Aliens, as in ... well, "Aliens"

WhollyRandom

Re: Aliens, as in ... well, "Aliens"

The first and second movies disagree with each other though, for "canon" purposes...

There is no queen and no castes in the first movie - the Aliens are self replicating and convert bodies into facehugger cocoons.

BTW - I think the superleap of the computer games comes from the scene in the medlab in the second movie. Although that is a bit dubious. Most likely it is a play balance issue because all the other characters in the game have distance weapons and the Alien needs to close fast.

The AVP movie was bad. If they had stayed closer to the comics from which it derived its characters and plot, and had less Tomb Raider elements - and if it had gone for an older audience - it would have been a better movie.

The movies have the following types of Alien-

The original, dome headed, self replicating (first movie)

The warrior/guard, rib headed, mule (second movie)

The queen, the massive egg layer of the hive (second)

The dog breed guard (third)

The slightly more human-than-alien warrior/guard breed (fourth movie)

The slightly more human-than-alien queen (fourth movie)

The newborn (about 50/50) live birthed from the queen (fourth movie)

Ripley - some alien (fourth movie)

The comics included-

The predalien - an alien born of predator

Aquatic aliens - based on native seagoing animals. A bit like mermaids

various others.

The sting is in the original script for ALIENS. I put it in as I recall seeing it in the novelization... (I think...).
Yeah' date=' those things often have a habit of dropping out of play, though. The deleted scenes from the original film included Ripley finding an area of the ship covered with secretions and Captain Dallas coccooned there, asking her to kill him (exactly like similar bits in film 2). Yet, in film 2, Ripley had never seen something like that (she didn't recognise the secretions). It's fair enough to include a writeup, because the stingers weren't explicitly written out by anything but the AvP movie, but I'm glad they're added in as optional powers. :)
I only used ALIEN and ALIENS for the adaption. Thus anything else is suspect in my book. Especially anything from AVP, which looked like utter crap in my opinion.
Yeah - was really talking to the GM here. One thing I did like about your writeup was that it drew essentially from the first two films.

... and that's exactly what I was looking for. Of course' date=' against 19th-century British colonial infantry, the Alien might be rather more deadly, but I'm sure that my players will enjoy the challenge at least briefly.
Ah! Well, that's a bit different. ;) YEah, in that case, a single alien might provide a serious challenge for a whole unit. Those musket balls will probably do some nasty damage, but I probably wouldn't describe them as armour-piercing per se...
I missed that at the cinemas; it really did strike me as a watch-on-DVD release :P
Yeah, pretty much. :) I saw it in the cinema, 'cause I'm a fan of both franchises. I went in expecting a crap film, I got a crap film. It was still fun, though, in my opinion. More or less like watching kinda good fanfic with a $50m budget (or however much they spent).

Yeah' date=' those things often have a habit of dropping out of play, though. The deleted scenes from the original film included Ripley finding an area of the ship covered with secretions and Captain Dallas coccooned there, asking her to kill him (exactly like similar bits in film 2). [/quote']

This was put back into the director's cut. Makes the film much better.

Guest Major Tom

Speaking of the 19th Century:

Just imagine what Rorke's Drift would've looked like with Aliens as the main

enemy instead of the Zulus...

Major Tom :eg:

Speaking of the 19th Century:

Just imagine what Rorke's Drift would've looked like with Aliens as the main

enemy instead of the Zulus...

Major Tom :eg:

That's essentially the game I ran; I set it on Mars via Space 1889, essentially to throw the players slightly and, more importantly, to be able to use a liftwood airship to evacuate them at the end ...