Galactic Martial Arts Compendium.

Enforcer84

I love this idea, but I feel bad for starting the thread as I have nothing at this moment to contribute. Someone (Bob Greenwade?) mentioned that if HERO put out a book simply to impress him this might be that book. I think it's a good idea.

Surely there are martial artists out there.

Format: Let's keep these somewhat uniform

Name of art

People whom practice (Malvans, Monabi, etc)

Development period (Champions, Terran Empire, Champions 3K, etc).

Description/Background of Art:

Maneuvers-----------OCV-----DCV-----Effect

Weapons Elements:

Skills Associated:

Notes: (Hit locations, etc.)

Powers: (This is the "martial arts tricks" associated with said art (if any)

Anyone interested?

Re: Galactic Martial Arts Compendium.

Nothing too specific here, but just some feedback (and a thread bump to keep it on the front page). Maybe it should go in the Star Hero room too.

I would think that the Mondabi would have a very defensive martial art that employed their tails.

The Ackalians would obviously have an agressive MA, maybe theirs and the Mondabi have a similar background (again with the tails) but extremely different philosophies.

The Malvans I would imagine to have a very fluid, artistic, showy style akin to Kung Fu, Capoera (sp?) or Wa Hrang Do (sp?)

Then again these species may all have dozens of styles (just like we do).

Yeah, I'm the one who asked for The Galactic Martial Artist (though given my choice, I'd rather have a Galactic Bestiary -- or even combine the two plus more Spacer's Toolkit stuff and various other items into The Encyclopedia Galactica... but I digress).

I have a dozen or so martial arts written up on my computer at home. The hard part, without Internet access there, will be getting them from there onto the boards....

Here's a crack at Malvan Martial Arts. It is a very fluid and acrobatic style as discussed above with an emphasis on movement and misdirection. (Listed Damage Dice are based on STR 10)

Cost** Martial Arts Maneuver
** Kyluun Sharra - Malvan Martial Art*
4** 1) Fast Strike: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +0 DCV, 4d6 Strike*
5** 2) Sacrifice Strike: 1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, -2 DCV, 6d6 Strike*
5** 3) Passing Strike: 1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, +0 DCV, 2d6 +v/5; FMove*
4** 4) Charge: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, -2 DCV, 4d6 +v/5 Strike, FMove*
3** 5) Flying Tackle: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, -1 DCV, 2d6 +v/5 Strike; You Fall, Target Falls; FMove*
5** 6) Passing Disarm: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, -1 DCV, Disarm, 20 STR to Disarm; FMove*
5** 7) Flying Grab: 1/2 Phase, -2 OCV, -1 DCV, Grab Two Limbs, 20 STR for holding on; FMove*
3** 8) Legsweep: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, -1 DCV, 3d6 Strike, Target Falls*
4** 9) Martial Block: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, Block, Abort*
4** 10) Martial Dodge: 1/2 Phase, -- OCV, +5 DCV, Dodge, Affects All Attacks, Abort*
5** 11) Flying Dodge: 1/2 Phase, -- OCV, +4 DCV, Dodge All Attacks, Abort; FMove*
Martial Arts Cost: 47

Cost** Skill
3** Acrobatics 11-*
10** +2 with DCV*
Skills Cost: 13

Total Character Cost: 60

Lon QiLon QiDeveloped by VaranyiTimeline (Suitable for Champions, Champions 3k)Lon Qi was developed as an art for Varanyi assassins and espionage agents. It is unique in that it require's telepathy to master. The signature maneuvers (the Slayer's Sword and the Disabling Sword) require ECV attacks rather than OCV/DCV. The maneuvers seem gracefull and fluid if not rapid and intimidating. The Style has been refined in the last century, the Varanyi known as the Grand Master of the style, a former espionage agent who retired to study the art as for the rest of his life, developed many of the non lethal techniques. Garvun, his name legend in the circles of Lon Qi practicioners, basically openned what would be the equivalent of a monastary for Lon Qi practitioners.He and his students set most of the tennants and traditions for the art. The Varanyi Intelligence community still uses the utalitarian version of the art, short on the special abilities and often lacking the Disabling Sword. A Student of the art often wears loos fitting pants and shirts. A belt, self made, involving personal Sigils embroidered to signify their achievements, marks them to eachother and to those in the know. Garvun's teachings that meditation and study of the Art can improve one's t'llk and one's station is not popular among the nobility. However, the art's usefulness has afforded its practitioners some immunity (for merely existing, the won't get punnished, however, known practitioners are watched by the authorities).

Cost Martial Arts Maneuver
Lon Qi
4 1) Block: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, Block, Abort
19 2) Disabling Sword: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, +1 DCV, 2d6 NND, Based On EGO Combat Value (Standard Defenses apply; +1) (19 Active Points)
4 3) Disarm: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, +1 DCV, Disarm; 20 STR to Disarm
4 4) Dodge: 1/2 Phase, -- OCV, +5 DCV, Dodge, Affects All Attacks, Abort
4 5) Escape: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, 25 STR vs. Grabs
5 6) Kick: 1/2 Phase, -2 OCV, +1 DCV, 6d6 Strike
3 7) Legsweep: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, -1 DCV, 3d6 Strike, Target Falls
4 8) Punch: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +2 DCV, 4d6 Strike
24 9) Slayer's Sword: 1/2 Phase, -2 OCV, +0 DCV, HKA 1d6 +1, Based On EGO Combat Value (Standard Defenses apply; +1) (24 Active Points)
3 10) Throw: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +1 DCV, 2d6 +v/5, Target Falls
1 11) Weapon Element: Blades
0 12) Weapon Element: Empty Hand
1 13) Weapon Element: Energy Blades
1 14) Weapon Element: Polearms and Spears
1 15) Weapon Element: Stun Rods
Martial Arts Cost: 78
Cost Skill
3 Breakfall 11-
3 Climbing 11-
3 Concealment 11-
2 KS: Lon Qi 11-
3 Sleight Of Hand 11-
3 Stealth 11-
4 WF: Blades, Energy Blades, Polearms and Spears, Stun Rods
Skills Cost: 21
Val Disadvantages
10 Distinctive Features: Style Limitation (Not Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses; Not Distinctive In Some Cultures)
10 Hunted: Varanyi Secret Police 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Watching)
Disadvantage Points: 20

Total Character Cost: 192

Notes: The punch, Disabling Sword, and Slayer's sword all take a 2d6+7 hit locations, the legsweep targets the legs, the kick takes 3d6. The costs of the Disarming and Slayer's swords is based on the UMA (2nd edition) rules for adding advantages to Martial Arts manuevers.Special Abilities:

Cost Power END
Special Abilities
5 1) Mind's Eye: Mental Awareness [Notes: This is developed by non Psionic Practicioners.] 0
22 2) The Binding Strike of Quaal Egir: Entangle 2d6, 2 DEF, Takes No Damage From Attacks Limited Group (+1/4), Works Against EGO, Not STR (+1/4), Based On EGO Combat Value (Mental Defense applies; +1) (50 Active Points); No Range (-1/2), Restrainable (-1/2), Cannot Form Barriers (-1/4) 5
15 3) Silent Passage: Invisibility to Sight, Mental and Hearing Groups (30 Active Points); Concentration, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (1/2 DCV; -1/2), Only When Not Attacking (-1/2) 3
5 4) Temple of the Mind: Mental Defense (7 points total) 0
30 5) Rending the Walls: (Total: 40 Active Cost, 30 Real Cost) Find Weakness 11- with Martial Arts Maneuvers (Real Cost: 20) plus +4 w/Find Weakness Roll (20 Active Points); Costs Endurance (-1/2), Requires a successful ECV attack Roll +1 to Find Weakness for every point under the required roll (-1/2) (Real Cost: 10) 2
6 6) Reading Surface Thoughts: Lightning Reflexes: +4 DEX to act first with All Actions
10 7) Reading Surface Thoughts II: Defense Maneuver I-IV
Powers Cost: 93The damages and abilities listed assume a practitioner with 10's in all base charactersitics.

I remember developing a style for a race that could fly and fire energy blasts--so there were some ranged martial arts techniques mixed in.

There was also a maneuver called "falling star", which was something like:

-2 OCV, -2 DCV, +4d6+v/5; FMov; +1 segment, both take damage

Usually executed as a double-speed diving attack :eg:

• 4 weeks later...