Hook, Line and Stinker

CourtFool

I thought I would do another hook thread since the last one was such a success. That was sarcasm for those of you who are now searching through countless threads looking for a successful hook thread.

I thought I would do a hook specifically for the Turakian Age. I am sure it can be easily adapted to any other faceless Fantasy campaign. However, if you use it for a D&D game I will hunt you down and kill you like the spineless swine you are.

The Thurisian Mountains once stood to separate the independent grand duchy of Fellburg from Thurgandia. Now it provides refuge for a band of bandits who prey upon caravans traveling between the two regions. The leader of the bandits claims to be a descendent of the grand Duke of Fellburg and seeks to ignite the fires of nationalism.

Does the bandit leader have a legitimate claim to the throne of Fellburg? Is this just a ploy to gain sympathy from the peasants and distract from his true motive of greed? Is this some kind of plot by King Aurick to give him a reason to tighten his grip on Fellburg and possibly remove Duke Lambrett altogether?

The characters could be hired by King Aurick of Thurgandia to put a stop to all this nonsense. They could be hired by Duke Lambrett of Fellburg to discredit the upstart and allow Lambrett to request aid from thurgandian forces to arrest the bandit. The characters could be hired by curious scholars who seek the truth behind the bandit leader’s claims.

Re: Hook, Line and Stinker

Here's one I had some fun with a year or two ago.

The heroes have to go from point A to point B, and they have a deadline to meet. Between the two points is a piece of very difficult terrain -- in my game it was a high mountain pass. Guarding the piece of terrain is a tough monster -- I had a giant who had set up a "toll booth" and was demanding tribute to those who tried to pass.

To complicate matters, point A is a friendly village. The villagers wine and dine the heroes, longing to hear stories of the outside world. One of the children takes a particular liking to one of the heroes (preferably one who'll give the kid some attention). During the night, before the heroes leave, the kid stows away on their wagon.

After the heroes manage to make it past the monster and the difficult terrain, they discover the stowaway. Now the fun starts -- do they cross the terrain (and possibly brave the monster) again to bring the kid home, or do they continue on their mission (and get accused of kidnapping)?

It was a load of fun when I ran it. :)

Next?

Bill.

Re: Hook, Line and Stinker

sorry, this looked like too good an excuse not to inflict this tale on new victims...

the players are hired, cajoled, threatened etc.. by a dragon who is ill and looking for help to find out why, and find a cure,

A Dragons Tail:

One upon a time, there lived a dragon, he was your typical dragon,

with the typical dragons diet of knights and maidens, and a cow or

two, except this one liked to snack on a musician once a month for

dessert. This gave our poor dragon no end of discomfort and

unsettledness, and it went on for months.... finally in desperation

our dragon waylays a high level healer, and explains his problem...

the healer does some research and casts some assorted magic

before coming back from town wheeling a huge bale of assorted

herbs.

This Healer then tells the dragon that he has two choices

he can either stop his monthly snack, or suffer its ill affects and eat

this bale of herbs, which wont cure the problem anyways

The Dragon takes a deep breath and roars "WHY NOT"

the healer warily replies "Because theres no known cure for

Minstrel Cramps"

Alas at this point the Dragon decided on barbecued healer for lunch

and went looking for a second opinion.

While flying over the area he spies two scholarly clerics sitting and

working in the afternoon shade. He decides to land and talk to

them about his problem. One had a pile of scrolls and quill and ink

and he was busily scribing away. The other had a stack of books

and tomes and was deeply engrossed in his reading. They spotted

the hapless dragon and immediately attacked him, the dragon was

then forced to defend himself, and he ate one for lunch. He ate the

one with all the books and scrolls... but not the other one...

Theres even a moral to this story

He ate the one with the tomes books because we all know "Writers

Cramp and Readers Digest"

I first told this off the cuff at Demicon X during a game of GURPS Callahans

everybody but the GM ran from the room screaming...

the second opinion was furnished by John Barnstead of alt.callahans.

yes its a little tacky, and probably best used for a myth adventures style game, but the thread is "Hook Line, and Stinker"