Mimm (sci-fantasy game)

Warp9

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Mimm (sci-fantasy game)

Sav,

I agreed to being a mercenary and to originating from the place where the campaign starts. Do you want our two characters to know each other from prior to the start of the campaign? I can play it either way...

My thought is (and this idea is just a suggestion) that, some years before the campaign starts, both your characters met in Daedrus City.

The meeting could have taken place in 3577, when Imperial Forces were first called in to deal with the unrest over to concept of Imperial rule on Mimm. Or it could have happened in 3579, during the Orc refugee crisis.

It is very possible that the Imperial Military would have used some local mercenaries, given that Mimm is so far away from the heart of the Empire (and it is sometimes easier to use locals than send Imperial soldiers all that distance). Or in the case of the Orc refugee invasion, you might have ended up fighting alongside Imperial forces out of necessity.

I would assume that your characters worked together for some time (probably about 1 to 3 years). And then later on, your character moved to Apshii (the town where the game takes place). Anyway that is my suggestion.

Maintaining the Mystery

Most PBEMs are pretty open, I’ve often seen all the stats of the PCs listed so that everybody can see them.

I have a different vision for my game. One thing I’ve mentioned a few times is that the “Aura of Mystery†is important to me. It might be a good idea to do into this concept a bit more right here.

Before going on, I’ll should add that none of these ideas are set in stone, and I am open to other ways of doing things if good arguments for doing so can be presented.

Also, before going on, I’d suggest re-reading the side bar on pages 340-341 of FREd. It sums up my position on these matters pretty well.

When we are running in chat mode, I’ll probably be using the Hero Combat Simulator (HCS) to track combat (or I may end up writing some of my own code to handle that stuff). If I’m tracking everything anyway, then it will not be hard to keep many of the mechanical aspects of the game hidden.

There are other steps I’d also like to take as well. One of those additional steps is to give out information only on a “need to know†basis.

I was hoping to even keep the information of who is playing what character secret, but obviously that has not worked out in practice. And I actually like the way things have turned out, I like being able to talk with you about your characters in this forum. Having public knowledge of the group’s leader (Savinien’s character) helps form a core around which the other characters can develop.

But it is likely that some others who join the game (I have other recruitment methods than these boards), will only be known to the other players as their character identities.

When you log on to my message boards, you should do so as your character, you should pick an appropriate avatar (I’ll help make one for you if necessary), and also have an appropriate character description line. For example, when Bozimus is logged on, it should be in his character’s name, he should have an avatar that looks like a Gromm-arr, and there should be a description by the avatar that reads something like: “Gromm-arr Warrior.â€

And what you post while on my boards should be “in-character.†The PBEM aspects of the game will probably be handled by Private Messaging, within the board, rather than actual e-mail, so you will never have reason to need any data on the people in the game other than what is available on my message boards.

The “need to know†concept applies to other information as well. Nobody needs to know exactly what the DEX bonus of a Gromm-arr is except those who are actually playing such a character. I’d prefer it is everybody kept the exact numbers on their sheets secret. The other characters should probably know that your character is good at stealth, but they don’t need to know exactly what is Stealth skill level is. I can’t really stop players from giving out this information (or even posting their whole sheets), but I would prefer it if they did not do so.

I’ve even considered not giving out the actual data for each type of creature, instead, the characters will be built as they would look before racial modifications; I would keep track of the actual (net) data/attributes myself. Yet I thought that maybe this way of doing things would be going a bit too far. I'll probably give out the data (only to those who need it), but the other way would have some advantages. Let me know what you think about this idea.

Again, these concepts are not set in stone. And one of the reasons that I’m going into this stuff here is so that, if some of you really don’t like these ideas, we’ll have time to talk about it.

Re: Maintaining the Mystery

I don't mind. Back in my early days of online gaming, I found MU*s. Many of the administrators (and even me when I became one) felt similarly about game mechanics. But, as I grew and matured I realized it may actually hinder the flow of the game. If you have players that can grasp the distinction between IC and OOC, you won't need to hide things. While interesting (enough that I'd be willing to try it), I think it would be a LOT of work for the GM.

I don't have a problem with doing as you ask. I only wonder how long it would take you to write yoru website. In some ways, I have ADD with my gaming. I get really psyched about something and really push to get it going. If there is a long period of waiting time, I tend to lose interest and forget all the cool ideas I originally had.

I'm not trying to rush you or anything Warp9, but I'd vote towards the sooner the better. Or, alternatively, I could put it out of my mind as much as possible and just come back here and read what we come up with when it is time to start playing.

Roll on Big Daddy! Roll on!

I'm not trying to rush you or anything Warp9, but I'd vote towards the sooner the better. Or, alternatively, I could put it out of my mind as much as possible and just come back here and read what we come up with when it is time to start playing.

Originally I was planning to go slow and make sure that everything was set up right before the game got started. That is why I put this thread over here in "Other Genres" rather than the "Player Finder" (I just wanted to throw around some game related ideas).

But I definitely don't want all of you who are interested in the game to die of boredom before the game even gets started.

If you guys would like to see some action real soon, what about a “prequel†?

Since I’m not quite ready to start the main game, I’m thinking that we could play out some of the events that happened a few years before the game started. We could re-wind back to 3577 (or maybe 3579).

It would give a nice “depth†to the game if some of the characters who knew each other before the game starts, can actually have conversations about "the good old days."

Right now, you and Bozimus have a past linked to 3577, and it should also be pretty easy to bring Zornwil into the prequel as well.

Most PBEMs are pretty open, I’ve often seen all the stats of the PCs listed so that everybody can see them.

I have a different vision for my game. One thing I’ve mentioned a few times is that the “Aura of Mystery†is important to me. It might be a good idea to do into this concept a bit more right here.

Before going on, I’ll should add that none of these ideas are set in stone, and I am open to other ways of doing things if good arguments for doing so can be presented.

Also, before going on, I’d suggest re-reading the side bar on pages 340-341 of FREd. It sums up my position on these matters pretty well.

I am willing to try this Mystery sidebar thingie. If it doesn't work, we can always go back to typical roleplaying conventions.

I was hoping to even keep the information of who is playing what character secret' date=' but obviously that has not worked out in practice. And I actually like the way things have turned out, I like being able to talk with you about your characters in this forum. Having public knowledge of the group’s leader (Savinien’s character) helps form a core around which the other characters can develop.[/quote']

Oops...

Originally I was planning to go slow and make sure that everything was set up right before the game got started. That is why I put this thread over here in "Other Genres" rather than the "Player Finder" (I just wanted to throw around some game related ideas).

But I definitely don't want all of you who are interested in the game to die of boredom before the game even gets started.

If you guys would like to see some action real soon, what about a “prequel†?

Since I’m not quite ready to start the main game, I’m thinking that we could play out some of the events that happened a few years before the game started. We could re-wind back to 3577 (or maybe 3579).

It would give a nice “depth†to the game if some of the characters who knew each other before the game starts, can actually have conversations about "the good old days."

Right now, you and Bozimus have a past linked to 3577, and it should also be pretty easy to bring Zornwil into the prequel as well.

This is a good idea...

I am willing to try this Mystery sidebar thingie. If it doesn't work' date=' we can always go back to typical roleplaying conventions.[/quote']

I can't ask for more than that :)

And it's been too long since I've been to a roleplaying convention anyway :D

This is a good idea...

Glad to hear it!

If the others feel the same way, then we can get started.

If we are going to get started immediately, we need a place to play. Hero Central sounds like a good option to me (if they don't mind my running a short lived prequel there).

Glad to hear it!

If the others feel the same way, then we can get started.

If we are going to get started immediately, we need a place to play. Hero Central sounds like a good option to me (if they don't mind my running a short lived prequel there).

*slides in his chips*

"I'm all in."

Dan won't care. You'd be surprised how many games end up being 'short-lived' anyway.

*cough*

Annals of the Mask..

*cough*

Look forward to seeing you over there, Warp9 and Zornwill!

It sounds like everybody is on board with the prequel concept, and there may even be 1 or 2 more who will join in.

I looked around over at Hero Central this morning, and I will try to get stuff set up to run my game over there today. I will post a message on this thread when things are ready.

Since I don't have all the equipment lists and that sort of thing set up yet, we're probably going to have to "wing it" a bit. The characters would probably change somewhat in the 7 years between the prequel and the game anyway.

Mimm update

I now have some futuristic weapon stats up on the site. I hope that some of this stuff may be useful even to those who do not want to play in the game.

added on edit: it is worth saying that the active cost of each item is not based on the total active cost. Instead it is based on the active value of the biggest power in the item, because that is the real indicator of whether or not you can fit it into your equipment pool.

You can find them off the main page (click on “characters†or “game mechanicsâ€) that will take you to a page where the various choices are menu selections over on the left.

But here are the direct URLs for the weapons:

http://www.siliconstorm.net/games/mimm/knights/pistols.html

http://www.siliconstorm.net/games/mimm/knights/superheavypistols.html

http://www.siliconstorm.net/games/mimm/knights/smgs.html

http://www.siliconstorm.net/games/mimm/knights/rifles.html

On other fronts, I’ve got my own message boards up and running, but I want to move them to a different server (they are not on my siliconstorm site yet), before I show them off to the world at large.

I’m also thinking of adding more features.

It would be cool to have game money, and item lists so characters can buy sell and trade (in game only of course) right from the site.

I’d also like to add a version of reputation (like on these boards). Basically, it will be a way for other players to reward good role-playing. That will not be the only basis for rewarding experience, but it will be a factor. Although things that you give rep for “in game†would probably be a bit different than what you’d give rep for on these boards (especially if the character, rather than the Player, making the statements is supposed to be a bit looney).

It has been nice to play around with PHP and mySQL for a while. . . . setting up the boards has been interesting.

I hope to put the boards on their new server sometime after Christmas, but I may have some of you take a look to see if you like the layout even before that. However, considering that we have the prequel to play out at Hero Centeral, there is no rush.

I do have several old friends who will be joining us once the real game starts. I also know one more person that will probably be playing in the prequel (although I will not hold up starting the game for him).

I am ready to start things with the prequel whenever I get to see write ups on all the PCs.

Finally, even for the prequel, I’d like to use my own chat program (if possible). I know that using the program will be a problem for Sav right now, but hopefully that will change soon.

People like Warp9, Keith Curtis, Surbrook, Killer Shrike, etc. give a tremendous amount back to our hobby. I am in frequent awe of these websites.

Nice job, Rob!

(Did I say hobby? I meant our addiction!)

:)

Thanks, :)

but if you keep that up, you'll give me a swelled head; nothing is worse than a GM with a swelled head. (we need an emote for that) :P