Mystical Voltron-Inspired Powered Armor

Mark Rand

A young lady who iwas (and still is) a fan of Voltron: The Defender of the Universe and Voltron 3D, and who looks like Princess Allura in V3D, was out hiking in the mountains near her home when she found a glowing rock on the ground. As she picked it up, it popped and a liquid appeared on her hand before evaporating.

That night, she had a dream that she was actually Voltron. When she awoke the next morning, she was in an armored costume that resembled the robot, but fit her perefectly. Wishing she was normal again, the suit vanished. She experimented, and discovered some of the abilities. The suit, however, couldn't morph into lion form because a human body isn't capable of holding that form very long.

Here's what I came up with as a powers list:

Instant transformation

Boost to STR, DEX, SPD

Enhansed vision, heading and radio sense groups

Protected hearing, sight and radio sense groups

Increased running speed

flight

armor, possibly backed by force fields

protection from heat/cold, radiation, pressure, vacuum

Blazing sword (hand and one half thrust and cut broadsword damage vs ED)

Armor draws its power from cosmic rays, the solar wind and such forces

Am I forgetting anything?

Re: Mystical Voltron-Inspired Powered Armor

A ranged attack (Shoots from the shield emblem)

No need for the instant transformation IMO, just go with OIHID

I would actualy allow it to MF into a lion form (More Dex/Speed less defence/Attack)

Remove the running (Flight will suffice for her needs)

FF is a good idea, also consider a FW (seems to me Voltron 3D could do this, could be wrong)

A ranged attack (Shoots from the shield emblem)

No need for the instant transformation IMO, just go with OIHID

I would actualy allow it to MF into a lion form (More Dex/Speed less defence/Attack)

Remove the running (Flight will suffice for her needs)

FF is a good idea, also consider a FW (seems to me Voltron 3D could do this, could be wrong)

Good ideas.

She does have ranged attacks. The electroforce cross (from the chest) either TK, only to push away or an energy beam that does knockback, eye beams, equal in power to a PRIMUS blaster rifle and can be set to stun, and solar stars/spinning laser blades, damage is that of a shuriken.

The transformation actually takes at least six seconds.

The MF to lion form is possible, but it's hard on the knees and shoulders. I know, I tried that position myself. Of course, I have arthritis in those joints. If she doesn't she could stand it for a short time.

As I recall, the command for the force wall was "Detatch Royal Shield".

Just a couple of quick notes.

Although the powered armor suit looks like it's made of a hard metal, it flexes as its wearer does.

The lady wearing it insists that it's as formfiting and comfortable as spandex.

• 2 weeks later...

The lady in the armor is Allison Harris, Ally to her friends. She's a freelance graphic artist and painter as well as a die-hard Voltron fan.

The basic fabric of the suit only provides 5PD/5ED. Think of it as stasis cloth, like Shelvestra's flightsuit on the 4E Strikeforce book.

Most of the protection, 20PD/20ED, all resistant and hardened comes from the suit's forcefield. If Voltron is knocked out, the force field will still proect Allison. It comes up when she calls the suit. She has to will it off, then back on.

While Allison was asleep, the armor, which still had't completely keyed to her, finished doing so by modeling itself as the Lion Force Voltron. It can summon up any Voltron weapon in either human or lion form, but the wearer must be able to use it. (For this, I'm treating the Royal Scheld force wall as a weapon).

Since Allison has had the suit for only 6 weeks and has been a heroine for 2 weeks, she can use only four weapons, blazing sword, electroforce cross, solar stars (Vehicle Voltron name for spinning laser blades), and eye beams. Although the suit is capable of converting to lion form, Allison hasn't, yet.

Guest Major Tom

It's a good thing that the armor's basic design is going to be that of the lion-

form Voltron... the Dairuggar 15 version of Voltron as a human-sized

powersuit is way too freaky to even contemplate ( :angst: ).

Major Tom :winkgrin:

So basically... this is Guyver meats Voltron?

:D:D:D

Nifty concept in any case. It wouldn't be possible for some weirdo Duplication should she decide it'd be neat to "seperate" from Voltron into the seperate lions would it? I'd almost think that'd be a niftier effect than just transforming into a single lion (and would keep better with the character's concepts of what the suit can (or should be able to) do.

So basically... this is Guyver meats Voltron?

:D:D:D

Nifty concept in any case. It wouldn't be possible for some weirdo Duplication should she decide it'd be neat to "seperate" from Voltron into the seperate lions would it? I'd almost think that'd be a niftier effect than just transforming into a single lion (and would keep better with the character's concepts of what the suit can (or should be able to) do.

It might be. Since Allison doesn't know everything the suit can do, it's easy to add powers that seem reasonable. I suspect that when, and if, she ever does that, all five lions will look like the V3D lion-spirits.

Some of you know that I'm working on a PRIMUS supers thread. Voltron will replace Guardian as the team's armored hero and she'll start learning more tricks.

Allison has manifested the electrosaber once. One day, while practing, she called for it and it appeared as two sabers, on her back. When she joined it together, she had a sword with two blades emerging from a central hilt. Not being a good swordswoman, she decided not to use it.

Look for a complete, as far as I know, list of weapons Allison should be able to use soon.

A few notes.

Allison lives in her parents' home and has her studio in the attic. She thinks the armor is mystical in nature, but her father, a physicist who collects swords, and her mother, a computer expert, think it uses nanotechnology.

The suit's hands look like the ones on the lions, but have regular gloves inside. When Allison needs to use her fingers, or fists, , the lion-headed hands will vanish.

The suit has sensors that pick up Allison's neural signals and contacts that can feed audio and visual information into her brain. This enables it to assist her muscles and weapon-targeting systems.

The suit responds to her mental commands for weapons. When she calls for the eye beams or electroforce cross, the system shows her where it'll hit. Once she's satisfied, the system will fire the beam for her. As they are handheld, the blazing sword and solar stars will come when summoned. As before, the system shows her what she's going to hit.

Allison can remove the suit's gloves and mask (which lays on her back like a sweatshirt hood). When she does so, the suit powers down.

Good news. I finally have my notes on the suit's available weapons.

There are three forms, a human form, a single lion and five lions. When all 5 lions are in use, Allison is in black lion and controls the blue, green, red and yellow lions by remote.

The commands Allison sends are in bold and a * is before any weapon that Allison has manafested under any conditions.

This group is for the human form.

*Eye Beams, the stats for these are equal to that of a PRIMUS blaster rifle.

*Electrosaber, this appears as two sabers, joined at the handles. They're snapped together and used like a two-bladed sword. This weapon has never been used in combat.

Wing Attack, the wings on Voltron's back can be used like a boomarang.

Form Blazing Bow, damage equals that of a hunting arrow.

*Form Blazing Sword, the sword is the energy equivlent of a hand and one half cut and thrust broadsword.

*Electroforce Cross, the beam is a 20 STR TK beam inly to push targets away.

*Solar Stars, are thrown from the hands and have the same range and do the same damage as a shuriken. (Allison uses the Vehicle Voltron name instead of the Lion Voltron name, spinning laser blades.)

Ignite Lion Torches, thermal energy blasts from red and green lion.

Lionhead Attack, kenitic energy blasts that punch through items or knock them back.

Detach Royal Shield, the shield on Voltron's chest generates a force wall that can deflect attacks.

Lion Form, Voltron converts from human to lion form

This group is for the lion form.

Tail Laser, damage and range are equivlent to a PRIMUS energy pistol.

Roar, a presence attack.

Ion Knife, the knife appears in the lion's mouth and can inflict damage equal to a short sword.

Bite, the lion's teath do the same damage as a leopard's.

Claws, the lion's claws do as much damage as a leopard's.

Five Lions, blue, green, red and yellow lions appear near Allison's lion, which becomes black. She operates the others telepathically.

I'll be putting Voltron into Hero Designer version 1 soon, then typing up the results as a character for comment. A few questions, first.

1) How many points should I put into the weapons and systems VPP?

2) Should the changing into one or five lions be considered part of said VPP?

Thanks in advance for your input.

• 5 weeks later...

I've edited the powers list slightly. Since I want to use Voltron in my IST campaign, where all the heroes go through a training camp, she's know what she can do with her armor. The stared ones now are the ones she uses most often and has CSLs with.

I've edited the list of commands again, this time to fix spelling and comma placement errors and put the * back in the electrosaber line.

Allison/Voltron is a novice superheroine who, even after the IST training, doesn't completely understand her suit's abilities. Fortunately, she'll learn more as she spends time in the gymnasium working out and practicing with herarmor. (All members of of an IST superhero team are required to spend at least eight hours a week training under expert trainers, some of which could be fellow supers and the team leader is required to review the training results.

I'm considering a 40 point VPP for her powers, but I won't continue working on her sheet until I get my computer, Athena, more memory for Christmass. She has 64 megs and it isn't enough.

Guest Major Tom

A quick thought. If I was casting someone to play Allison' date=' I'd choose the actress that plays Donna on [i']The West Wing.[/i]

Funny... my initial choice was also from The West Wing (Emily Procter

from CSI: Miami), and my secondary choice was the blonde hottie from

Ally McBeal (her name eludes me at the moment; maybe someone else

knows who I'm talking about).

Major Tom :whip:

Slave Driver of the Cosmos

Funny... my initial choice was also from The West Wing (Emily Procter

from CSI: Miami), and my secondary choice was the blonde hottie from

Ally McBeal (her name eludes me at the moment; maybe someone else

knows who I'm talking about).

Major Tom :whip:

Slave Driver of the Cosmos

Emily Procter is a good choice, too. Since I never saw Ally McBeal, I have no idea who the other actress is

• 2 weeks later...

On the "IST San Angelo" thread, Voltron admitted that she just figured out, with help from April and Christine, how to transform into one lion, then five lions. She also admitted that she started using the blazing bow on the target range, but needs archery lessons.

I think I'm going to stick with Janel Moloney (Donna from The West Wing, as the actress I'd like to play her. She has the look of a novice superheroine that looks eager to prove herself.

I'd cast Emily Proctor as U.N. intelligence agent Christine Hunter. She has the look of someone that is deadly serious about her work.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
Guest Major Tom

The blonde hottie...from Ally McBeal....I think you are referring to Portia De Rosi' date=' Cortney Thorne-Smith (she was a natural blonde...right!!) or Jane Karkowski (misspelled). I also liked Calista Flockhart ( just needed more meat on those potatoes)[/quote']

Jane Krakowski was the one I was trying to think of, Lord Beavis.

Major Tom :thumbup: