Adder question

AnotherSkip

Having read over a few posts explicitly those dealing with adders,

I noticed a complaint of There is no Uberadder(like with teleport, you need a multipower, Power Pool (teleports only limitation) or a really huge power to have a simple but flexible teleport ability. I would like to see what you think of this idea.

Uberadder: for x4 the cost of the adder size (ie for any applicable 5 point adder you need to spend 20 points) at which point you may have any 1 adder of the right size or smaller applied to the power. thus instead of having an MP with 10 different powers(any power with different modifiers is a separate power) just spend a bit more and you can have a single teleport power with a wide variety of options.

Or is there an advantage you can buy to adjust the adder with "on the fly"?

Re: Adder question

Maybe this would best be represented as a Variable Adder, in the same vein as Variable Advantage. Since Variable Advantage has you paying double, I would guess that something like "Variable Adder: 10 points, allows any single 5-point adder to be applied and changed from use to use," might work.

Zeropoint

Last night while putting yet another character into HD (100 down, like 400 to go) I found an advanrage +1 Can Add/Remove Adders. Everyone keeps pointing out to me that this is an Adjustment Power modifier. Heck, I say crack that bitch open to everything.

Tell me this isn't the PERFECT adder for TP. It certainly would be a more solid construct for TP than the 12 slot MP with one slot for each adder.

Someone suggest using Succor to add some points only to create Adders. Personally, and since I am the GM anyway, I'm going to open up +1 Can Add/Remove Adders to all powers.

And while I don't need it, it would be nice if Steve could chime in. I know he doesn't comment on the whys and wherefores but it seems to me that this is a cherry advantage that has much more use than with just Adjustment Powers.

I don't get it.

Rapier's Teleport
Teleportation 10", Can Apply (Remove) Adders (+1)
Cost: 40

There it is, but what's it do?

I'm not saying it doesn't need more fleshing out (eg how many points can of adders do you get) but Position Shift, No Relative Velocity, Increased Mass. There are so many powers that have a host of adders. Actually, now that I think about it Succor might be the way to go. That way you add some specific points to balance the cost of the adder.

Yeah, that works better. Don't mind me, I'm with the band.

I don't have the book here at work; to do "can apply adders", don't you have to purchase the level of adders you want to change around later? IOW, if you have "Can Apply Adders", if you want to do a 10-point Adder, don't you have to have the 10 points built-in to the cost with either a generic 10-point Adder reserve or a specific 10-point Adder that can later be adjusted? Otherwise you could apply more Adders than the cost for nothing (as in Shape Shift where there are lots and lots of Adders).

Would a VPP cosmic, only for adders -1 work?

Its legal, dosent require rules changes, and is cheaper AP wise.

A good idea. The only dilemma is that if it's cheaper in terms of AP, there may be a design construct problem as there's a rule if a power is designed specifically to achieve something it should be used even if higher cost, as, presumably, other constructs are "too" cheap.

I don't have the book as stated and would have to examine what it really says about switching adders, but I wonder how the cost compares to the regular method, if that's even defined.

Then again, Vorsch, just so I understand, are you suggesting putting ONLY Adders, so that they are Naked Adders, in the VPP? Or the power with the sum total of all possible Adders you want into a VPP?

No just the adders in a vpp, maybe to pay for Advantages as well.

So 20pt VPP just for naked Adv and adders for a particular power, cost 30pts.

Bad point its cheaper than Variable Advantage and can do more.

I'd hate to resort to a VPP for doing this. For one thing, Naked Variable Advantage would already handle the Advantage side of this problem.

I would probably just use the same logic to build a Naked Variable Adder. Variable Advantage costs double what the base Advantage would cost; double the cost of the base Adder for your Variable Adder. (i.e., add any 5 pt Adder by purchasing a 10 pt Variable Adder)

I know some GMs would faint dead away at the thought of doing this, though, so YMMV.