should be represented by . . . an Aid I guess. I wonder if the flowers thing should just be SFX.

Now, I was going to use the classic -0 limitation "1 continuing charge, lasts six hours". What does that do to an Aid? Does it mean it keeps aiding, like a constant power?

Technically in the FREd book, it shouldn't provide a positive effect, but so long as the effect is clearly defined and not too offbalancing, it shouldn't be took bad to provide a minor positive effect such a +1 or +2 to EGO-based rolls.

Holy/consecrated areas can be done with change environment and then creatures who take damage or minuses from being in that area has a Physical Limitation or Suspectibility.

Okay, Here's the writeup thus far:

Paradise Grenade: Change Environment 8†Radius, +2 to Ego Rolls; Delayed Effect +¼ (28.75 Active Points); Concentration (Zero DCV Throughout) −1, Extra Time (One Hour to Extract and Brew) −3, OAF Fragile −1¼, One Continuing Charge Lasting Six Hours −0, Requires PS: Priest Skill Roll (−1 per 20 active points) −¼

Total Cost: 4 points

+2 Radius Doublings (to 32â€); Delayed Effect +¼ (12.5 Active Points); Concentration (Zero DCV Throughout) −1, Extra Time (One Hour to Extract and Brew) −3; OAF Fragile −1¼, One Continuing Charge Lasting Six Hours −0, Actual Size Increase Depends on how many people make an Ego Roll −½, Linked −½

A quick explination: The Extra time, Concentration, and Skill Roll all reflect the brewing and extracting process. The Delayed Effect and the OAF represents the little glass vial containing the elixir. It lasts six hours.

Now The first power on there means the field covers an 8" radius circle. The second says that it can grow up to 32", depending on how many people make their ego rolls (if half the people make them, it grows to 16", if a quarter of the people make them, it grows to 12") I used Ego because its good for representing faith and willpower.

Now I just need an Aid Recovery with Area of effect. Or should it be bought as a characteristic with Area of Effect and Usable by other (a whole lotta people). I'll have to give it some thought

I wanted the area to provide absolutely heavenly rest, so

+2 Recovery (4 points); Delayed Effect +¼, Area of Effect (up to 32â€) +2½, Usable by other (up to 64 people, more if the recovery is spread thinner) +2 (23) ; Concentration (Zero DCV Throughout) −1, Extra Time (One Hour to Extract and Brew) −3; OAF Fragile −1¼, One Continuing Charge Lasting Six Hours −0, Linked −½

3 points

The reason that Change Envrionment doesn't provide positive effects is because that's what Aid/Succor is for.

Aid: AOE, 4D6 EGO (plus all the other stuff about making the grenades, number of grenades, grenade like effects, etc..)

that'll get you about where you want. SFX is blooming flowers. An average roll gets you about +8 EGO, which averages to +2 to your EGO Roll.

The Fade Rate on the AID can double as the duration of the grenade effects as well saving your some complication on construction.

The reason that Change Envrionment doesn't provide positive effects is because that's what Aid/Succor is for.
And yet, it could be argued that negative effects are the domain of Drains.

The only thing I don't like about the Fade Rate is that it Fades, as opposed to existing and then suddenly stopping. I want a little slice of heaven that lasts for a few hours and then poof's away, like a carriage turning back into a pumpkin. I wonder if Succor would work if it had the continuing charge. I mean, I'm gonna have to put the charge limitation on there anyway, it might as well be continuous. That would be nice, because I could slap on a recovery succor too.

The thing about Change Environment that I see is, in our games at least, that it's a predominately non-combat power with some potential combat effects.

You could very easily House Rule in positive effects for CE, such as a +1 or 2 to a roll, or movement power (+x Swimming for a ship for a CE that's Create Wind) and it woudln't, IMO, stretch it to far.

But to work within the rules As Written, you need Aid or Succor.

Succor, 0END, Continuous Charge for xTurns/Phases could work as easily as Aid for the same thing. Of course, a 0END Succor should be CLOSELY looked at by the GM as it can be very easily abused.

We have a guy in our game who has a 6D6 Succor bought to 0END for "Any 3 Physical Stats" [sPD, CON, STR, END, STUN, DEX], when he uses it on my brick I become a frightening force of near unstoppable devastation. It approaches near abuse in my book, but the GM allowed it, so we get to use it.

Ah yeah, it does. There ya go.

forgot about that. Is what I get for not double checking myself against the book... I almost never use charges so I keep forgetting they don't cost END. silly me.

Succor, Continuous Charge is what you most likely want.

Okay, Succor it is, though I do wonder if I can claim it's still holy ground without the CE. This is the Final Build

Vial of ParadiseSuccor 4d6; Succor EGO and RECOVERY at the Same Time +½, Delayed Effect +¼, Area of Effect (32†Radius) +2¼, (80) ; Concentration (Zero DCV Throughout) −1, Extra Time (One Hour to Extract and Brew) −3; OAF Fragile −1¼, One Continuing Charge Lasting Six Hours −0, Requires PS: Priest Skill Roll (−1 per 20 active points) −¼

12 points

Possible Add-ons include

Radiant Paradise Images (sight group), 32" Radius +1¼, Delayed Effect +¼; Only to Create Light −1, Concentration (Zero DCV Throughout) −1, Extra Time (One Hour to Extract and Brew) −3; OAF Fragile −1¼, One Continuing Charge Lasting Six Hours −0, Requires PS: Priest Skill Roll (−1 per 20 active points) −¼, Linked −½

3 Points

Comfortable Paradise Life Support Cold/ Heat, Delayed Effect +¼, Area of Effect (up to 32â€) +2½, Usable by other (up to 64 people, more if the recovery is spread thinner) +2 (23) ; Concentration (Zero DCV Throughout) −1, Extra Time (One Hour to Extract and Brew) −3; OAF Fragile −1¼, One Continuing Charge Lasting Six Hours −0, Linked −½

3 points

I have no problem with CE giving minor positive effects. And I especially have no problem with CE's providing a negation of penalties, for example, a dry wind effect that dissipates fog - it doesn't improve your eyesight, but it gets rid of the fogs obscuring penalty to your vision. In your holy circle of calm, any penalties due to discomfort, noise, weather, etc., could be negated.

Note also that even if you allow "+2 EGO rolls in Holy Area," ALL critters - holy and unholy - get the bonus. The effect you're looking for should probably be harmful to demons, undead, etc.

As a GM, I would probably allow a CE that just causes the area to become "Holy" and provide penalties and bonuses as appropriate based on that, without requiring (or allowing) the player to define them all. Some simple examples might be: Undead take 1 pip STUN/phase in the area, Good clerics get +1d6 to PRE attacks, Demons gain 1 die of Unluck while in the area, No effect on non-diety-based magic, etc. If the player wants bigger effects than these, he would have to buy some adders.

Note also that the "no positive effects" rule can sometimes be avoided by realizing that a positive effect for one person can be a negative effect to another. For instance, instead of having the CE grant +5 Mental DEF, let it cause a -1d6 penalty to Mental Powers. Either way makes it harder for unholy demons to muck around with your mind and soul while you're in the holy area. The second option is "Steve Long Legal." The first isn't even though it has roughly the same result.