MultiMagic in FH

Rapier

Just got my books today (YEAH UPS GUY!). I was reading/skimming through FH. I've been considering putting more effort into my FH campaign...making things a little more concrete and making it an actual campaign instead of episodic adventures loosely linked together.

I was looking through the Magic section right now, and I have been thinking that it would be really cool if there was more than one kind of magic in the realms. Runic, Sorcery, Elemental etc. This is more similar to how our heroic (and even superheroic) campaign runs magic, and we really like the effects.

Has anyone used multiple magic systems (or maybe I should say multiple magical SFX) in a campaign? Any suggestions?

I was thinking that if I define spell cost as AP / 5 (or 3...whatever the book suggests), I think that the style of magic (runic vs sorcery vs druidic etc) would fairly balance out the rest of the system.

- Runic takes more time, complicated, limited effects but pretty powerful.

- Sorcery is quick, easy, large effects but low in power.

- Druidic is sometimes quick, sometimes ritualistic, VERY powerful, but requires good circumstances (weather, seasons, moon position etc).

Thanks.

Re: MultiMagic in FH

WOW. You rock, man.

That is the kind of detail I have put into my Champs and Hero campaigns. Our FH campaign is not even really a campaign. Its more really like minor adventures with the same cast (episodic semi-related adventures...more like a Star Trek FH than a real campaign).

I'm workin now and trying to develop a FH campaign. It would be a lot easier for me (and more fun for my players) if I could coalesce (sp?) things into a contiguous campaign.

It would also give me the potential to drop a FH game in the midst of our Champs or Hero games to break up the monotony.

Would you be at all upset if I stole some of that (giving all due props to the Shrike along the way)? :)

Not at all. The whole website is provided to help people just like you who want to get started with High Fantasy via the HERO System, but shudder at the sheer amount of work it takes ;)

http://www.FantasyHERO.com

use away, and feel free to make suggestions too. I may not take em, but then again I might and Ill give all due credit on the results ;)

Rapier!

I’ve always let players make original SFX as different magic systems, and it’s been good. In fact, it is a feature I use to attract people to Hero.

The only difficulty I can recall is that you may need to think about how magic systems are grouped for things like Drains, Vulnerabilities, and so on. Is each magic system a different SFX group?

Cheers!

I’ve always let players make original SFX as different magic systems, and it’s been good. In fact, it is a feature I use to attract people to Hero.

The only difficulty I can recall is that you may need to think about how magic systems are grouped for things like Drains, Vulnerabilities, and so on. Is each magic system a different SFX group?

Hmmm. I hadn't considered that. Off the top of my head, I'm thinking that Magic, in and of itself, is one SFX. A Drain, etc would take a lim, lets call is -1/2 for argument's sake, for Rune Magic only.

I think I'm more inclined to call Magic the major qualifier and each variety/SFX of magic (eg Rune, Necromancy) to be a subgroup. That would make x2 STUN from Rune Magic Vulnerability worth less than if it was just vs Magic.

Its a good thing you mentioned it though, just thinking about it now I could see certain mobs (angels or devils) taking more damage from certain types of magic.

Keep the ideas coming!! The more and more I think about it, it seems that Magic is the single most important thing to quantify in a FH campaign. Everything else is pretty much stock out of the book.

While I'm thinking of it. How has everyone created their world maps? I have no idea where to start, and that is the next thing I would like to tackle.

While I'm thinking of it. How has everyone created their world maps? I have no idea where to start, and that is the next thing I would like to tackle.

Rapier!

Here are two threads that might help.

http://herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=696&highlight=world

http://herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9640&highlight=world

Usually I use a real map. Libraries have atlases and maps you can photocopy, and some, espcecially university ones, have old maps. You can change names, cut off parts of land, add mountains, and so on. A few times I drew an original map, and once I got a nice map idea from seeing a group of clouds.

If you want to add realism, don't show the players the map. Make a bad drawing and give them that.

Cheers!

While I'm thinking of it. How has everyone created their world maps? I have no idea where to start' date=' and that is the next thing I would like to tackle.[/quote']

I highly recommend the World Builder's Guidebook, which came out for 2nd Ed AD&D. If you can't find a print copy, I'm pretty sure you can get a PDF for like $5 from rpgnow.com. I know a lot of people hate PDFs, but it stays totally in the background. You will read it and use it while you're doing GM prep type stuff, and while you're actually playing, it will be the furthest thing from your thoughts. Most of the drawbacks of PDF for gaming really don't apply to this sort of book.

Hmmm. I hadn't considered that. Off the top of my head, I'm thinking that Magic, in and of itself, is one SFX. A Drain, etc would take a lim, lets call is -1/2 for argument's sake, for Rune Magic only.

I think I'm more inclined to call Magic the major qualifier and each variety/SFX of magic (eg Rune, Necromancy) to be a subgroup. That would make x2 STUN from Rune Magic Vulnerability worth less than if it was just vs Magic.

Its a good thing you mentioned it though, just thinking about it now I could see certain mobs (angels or devils) taking more damage from certain types of magic.

Keep the ideas coming!! The more and more I think about it, it seems that Magic is the single most important thing to quantify in a FH campaign. Everything else is pretty much stock out of the book.

I cover my take on Magic and Adjustments here:

Magic and Adjustment Powers

Sit down with a large sheet of paper and start drawing.

Try to leave your map open on a couple of sides (ie go off the edge of the page) -- it allows for later expansion as you think of things and creates natural frontiers ripe for exploration.

Use a hard-lead pencil that is light (I prefer a 4H) so its easy to erase. Just go for a basic outline at first and use simple arc lines to thumbnail in where mountains will go and such.

As youre drawing the map, think about what relationships between nations and requirements upon inhabitants various land features and geography would impose. Try to work in a few (but not too many) interesting land features similar to our worlds Grand Canyon, a volcano, a free standing mountain far from any range, interior lakes or inner seas of large size, deserts, swamps, jungles, waterfalls, major mountain passes, etc. Dont over do it, unless you want the grandness of the terrain to be a feature of the campaign.

Try to be mindful of elevation and latitude, and proximity to the equator. Consider if there has ever been an ice age or similar.

When drawing in your nations, pay attention to natural boundaries, but also consider the natural tendency towards resource grabbing, and the ebb and flow of years. Remember that things have not always been as they currently are and borders shift, nations collapse, and new nations grow to take their place. Consider not just the current relationships of nations, but also the general historical relationship. Similarly when drawing in capitals and settlements, consider resources and access to waterways, border contention between rival states, and the possibility of capitals being moved at some point in the past.

Consider cultures as well. Are some nations splinters of a fallen empire, with a common cultural root? Are some migratory offshoots of some other more distant culture? Things of that nature.

Then, when you are in a good place and ready to move forward, pay Keith "Mapmaker to the Stars" Curtis to make it look good. ;)

For an example of the final portion of this process:

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22775