Holocaust...?

Bud Gray

I was visiting my local comic/game shop last weekend and found the store manager going through some old games that the owner had finally desided to sell off. It was kind of neat going through some of those REALLY old games. (Some were never played! The counters weren't even punched out!) ONe of the games was the origional Champions boxed set. (That was used. A lot.) I've never seen the origional cover before and was wondering, is the villian on the cover suposed to be the villian Holocaust that is in CKC? The description of his costume is almost exactly like the one pictured on this old cover. Was Holocaust an origiona villian of the Champions game that made it to 5th ed?

A previous incarnation of Hero organized a contest (through Adventurer's Club, I believe) to get a character sheet for the villain on the cover of the boxed set. I don't know if Holocaust bears any resemblance to any of those entries, but I suspect he's entirely new. (IIRC, the contest was called on the grounds of no entries good enough. I know my entry in that contest stunk, I can't believe I actually sent it in.)

This the powder-blue wraparound cover by Mark Williams? I just fished mine out of the box of treasures to take a look. Not sure I can identify everyone on the cover.

I think the blue & silver guy is CRUSADER, 1st edition's sample character, without his mask. The purple & red armored guy does not seem to match anyone described in the 1e book.

(Man! I forgot how underpowered some of the characters were. Most were around 200pt.)

Originally posted by Blue

This the powder-blue wraparound cover by Mark Williams? I just fished mine out of the box of treasures to take a look. Not sure I can identify everyone on the cover.

I think the blue & silver guy is CRUSADER, 1st edition's sample character, without his mask. The purple & red armored guy does not seem to match anyone described in the 1e book.

(Man! I forgot how underpowered some of the characters were. Most were around 200pt.)

Yeah, 1st edition Mechanon was only 445 points. Nothing to sneeze at even at current point levels, but a lot deadlier when your PC is built on 200.

I never thought that guy on the cover was Crusader, but there are a few costume similarities (the star design and the gloves). This guy doesn't have glider wings though, and Crusader doesn't have any type of Iron-Fist-like punch, so we always assumed he was a different guy. We called him "Smasher" or something like that.

In our early games, we made all the characters on the book covers as PCs or villains. Gargoyle was a particular favorite. We called the villain on the cover "Dr. Havok." The armored-guy on the back was "Galahad." (I played him for several years.) I think we decided the woman on the back was Mind Slayer, but it probably isn't.

AFAIK the blue wraparound cover didn't come in the boxed set. That's the genuine, real 1st edition, with the really cool character portraits (drawn by "Dal Chele") on the character sheets. The guy that introduced me to Champions had that edition, the only one I've ever seen. (Maybe I just don't get out enough.)

I've got the boxed set with the blue NON-wraparound cover (the speed chart and combat modifier tables are on the back). It's the 4th printing of the 2nd edtion rules. That set also included the hex map and Viper's Nest. I've also seen a grayscale version of that same cover for Champions: it came in later versions of the boxed set.

I'm curious: does anyone know more about the differences in the early editions? I've thought about collecting the different printings, but haven't done it.

Originally posted by Uncle Shecky

I'm curious: does anyone know more about the differences in the early editions? I've thought about collecting the different printings, but haven't done it.

Derek Hiemforth has compiled a listing of virtually every book ever published with HERO System stats, including quite a few details about their appearance, how they were packaged, etc. on his website. You can find the list here: http://rhinobunny.com/derek/champions/herogameslist.html

Thanks for the link, LL.

I've seen that list before, from checking out Derek's page. It's the best information I've been able to find. Unfortunately, it doesn't have any info on the different versions of the 1st and 2nd edition rulebooks, but there can't be too many people who have mutliple versions of those early books: they were so similar, that multiple copies would probably only be of interest to a completist collector.

Originally posted by Starcorp Man

The Star Guy was Starburst and yeah that was Holocaust. SJG actually made a Cardboard Standup for that Figure years ago. Funny is I've used him for years as a NPC Enemy, and the New Version and Mine are almost identical save mine was focused based!!!

Just curious: where did you get the info that the guy is Starburst?

Originally posted by Blue

I always thought Starburst was the guy on page 6. Don't know why... I mean I never looked up anything on it. Guess he just looked like a starburst to me. :)

That's funny. I always thought it was the guy on p. 44 of 1st edition, just because it's the only illustration on the page with the combat example. But it doesn't say it's Starburst. Like you, I just thought it looked like him. That guy on p. 44 looks a little like the illustration of Starburst in the BBB (p. C18), but not that much.