Mimm (sci-fantasy game)

Warp9

Re: Mimm (sci-fantasy game)

The next area that I’d like some feedback on deals with the mechanics of character building. The specific issue is about dealing with equipment.

There are aliens with impressive natural abilities, and there will also be characters who rely on futuristic technology. I’d like to run the game in a heroic style relative to equipment, it would be cool to allow characters to use items that they can pick up without spending character points.

Unfortunately there is a problem with allowing characters to pick up stuff without paying any points. Many of the aliens have a large number of natural abilities, which they’ll be paying large amounts their own points for, but these same abilities will be available to other characters for free (through the use of equipment). If a Gromm character pays 5 points for his IR vision, but everybody else can just go out and get IR contact lenses, without spending any character points at all, then this setup seems pretty unfair to the Gromm.

This issue could come up in any heroic game, but it is more of an issue in the Mimm game. It is more of a problem here, both because of the fairly high level of technology, and the large number of points that some characters will sink into natural abilities.

I have been kicking around several solutions:

Option #1: go to a Super-Heroic style of having everybody pay points for equipment, this method may not be as realistic, but it is more likely to be fair to everybody. The Gromm will pay for his IR vision, but everybody else who wants it will also have to pay their points as well (probably with a focus limitation).

Option #2: give discounts to the package costs of aliens with large numbers of points tied up in natural abilities which everyone else will have access to anyway. Basically this means that I would just assign a cost based on what I think each package will actually be worth in my campaign. The idea here is that abilities like IR vision are simply not worth much if everybody else can get the same ability for free.

Option #3: Allow for two major options in character design. Players can choose from the option of designing a high point character who must pay his own points for items, or designing a lower point character who can pick up equipment with spending any character points.

Option #4: Use “Equipment Pools†to buy equipment. An Equipment Pool works like a VPP that will be used to buy the equipment which each character carries around. The Equipment Pool can be increased for people who like to have a great deal of equipment. And the Pool can also be partially sold off for more points to buy natural abilities (in the case of some aliens).

Ultimately I’ll have to make the decision, but before committing to a given direction, it would be nice to hear what some other people feel about these options.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a few points that I’d like some input on (broken up into 2 posts).

The first deals with the focus of the main group. . . .

As I’ve already stated, the flexibility of the virtual format of the game allows PCs to go off in their own directions, if they so choose.

However, it is likely that many PCs would rather work together in a group. So it would be nice to have a focus for the main group.

Here is my current thinking on the subject: the main group will work to clean up a town. The area in question is plagued by organized crime elements, corrupt officials, and orc terrorists.

The PCs will have some official sponsorship, probably Imperial backing, although this “backing†does not mean that all group members have to be directly connected to the Empire. The PCs will probably sometimes work with local authorities, but will also have a mandate to act on their own.

In order to accomplish their task, the PCs will need to

1) Be able to fight effectively when necessary

2) Be able to do detective work

3) Be able to effectively negotiate with important NPCs

Let me know what you think about this concept. . . .

I very much prefer interacting with other players instead of going solo. I like the 'clean up the town' idea. I prefer talking with the other players and creating a well-balanced group instead of the typical PBeM "everyone builds what they want and balance be damned" approach.

The next area that I’d like some feedback on deals with the mechanics of character building. The specific issue is about dealing with equipment.

There are aliens with impressive natural abilities, and there will also be characters who rely on futuristic technology. I’d like to run the game in a heroic style relative to equipment, it would be cool to allow characters to use items that they can pick up without spending character points.

Unfortunately there is a problem with allowing characters to pick up stuff without paying any points. Many of the aliens have a large number of natural abilities, which they’ll be paying large amounts their own points for, but these same abilities will be available to other characters for free (through the use of equipment). If a Gromm character pays 5 points for his IR vision, but everybody else can just go out and get IR contact lenses, without spending any character points at all, then this setup seems pretty unfair to the Gromm.

This issue could come up in any heroic game, but it is more of an issue in the Mimm game. It is more of a problem here, both because of the fairly high level of technology, and the large number of points that some characters will sink into natural abilities.

I have been kicking around several solutions:

Option #1: go to a Super-Heroic style of having everybody pay points for equipment, this method may not be as realistic, but it is more likely to be fair to everybody. The Gromm will pay for his IR vision, but everybody else who wants it will also have to pay their points as well (probably with a focus limitation).

Option #2: give discounts to the package costs of aliens with large numbers of points tied up in natural abilities which everyone else will have access to anyway. Basically this means that I would just assign a cost based on what I think each package will actually be worth in my campaign. The idea here is that abilities like IR vision are simply not worth much if everybody else can get the same ability for free.

Option #3: Allow for two major options in character design. Players can choose from the option of designing a high point character who must pay his own points for items, or designing a lower point character who can pick up equipment with spending any character points.

Option #4: Use “Equipment Pools†to buy equipment. An Equipment Pool works like a VPP that will be used to buy the equipment which each character carries around. The Equipment Pool can be increased for people who like to have a great deal of equipment. And the Pool can also be partially sold off for more points to buy natural abilities (in the case of some aliens).

Ultimately I’ll have to make the decision, but before committing to a given direction, it would be nice to hear what some other people feel about these options.

Number 4, Equipment Pools, sounds the most fair to me. Dark Champions has ways to handle this in detail (at least the old one did).

Resource points works wonders for mixing natural abilities and epuipment mongers. I have the book but haven't read out all the details, yet. So, I think Boz, Zornwill, and I have pretty much the same feelings about this.

Starting with the focus of cleaning up a particular town seems like a good idea.

I'll play the Imperial Marshall sent in to help out the corrupted 'sheriff'. I was intent on a powered-armor 'Knight', anyway. On the other hand, one of the people attempting to work out that ranch just outside of town could be a retired 'Military Man' with a suit of working Powered Armor in his basement. When the Orcs or criminal minded organization of your choice decides to try and run the man out...

Good ideas, Rob. Let's use 'em.

Resource points works wonders for mixing natural abilities and epuipment mongers. I have the book but haven't read out all the details, yet. So, I think Boz, Zornwill, and I have pretty much the same feelings about this.

Starting with the focus of cleaning up a particular town seems like a good idea.

I'll play the Imperial Marshall sent in to help out the corrupted 'sheriff'. I was intent on a powered-armor 'Knight', anyway. On the other hand, one of the people attempting to work out that ranch just outside of town could be a retired 'Military Man' with a suit of working Powered Armor in his basement. When the Orcs or criminal minded organization of your choice decides to try and run the man out...

Good ideas, Rob. Let's use 'em.

Leaning towards a Gromm-arr Martial Artist! I could go for being Sav's deputy or hired muscle.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. It really helps a great deal! :)

It is very good to hear that you like the "clean up the town" concept, and it sounds like there is agreement on the resource points thing.

Also, Zornwil, I hope that you feel better soon, you probably just need to sit under a heat lamp for a while to get that lizard metabolism up to speed ;)

I was sick most of last month! It totally sucked and I woudln't wish it on anyone. I'm still catching up from it!

Where's that magma-rock?

BoT:

What sort of feel were you looking for? I could see going a few different ways with this.

The Dark:

the town is in bad shape and every other bastage is trying to make things rough. Betrayal for the buck is the name of the game and death by blaster abounds.

The Fair:

Most people in the town are good, but a bad seed has blown in. Marshal Sav is moralistic and wins many folks over simply by charm and a warm smile.

j/w

The Fair:

Most people in the town are good, but a bad seed has blown in. Marshal Sav is moralistic and wins many folks over simply by charm and a warm smile.

This requires that you...

a)possess some charm

b)you can turn the corners of your mouth upwards...

I see two problems on the horizon. The only charm you got is in your cereal box! And being hit with frozen trout makes one angry!

:)

Edit...I am senile. Sav is getting hit with a frozen trout in Transit City 2. Wrong game! Me stupid!

I was sick most of last month! It totally sucked and I woudln't wish it on anyone. I'm still catching up from it!

I'm sorry to hear that--I hope you get fully caught up soon.

What sort of feel were you looking for? I could see going a few different ways with this.

The Dark:

the town is in bad shape and every other bastage is trying to make things rough. Betrayal for the buck is the name of the game and death by blaster abounds.

The Fair:

j/w

The feel is somewhere in the gray area between the dark and the light, with a bit of leaning to the light side. On the other hand, things may seem to be a bit darker in the orc parts of town.

Most of the people in the town are not happy about the criminal elements, but the some of the corruption runs pretty deep.

Also, many of the locals are going to be a bit unhappy about an "imperial" intrusion into their lives, although, at a different level, they will welcome attempts to bring stability back to the town.

So you can pretty much count on some mixed reactions from the locals.

On the Imperial Intrusion...

What sort of Imperial Assisstance can Marshal Sav expect? Can he call in more troopers if need be? If he's killed will an Imperial Investigation likely ensue?

Are the answers to these questions for Sav different than they might be for the criminal element in Boothill? A lot of this smacks of Western Sci-fi (which I would enjoy greatly), and the whole Marshall blows into town to clear things up and no one is quite sure what he has backing him. Or, on the other hand, ex-Knight of Mimm blows into town with worn power armor. The criminal elements start trying to get him on their side, and he plays the two against each other in an effort to clean up the town.

On the Imperial Intrusion...

What sort of Imperial Assisstance can Marshal Sav expect? Can he call in more troopers if need be? If he's killed will an Imperial Investigation likely ensue?

Are the answers to these questions for Sav different than they might be for the criminal element in Boothill? A lot of this smacks of Western Sci-fi (which I would enjoy greatly), and the whole Marshall blows into town to clear things up and no one is quite sure what he has backing him. Or, on the other hand, ex-Knight of Mimm blows into town with worn power armor. The criminal elements start trying to get him on their side, and he plays the two against each other in an effort to clean up the town.

Excellent questions :thumbup:

On the Imperial Assisstance thing, you will obviously have the support of the rest of the group, and probably some NPCs as well. If the situation warrents it, you should be able to call in more help. Of course you may have to do some convincing in order to get more help.

You will have some freedom about how you present yourself. Nobody says that you have to flaunt your Imperial connections. And there are several factions which may be played off against each other, if you're clever enough--so keep thinking! :sneaky:

Cool.

So, what is the next step?

Have you considered playing the game at HeroCentral? It has Private Chat rooms and a decent Play by Post/Play by Email possibility. Both Boz and I are currently members, but I don't know about yourself or Zornwill.

What is the next step?

Well, I am looking at getting my own message boards set up, which may or may not include chat features (I know that private chat rooms would probably be helpful for you in your current situation, but we can talk more about the whole "chat thing" later).

There is still some work that needs to be done on the site. More maps, and more location data should be added. More information needs to be added to help step new people through the chargen process for the game. Somewhere there needs to be some equipment lists so that PCs will have something to buy with their Equipment Pool Points. And there is a more data that can be added to the time line.

Once the game site is fully set up, I'll begin trying harder to bring in a few more players.

Once there are enough players, we'll probably take a bit of time to go through a process of getting everybody's characters set up. And then we'll be ready to start the game.

Warp9,

I suggest hosting the game at Hero Central. It has a chat feature that Sav can use, die rollers, and lots of Herophiles (most of which are darn fine people) from which to draw players.

Hero Central sounds like a great place. However, I’d still like to get my own set up. There are a number of custom features that I’d like to add (or at least take a shot at adding), and unless the folks at Hero Central will allow me to monkey around with their background code (which I very much doubt they will), I’ll need my own boards.

I’m not outright dismissing the concept of Hero Cental, it is definitely something which I’d like to have as an option, although I consider it a fall back option.

Also, I haven’t forgotten your idea about the yahoo group, but I don’t know how necessary it will be because the message boards may cover much of that same functionality (depending on the exact board set up).

I haven’t gone to deeply into my ideas about the chat stuff; here is a good place to start.

The chat stuff:

First off, I will make it a big priority to see that the board setup I get will have chat features, so that Savinien will not be left out.

But, I really hope that Savinien gets home access. There are some specific options which I’d like to use that will require running specific software.

As Zornwil already knows, I’ve been working on my own chat/combat rpg program called the Virtual Game Table (VGT). It still has a ways to go before it will really be finished, but it should work for the purposes of running this game.

Even if I don’t get to use my program for this game, I’ll still learn about what features I should be including. But, if at all possible, I’d like to integrate the VGT into this campaign. I’d even like to extend the VGT so that it integrates with the message board technology, which is another reason that I’ll probably need my own boards.

Ah-ha! The ulterior motive!

j/k Warp9

I'm glad you let the cat out of the bag. Otherwise, Boz and I would have likely hounded you to use HeroCentral incessantly. I was just talkin about getting our ISP going at home again with the SO. I'll likely have something within a week or two (and possibly less).

Keep on keepin' on!

Sav, the Pedantic GM

Ah-ha! The ulterior motive!

Yep, you got me ;):rofl:

Actually the VGT is the reason I started talking to Zornwil outside these boards; he helped me test the program last summer.

I'm glad you let the cat out of the bag. Otherwise, Boz and I would have likely hounded you to use HeroCentral incessantly. I was just talkin about getting our ISP going at home again with the SO. I'll likely have something within a week or two (and possibly less).

It is great to hear that you'll have home access. :cheers:

And I'd still like to hear about Hero Central, if nothing else, their set up would probably give me some good ideas.

Just go check it out. It's free.

herocentral.net

That is good advice.

But it still might take me a while to get to appreciate all the cool features which I assume that they have.

Would I have to actually play in some games to see fully what is going on there? Or are all the posts/features pretty much accessable to the casual observer?

Where do we go from here (Part II)

Where do we go from here (Part II)

It would be nice to continue to work on the character concepts/backgrounds. I know that there is still some important information which will need to be given out (or put up on the game site) before the characters can be fully created, but work can commence with what is there.

Having the information that has been given so far has been a great help to me. It lets me know what I should focus on. For example, knowing that Bozimus is going to be playing a Gromm character lets me know that I should spend some specific time thinking about the Gromm background and history.

The more I know about the PCs, the more I can make sure that the aspects of the world which relate to them get fully fleshed out.

The concepts expressed so far are great! And it will be nice to hear more.

You can also e-mail me privately, if you want to discuss areas of your background that should stay secret (I do like to have a strong element of mystery in the game).

I will be getting more information up on the site fairly soon, but if any of you have specific questions about things, feel free to ask.

That is good advice.

But it still might take me a while to get to appreciate all the cool features which I assume that they have.

Would I have to actually play in some games to see fully what is going on there? Or are all the posts/features pretty much accessable to the casual observer?

You could play, or lurk. You can read all of the posts in a game in which you are not a player, but cannot post to any board. It has grown exponentially in the past few months.