Hindu Teen Avatar

starblaze

Ok, so I am planning on a running an early 60's teen supers game. One of the players, my step-daughter, wants to play a British girl who grew up in India. She wants to sort of be an Avatar of some Hindu god/goddess. So what I am looking into is an heroic style god for her to emulate. I have seen a couple in my old copy of Legends and Lore from AD&D, Agni and Savitri. Could anyone help me with some other ideas?

BTW the concept is college students starting out with 50 pts and 50 pts in disadvantages. They will recieve 100 more base pts., for super powers and 50 more disads.

They will recieve the powers in game during an adventure.

Re: Hindu Teen Avatar

Shiva and Vishnu are good ones to choose.

Kali is not. If you have seen the Golden Voyage of Sinbad then you have seen Kali. She also has a band of assassins working for her called Thugee which is where the word thug comes from.

Ushas might be a good chioce: She's the goddess of the dawn, of light (I think) and of rebirth.

Ushas might be a good chioce: She's the goddess of the dawn' date=' of light (I think) and of rebirth.[/quote']

Ya beat me to it!! I had an NPC I ran for a couple of adventures. She sounds exactly like this character. She was part of TeenTitans type group. Can't recall her name off hand but it was the Hindi word for 'Quiet.' She was a light-powered martial artist that concentrated on soft combat styles and light powers. She was lots of fun to play. I think I'll bring her back. :)

Radha O'Reilly aka Elephant Girl from the Wild Cards books edited by George RR Martin might make an interesting template. Depending on your daughter's age, the books – with their strong sexual content and extreme violence – might not be appropriate but the character would make a good model.

You can find a writeup for Radha here, done as a Multiform:

Radha's Human Form

Radha's Elephant Form

And here is a very brief description of the Wild Cards books along with a list of a few other Hero System writeups of Wild Cards characters:

Wild Cards Characters

Surbrook's Wild Cards Conversions

Of course, what might be even more interesting is to explore with your daughter the option of playing a young, female, Indian PC who does not use a stereotyped or ethnically/culturally-derived theme for her superpowers.

John H

edit: If you're interested in beginning an exploration of the Hindu religion or mythos, this book, written by a brilliant young man of my acquaintance, is a good place to start:

The Ramayan: A Poetic Translation by Ruchir Gupta

Long time ago I played a character called Ratri (or Rati) which is the goddess of Night with a variety of darkeness powers. When I created her the book that I used claimed she was a youthful goddesses that provides relief from the confusion of the dance of Maya and thus paradoxly provides clarity.

G