Mr. Monster type campaign?

zornwil

Re: Mr. Monster type campaign?

Has anyone run a Mr. Monster sort of campaign' date=' a two-guns big-fisted and slightly light with only occassional darkness anti-monsters campaign? What are your thoughts/experiences?[/quote']

I've always liked the comics and love to steal bits and pieces for incorporation elsewhere. Of course the bit about the origin is one of my favorites.

Ran mny, many campaigns that mixed Mr.Monster, Nightlife (from Stellar Games, now long dead), and much later Buffy. Great fun.

The trick to keeping it light and fun instead of angsty is to avoid over-complicated politics (or any politics except maybe as back story), let your players well out-gun lesser monsters, forbid all Goth posing except for purely comic effect, and keep the attrocities splatter-punk stye. You might want to keep the worst of them off screen entirely.

The GURPS Hellboy RPG has some good condensed back story for this type of game, and the Hellboy stories, while a bit deeper than Mr.Monster, make good reading if you want to give this a try. The Angel TV series is worth it as well.

You might want to check with Susano on this subject. His "Phenomena Department" campaign has a lot in common with what you're looking for, although it's probably a bit deeper and a little more serious.

Susano has a great deal of stuff about his PD campaign on his website. It makes for interesting and useful reading:

http://surbrook.devermore.net/pdepartment/pdepartment.html

You might want to check with Susano on this subject. His "Phenomena Department" campaign has a lot in common with what you're looking for, although it's probably a bit deeper and a little more serious.

Susano has a great deal of stuff about his PD campaign on his website. It makes for interesting and useful reading:

http://surbrook.devermore.net/pdepartment/pdepartment.html

Said game has recently given a reboot and restart. Two runs in so far (the first introed the PCs to each other, the second send them after the Beast of Bray Road) and it's looking like fun. Next run will be to investigate the apparent murder of a man who, for some odd reason, tried to putty in all the corners of his room. It seemed he felt the need for everything to be smooth curves....

:)

Thanks. I am running a serious paranormal game (though it's slow-going, it's secondary to my main game, but I think we'll get to play next Saturday). It just seems pretty different from the Mister Monster approach, although I guess, as this thread points out, it wouldn't be so different. Dunno, just more of a curiousity to me at this point, no concrete plans.

It's a question of tone and emphasis. The same world is mind-bursting horror to low power occult investigators, endless posing and politics to self-obsessed teen Goth Vampires, bitter tragedy to the hardened cops who have to deal with the human pain left behind by the vampire's rape and torture games, and high adventure to the flying bullet proof heroes who try to curb the vampire plague. For Mr.Monster, just take a the Super Heroes, tone them down slightly (but only slightly), and drop them into the occult investigators world. Keep the tragedy off screen and let the comedy value of the situation shine through. It can be a blast.