Newbies, All

Batman

Re: Newbies, All

A lot of you guys seem to be suggesting that I should lay off on supers until my gaming group got the hang of the basic rules. This makes sense' date=' especially because I don't even know if [i']I've[/i] gotten the hang of the basic rules.

The only reason I'm hesitant about running a normal Heroic game is because the main reason my players are interested in Hero is because it's an actual workable superhero game...I don't think it'd go too well with them if I pulled a "Hey! We're actually playing Pulp Hero!" number on them.

Perhaps what I could do is either get the Dark Champions or Star Hero genre books [another blow to my already thin student wallet] and play a Heroic Campaign with Bad@$$ Guns...the groups I play with, for the most part, can be categorized as Power Gamers [not that we don't mind a bit of good storytelling and role-playing, mind you...it's just that we'd rather kill Mr. Bond first instead of telling him our plot to take over the world...hey, we're students!], so allowing an outlet to vent our daily frustrations would be a good idea. I'm guessing it wouldn't be too hard to switch from a Dark Champions or Star Hero one-off into Champions...?

I would like to speak up as I really don't agree with the "wait to elarn the game" and "take 50 classes to learn it" approach.

First let me expose my prejudice/background for fairness - I played the game since it was Champions, something like v2, and, yes, it was simpler then, so I had the advantage of learning as it grew as well.

However, I really strongly feel that's not relevant. To be clear, I DO agree with people that HERO is more complicated than many RPGs. But I just don't see a major barrier to picking up the game and playing. There's plenty of good advice in this thread (and others) on learning HERO, and the KEY one IMNSHO is that you just need to do what is fun and what makes sense - if a rule doesn't make sense...ignore it! The world will not end! If you don't want to count END...don't! If you want to simplify damage...do it!

Really, although you might find an unbalanced situation as you do this (and then you go back when it's appropriate and learn a bit more), most often you won't break the game at all. You can learn as you go and fudge as you go, too.

That is what I did. A big reason I used to tinker with games, certainly initially, was that it was an easy way to deal with the learning curve - not just HERO, but AD&D, which I very heavily bastardized (it helped I never owned the books... :D ).

I think laerning by doing works quite well with HERO. I DO agree it's easier if someone at least knows enough to get yuo going, but you can get by without that.

Now, all that being said, if you are the type of person who just can't play a game until you learn all of it - which I appreciate, many people are that way and there's nothing wrong with that - then you really do need some mentoring or such to help "really" learn HERO. But honestly, when I first played the game I had lots of stuff wrong, but I got the basics down and you learn as you go. No big, it's a great gaming system, but it's not a sacred one.

By the way, I have mixed feelings about RDU Neil's advice, but he's not all wrong about running from the boards. I think the boards are useful for newbies, but I think to his point, you have to draw a line and not sweat too much that some idea doesn't fit Gary's mathematical model or KA"s philosphical bent or Hugh Nielson's reasoned, scholarly interpretation (I'm just picking people at random, all respected for particular strengths).

You will play HERO! You will make superheroes that everyone enjoys! And you will be the GM! Just go for it! Fight! WIN!

And come back to the boards when you're done, we love these little chats...

(sorry, channeling Edna Mode...)