FHGs for Champions

BobGreenwade

Re: FHGs for Champions

Useful if that's the sort of magic you want to use... or just generally useful - strip away most limitations and you have a superpower just like the until superpowers database.
I'm not really thinking about building them into superpowers so much as using them for superhero-level magic.

Well - taking another stab at your original question (and I may not understand what you are asking) -

Power level - it's hero - you change the number of dice or levels and you have changed the power level. Like all the other lists of built powers books there are multiple options for the spells some of which are stronger some of which are weaker.

Praticality - Alter the limitations for a school of magic and you have changed how hard it is to use in combat etc. Remove or weaken some of the limitations and you made them easier to use. Allow spells to be put in multipowers as the examples are in the Mystic World (At least I think that was the book with the supermage spell examples) and you make them much more accessible.

If this didn't help maybe you could p-mail with a specific example of what you are trying to do that you do or don't think the books would do for you. Anyway, I hope this was helpful.

All I was really wanting to figure out was if I'm running a Champs game and one of the players wants to play a super-mage, if the flavor and such would be suitable for the genre. The overall sense I get it, "sort of."

Maybe a Champions Grimoire could be suitable for some time in the future (not '06 and probably not '07, but some time).

PS: Thanks to all who have replied, or will after this. :thumbup:

All I was really wanting to figure out was if I'm running a Champs game and one of the players wants to play a super-mage, if the flavor and such would be suitable for the genre. The overall sense I get it, "sort of."

Maybe a Champions Grimoire could be suitable for some time in the future (not '06 and probably not '07, but some time).

As I've got a campaign with supermages, I'd say the FHGs are less applicable if you're looking for Dr. Strange / Dr. Fate style supermages. The FHG spells are a bit too fantasy trope-ish.

Ultimate Mystic would be a better purchase, IMO. (tho I've gotten lots of supermage mileage out of Monsters, Minions, and Marauders)