When I Am the Benevolent Ruler....

SKJAM!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: When I Am the Benevolent Ruler....

I will remember the eternal wisdom of the Wizard of Oz, that a heart is not judged by how much you love; but by how much you are loved by others. Hence I will operate through a series of disposable puppet faces who can be cast aside after performing unpleasant but necessary functions.

Hey, if "cast aside" works out to be "appointed lifetime ambassador to tiny island countries of no strategic importance in the South Pacific and given a large expense account explicitly for booze and beach parties", I'd say that's benevolent enough.

Hey' date=' if "cast aside" works out to be "appointed lifetime ambassador to tiny island countries of no strategic importance in the South Pacific and given a large expense account explicitly for booze and beach parties", I'd say that's benevolent enough.[/quote']

Except for the suggestions to kill them later.

Tell that to Richard the Lion-Hearted' date=' who was only benevolent in comparison to his brother.[/quote']

I fail to see how this affects my point.

Why do you think John levied all those harsh taxes? To pay for Richard's crusade! Richard abandoned the country to his brother to go seek glory in the Middle East, and nearly bankrupted his country to do it. Yet John is remembered as the villian, and Richard the benevolent King who returned to save his people from John's excesses.

Of course, this is only really understood because modern historians made the connections, so I suppose your point stands - so far as modern historians go. The historians of past generations, on the other hand, seem to be very good at rewriting history to suit their own judgements and preconceptions... which was my point.

The historians of past generations' date=' on the other hand, seem to be very good at rewriting history to suit their own judgements and preconceptions... which was [i']my[/i] point.

And mine. I'm sure the historians of the future will be equally adept. The history books after all are written by the winners.