Mimm (sci-fantasy game)

Warp9

Hi All.

I am considering starting up a new campaign, but before getting too far along, it would be nice to get some feedback on the concepts involved.

So any input that you can give would be appreciated.

This campaign takes place on a frontier world which is on the edge of a galactic empire. The feel I’m going for in the game is based on several sources. It draws a bit from Star Wars, a bit from WH40K, a bit from Call of Cthulu, and a bit from the old west.

As is common in many “star empire†type games, there are a collection of beings who ruled the galaxy long before modern times, and have since vanished (but not without leaving behind some interesting artifacts). These forerunners are called the “Old Ones†in my game; these ancients are mostly an unknown factor, but there is definitely a “Lovecraftian†vibe to them.

There is a theme of moving (over time) from a galaxy controlled by “extra-cosmic horrors†to a galaxy run by more mundane entities (like humans). Over the eons, the more bizarre entities have become less visible, whereas, in modern days, creatures with “more respect for the laws of nature†have dominated the field.

The game starts toward the end of the 36th century (3584), where humans have moved out into space and encountered a number of other high-tech creatures. The Empire has been at war for 200 years, and is currently in a stage of expansion, and also re-expansion into old territories.

One such “old†territory is the Mimm system, specifically the 2nd planet of the Mimm system (the planet is technically called “Mimm II,†but it is usually referred to as Mimm) Mimm was first colonized by the Empire in 2900, but contact with Mimm was lost during a major war which put a great deal of stress on the Empire.

Technical Note: there is no “FTL radio†in my universe (at least as far as the current levels of technology in concerned), the only way to get messages across space (fast) is to carry the messages on ships which are capable of making hyper-space jumps. So, when a net-work of jump-gates goes down, contact with the related worlds will be lost.

After the war, the Empire is again expanding. Mimm has just been re-discovered in 3564, and re-acquired by the Empire.

Because Mimm is on the edge of the Empire, the technology level is much lower than at the heart of the Empire, and the technology that the average person has access to is actually more like 1970s Earth.

The PCs will have access to higher levels of technology (or possibly be bizarre aliens with para-human abilities) than most people around them. So the game could almost seem like a “super-hero†setting in some ways.

Given the setting, I am considering treating high-tech items as “unique artifacts†and having everybody build their equipment, just like they would in a super-hero setting. But I am also considering other options as well.

As far as the goals/motivations of the PCs go, there is much for them to do on Mimm.

Often times the only justice to be had on a frontier world may have to be given out by the PCs.

And during the long separation during the war, the original colonists no longer feel that they are citizens of the Empire. They feel that they should be considered independent, but the Empire disagrees. There is a growing threat of war between the colonists and the Empire. No matter which side they are on, war will make life interesting for the PCs.

There is also still much exploration to be done. Mimm has been the site of alien activity over the ages, and there are all sorts of wonders left behind in the ancient ruins. One of the reasons that the Empire is interested in Mimm is due to the concentration of artifacts left by the Old Ones.

Finally there is an element of tension between the more primitive aliens, and the more advanced humans. Some of the aliens want to take over control of the world (or at least get as much power as possible), and are increasingly willing to resort to terrorist methods in order to achieve their goals.

Eventually, when I get around to actually running the game, I’ll be using a mixture of technologies. Probably mainly Play by Post and PBEM, for the non-combat stuff, and chat technology in order to resolve combat. Although I am mainly looking for feedback at this time, if you are interested in playing in the game, it is not too early to let me know.

Anyway, here are some URLs related to my game:

The first is the URL for the Mimm Time Line.

http://www.siliconstorm.net/games/mimm/knights/timeline.html

The second URL is a link to the “campaign trailerâ€

http://www.siliconstorm.net/games/mimm/mimmintro.html

The first link is probably the most important data wise. But the second link might be interesting to look at as well.

And thanks in advance for any feedback. . . .

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Mimm (sci-fantasy game)

Sounds like a great setting. Will you do this virtually over FtF?

I think the setting is good enough I couldn't add but would wonder how you're going to tailor the rules in terms of heroic versus superheroic, aside from purchasing artifacts as you mentioned? How important will the PCs be in the world, how unique?

Sounds like a great setting.

Thanks. :)

Will you do this virtually over FtF?

Yes, probably. It is conceivable that a face to face game might take place, there are a number of Hero Gamers that live in the Tampa area who might be interested. But my main focus is the virtual angle.

I agree that face to face games have many advantages, on the other hand, virtual games have advantages as well. One of the main things I like is that there does not have to be a set group. For example, maybe some of the PCs will be on the side of the Empire, while some of the others may favor independence for Mimm, and others may fan the flames of war while selling weapons to both sides. I personally feel that having the PCs on various sides makes for a very interesting game.

I think the setting is good enough I couldn't add but would wonder how you're going to tailor the rules in terms of heroic versus superheroic, aside from purchasing artifacts as you mentioned?

Outside of equipment, I’d likely be using more of the rules from a “heroic†game. I want more of a “gritty†feel than would be had by most super-hero games. And I’m not even really dedicated to the super-heroic method of buying items. It sort of depends on the reaction I get to the concept in this thread. The “super-heroic†method gives more freedom to the PCs in terms of the ability to design their own items, and it makes things easier for me (I don’t have to design equipment lists).

How important will the PCs be in the world, how unique?

The PCs will be very important on a local level, but not on a “world level.†Of course that is in terms of "power level," rather than ability to impact the course of history. The PCs may have access to equipment and powers that the average people do not, but it is a big universe and there are also many others who have even greater technology and/or powers. Some times even the most humble characters can have a major impact on the world (just ask Frodo about that).

Also part of the concept of “uniqueness†comes down to how each character is built. It is very possible that one of the PCs could be the best chess player on Mimm, and maybe even the best chess player in the whole Galaxy. I’d say that would be very "unique," but probably not in exactly the way you intended when asking the question.

Here are some pictures of some warrior creatures from my game. These beings are known as Gromm-arr.

I will eventually put these (at least one of them) up on my site. So considering the need to keep our number of uploads small, these images may not be up here all that long.

I have been considering the design of 4 armed creatures. And there are some ideas that come to mind other than the more traditional 4-armed design which I've posted above.

Here is a different concept. This one has a much longer body, and the middle set of arms can also be used as legs (then it moves like a centaur-creature).

The upper portion of this creatures body has a great deal of independence over the lower set of arms. The lower arms can bash you from the front, while the upper set can come up and over the top. It's kind of like trying to block a flail.

(these are really rough sketches--but they give the basic concept of what I'm going for)

Warp9,

I like the big map!

The new 4-armed creature is a big improvement. I believe that it has more of a science fiction feel to it...

Boz

Thanks (for the map comment) :)

And as for the new 4 armed creature design, going in this new direction works for me.

It all sounds interesting...

Anything I can do to help?

I appreciate your interest, and any observations or comments that you might have will be helpful.

Beyond that, I will eventually be looking for players. . . so if you are interested in playing, let me know.

This is really nice. I'd like to put a reference up at the star hero fandom site. What url would you like me to reference?

Aroooo

Thanks, I'm glad you like the site :)

You are most welcome to put up a reference, probably the best URL would be the one for the main game page:

http://www.siliconstorm.net/games/mimm/knights/KnightsOfMimm.html

Hello Zorn! How is the world's fastest typing lizard? :)

Unfortunately missing your post as I had to get back to work!

Doing okay, thanks, how are you?

JT was just saying something about you not being on the boards and it felt good to tell him that, no, you are back!

Warp9' date=' what kind of time commitment are you thinking on the players' part?[/quote']

Good question.

First of all, I'd like it if Players would check their e-mail fairly regularly, that way, even if they are not actively participating, they'll know if something important comes up. But that being said, there is quite a bit of flexibility for what I'm planning.

Unlike a regular game, where everybody is gathered together at one place, individuals in a PBEM have more ability to work independently without taking time away from the rest of the group.

If somebody wants to work on their own, behind the scenes, then very little commitment is required (but the other players may not even know that this PC is in the game).

If a player wants to work closely with the main group, then a bit more commitment is required. Being part of the group is going the mean regular response to the other PCs. And, since I'm planning on doing combat in chat mode, it means being able to agree on some set time to get together for a chat session when necessary. Keep in mind that these chat sessions will probably be very short, and only run long enough to resolve a particular fight.

Yep Boz, that's great.

I'm a little concerned about the chat part, though. As I don't have 'net access at home at the moment, unless we used a particular CHAT (Hero Central or Hero Games), I may have problems with the combat part.

We're supposedly getting home access agian soon, though...

Warp9, please email me at the webdress Boz supplied.

Thanks!

There are a few points that I’d like some input on (broken up into 2 posts).

The first deals with the focus of the main group. . . .

As I’ve already stated, the flexibility of the virtual format of the game allows PCs to go off in their own directions, if they so choose.

However, it is likely that many PCs would rather work together in a group. So it would be nice to have a focus for the main group.

Here is my current thinking on the subject: the main group will work to clean up a town. The area in question is plagued by organized crime elements, corrupt officials, and orc terrorists.

The PCs will have some official sponsorship, probably Imperial backing, although this “backing†does not mean that all group members have to be directly connected to the Empire. The PCs will probably sometimes work with local authorities, but will also have a mandate to act on their own.

In order to accomplish their task, the PCs will need to

1) Be able to fight effectively when necessary

2) Be able to do detective work

3) Be able to effectively negotiate with important NPCs

Let me know what you think about this concept. . . .