DNPC: My Cat

Super Squirrel

What if the cat was secretly a supervillain? Along the lines of mind-control kitty from the Powerpuff Girls (whose name I can't recall. shut up.)

Maybe the hero who's taken the DNPC has been mind-controlled to not remember that Keetooms is Super Evil. And has to continually fight off allies and other heroes who're trying to send poor Keetooms to the big Catbox In The Sky.

Re: DNPC: My Cat

I was out camping with my dog a few months back, alongside a small, ice cold, very rapid mountain river. I decided to cross the river by leaping from one fallen tree to another. I found myself standing on a log over a section of the river. My dog was whining at me, because she wanted to follow, but she couldn't make the jumps I was making (some clinging and climbing was involved as well). She walked down to the end of a log that terminated underwater, and realized she couldn't follow me that way. She tried to turn around, but the log was very narrow and wet. So she slipped and fell in. The current was far too strong for her to swim against (she's an inexperienced swimmer to boot), and she was headed straight for some rather nasty and jagged rapids. Luckily, she was upstream from me when she fell in, and right after she fell in she shot right under the log I was standing.

I didn't even think, I just turned around, dived in, and grabbed her before she hit the rocks. I had no plan, no idea what I was doing, just turned and dove. Because there wasn't anything else I could do! I'm was just incredibly lucky that the spot I dove in at was deep enough that I didn't smash my head in, and that the water wasn't cold enough to send me into shock immediately. As it was, I only lost my glasses.

So I could definitely see a pet as DNPC. People get attached to their pets, and do incredibly stupid things to save them.

And speaking for myself' date=' if it came down to a choice between one of my cats and certain members of my family *ahem*, I'd save the cat. [/quote']

I had a coworker (we'll call her Donna) that was like that. If her house caught fire, she'd save her cat and leave her son to fend for himself.

A different coworker got a new (male) cat, and the cat was clawing and biting her up something fierce. She'd come in every day with scars -- not just scratches, but drawing blood. I made the comment, "If I had a cat like that, it would have taken flying lessons by now."

I have nothing against cats. It's just that there are limits. And no, I wouldn't have actually sent it flying. I don't condone animal abuse.

Anyway, "Donna" heard me say that, and got all upset. "Oh! You... I can't believe I even *talk* to you!!!" And she stormed away. So later that day I went to her and explained that I grew up with cats. I finished with "You love cats, don't you? I love cats, too. Maybe we should get together some time and compare recipes."

She didn't talk to me for weeks.

For anyone who doubts that a pet can be just as much of a DNPC as a person,

I submit the following:

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/freakish/hotsprng.htm

Although it is from the Urban Legends site, it is a true story.

They just happened to have the most detailed account I could easily find.

Something about burns makes me more twitchy than any other sort of injuries or death. :(

But yea, good example.

The cat gets mad at the super for being neglected at home again!

Something unpleasent happens to the costume. 'nuff said.

Way too realistic!

I had a DNPC cat, Pinky Blue, for the Urban Druid way back. Followed some of the basic suggestions here, it was competent so it got into trouble. Familiars are good in general for that, and if you want a less active cat there's medical problems that can create economic issues for a character, there's any threat to the house that can affect the cat (burglar robs the hero's place and lets the cat out - that's a good one!).