What Would Your Fantasy Character Do? : Good Overlord

SKJAM!

The nearest corrupt mayor, greedy lord or evil tyrant has suddenly started acting in a different manner. He's lowered taxes, freed political prisoners, started negotiating peace treaties and making just decisions in court cases.

Naturally, the big question is, is he sincere, or is this some sort of trick to get the good guys to lower their guard? Your character (and party, if applicable) has been asked/hired/ordered to look into this situation. (Naturally, this investigation is rather more urgent if the character lives under the bad guy in question.)

How does your character prepare for the investigation, and what methods does he/she/it use?

SKJAM!

Law & Order: Turakian Age

Re: What Would Your Fantasy Character Do? : Good Overlord

Only played one fantasy character recently:

Tacticus: Wander around town hoping someone will ambush me, then give some exposition in a cut scene before dying. If that fails, breaking and entering, house by house, hoping someone will give me a clue. Pocket anything left lying around in the unoccupied houses. Go steal from merchants to get good gear and then do side quests until spoon fed some clues. Eventually remember that I'm supposed to be saving my sister Imoen from my arch-foe, Irenicus, and feel slightly guilty about it.

The classic is to search his room. While searching the room, if I hear voices, hide, and try to overhear the overlord talking to the dark shadow who's probably pulling the string. If given enough time, joining the overlord's trusted inner circle would be more subtle.

The other one would be to set up massive contingency plans for when the overlord changes his mind again so that the city will rise up and rebel against him. This will be done concurrently with talking to contacts and streetwise connections to figure out what happened. (Via la revolution!)

Well since he probably isn't hiring anymore, what with all the standing up for the peasants and other animals crap, my PC moves on to the next politcal domain to seek work...

Or if it was one of my noble PCs, maybe I'd just drop a few hints at court that one of the barons out in the countryside is setting a bad example that might lead to rebellion and discontent.

Well my last fantasy character, Ryoga would probably tell his employer that he will look into this matter. Knowing Ryoga, he might have already visited this town and is the reason for the mayor's change of heart. This, however, is not a good thing as Ryoga is evil as the day is long and must have something incriminating over the mayor to make him act this way. The change of heart is to get more people interested in moving to the area and Ryoga's spies would then have a reason to be able to set up shop unnoticed. Ryoga was doing just that thing and had two town leaders in his pocket by the time the game ended because the DM had to move.

Try to assassinate him. Again.

Of course if this bastardly guy WASN"T Prince Ralfane (our reccurring villain) my character (an elven archer) would stop him on the road and ask what he was up to (and start running like the wind when his guards surround me). He's not very farsighted.

Man, what's with all the evil?

And I thought my piratical character's ambivalence toward this sudden change of heart was bad enough....

Well I would wager my reaction is 'good' under the precepts of a class based soceity (social class, not DnD class).

If this individual began doing what is suggested he would be disrupting the social order.

Going after him however, would be a major sin. I forget whatever they call it when you kill a noble - for a king or queen it's regicide, and in the thinking of soceities with peerage that is a sin against god, the nation, and man.

Unless I am playing a noble of equal or greater rank in the same realm, it is not just for me to intervene upon another soverign's will - be it good or bad.

However, if he makes moves that will upset the status quo of social thinking and social justice, I will need to bring it to the attention of my own sovereign so as to allow him/her to oppose this madman and stop the spread of anarchy.

People in a society with nobility often feel very morally attached to living properly within their social role - just look at the British who sit there and fund the world's most well known white trash family - because they happen to have crowns on their heads...

For a peasant, I think of Samwise - always upholding his lord, Frodo - and by doing so being the moral hero. For a noble we can flip back to Frodo - striving to do best for his subject, but even when he doesn't it is out of place for that subject to take offense.

The nearest corrupt mayor, greedy lord or evil tyrant has suddenly started acting in a different manner. He's lowered taxes, freed political prisoners, started negotiating peace treaties and making just decisions in court cases.

Naturally, the big question is, is he sincere, or is this some sort of trick to get the good guys to lower their guard? Your character (and party, if applicable) has been asked/hired/ordered to look into this situation.

Only playing in one fantasy game at the moment, and it's Forgotten Realms D&D. Tactics might differ if we were doing FH.

Arielle is probably one of the least paranoid characters in the game, but even she would want to know just what's going on. As a wizard/loremaster, she doesn't have to go there to check matters out. Load up on divination spells and let 'em rip. She would be willing to cast "overlapping" divinations (different spells going after the same basic information) just in case there's something going on that would interfere with her spells -- and with a Knowledge: Arcana of 17 odds are she could figure out if that happened. While all that's going on, she would be using her Loremaster Lore ability to see if something strange happened in the area that might be a cause. We (finally!!!) finished the Time of Troubles a few game months ago, if the guy was caught in a wild magic area it might have scrambled his brains.

She'd have no objection to going there in person to investigate as well, she would just want to get as much information as possible first .