Turakian Age: Elf Thief?

Rigel

For those of you with experience or interest in the Turakian Age setting, I have a question about a potential character. I am going to be GM'ing a TA game soon and one of my players want to play a rogue/thief type, and she wants that character to be an elf. She has played a similar type of character in D&D (and AD&D et al) for years.

My question is about how appropriate do you think this would be for an Ambrethelan Elf? From what I can gleam about the Elves of the Turakian Age, I am not sure how one would get motivated to get into these types of pursuits. So how does an Elf grow up into a thief? And, lastly, which of the Twelve Clans would she belong to? I would guess she would be a Fendirililiqwan, but I would be interested in other opinions.

Thank you in advance to the assembled masses!

Re: Turakian Age: Elf Thief?

So how does an Elf grow up into a thief?

The reason why racial and cultural packages are separate. Maybe the Oliver background (orphan raised by thieves) situation. Allow them the elf racial abilities but none of the elf cultural options; instead, they must take the cityfolk and criminal cultural package deals to represent their atypical elf principles.

:celebrate Happy New Year!!!

My question is about how appropriate do you think this would be for an Ambrethelan Elf? From what I can gleam about the Elves of the Turakian Age, I am not sure how one would get motivated to get into these types of pursuits. So how does an Elf grow up into a thief? And, lastly, which of the Twelve Clans would she belong to? I would guess she would be a Fendirililiqwan, but I would be interested in other opinions.

Thank you in advance to the assembled masses!

The player would have to read the TA book and ask herself why an Ambrethel Elf would be involved in "thiefly" pursuits. Being orphaned or enslaved would be a good reason for ending up in human society, but you'd lose the cultural package. Being Fendirililiqwan might be logical. In a "grey" campaign you might say that her clan superiors deliberately trained her in certain skills for the purpose of secret missions outside Elvenhome- basically, as a spy.

JG

Being Fendirililiqwan might be logical. In a "grey" campaign you might say that her clan superiors deliberately trained her in certain skills for the purpose of secret missions outside Elvenhome- basically, as a spy.

JG

I'd go with that. Elves are paranoid folks.

In a "grey" campaign you might say that her clan superiors deliberately trained her in certain skills for the purpose of secret missions outside Elvenhome- basically, as a spy.

JG

Thanks for the suggestions. I especially like James' spy suggestion. I guess part of my problem was properly explaining to the player how these elves are not like she played her D&D characters of the past.