Power Boost

CrosshairCollie

What I'm trying to build now is a character who has pretty extensive psionic powers; in times of need, she can 'overpower' them (kind of like Pushing, but without that particular mechanic), increasing the power but taking damage in the process. The latter part is obviously Side Effects, but the former ...

The powers that she can boost are all in a Multipower, though some powers that don't boost well are in there too (It's hard to figure out how to boost Invisibility this way for me). I came up with three ways to do it: Aid, Succor, and a 'secondary' Multipower that boosts some slots of the first (functionally the same as making it a 90 point MP with the top 15 points limited, I suppose). For example ...

75pt Multipower

1) 6d6 Ego Attack, 1/2 END

2) 12d6 Mental Illusions, 1/2 END

then, later on ...

15pt Multipower, Side Effects, (other mods)

1)+1.5d6 Ego Attack

2)+3d6 Mental Illusions

The problem with Aid or Succor is that they take an extra phase to activate; this is probably the best way to do it, but losing that extra phase could really bite. The booster-MP is more elegant and quicker, but I'm not entirely certain it's legal.

Thoughts? Is there a way to make Succoring oneself a zero-phase action?

Re: Power Boost

What I'm trying to build now is a character who has pretty extensive psionic powers; in times of need, she can 'overpower' them (kind of like Pushing, but without that particular mechanic), increasing the power but taking damage in the process. The latter part is obviously Side Effects, but the former ...

The powers that she can boost are all in a Multipower, though some powers that don't boost well are in there too (It's hard to figure out how to boost Invisibility this way for me). I came up with three ways to do it: Aid, Succor, and a 'secondary' Multipower that boosts some slots of the first (functionally the same as making it a 90 point MP with the top 15 points limited, I suppose). For example ...

75pt Multipower

then, later on ...

1)+1.5d6 Ego Attack

2)+3d6 Mental Illusions

The problem with Aid or Succor is that they take an extra phase to activate; this is probably the best way to do it, but losing that extra phase could really bite. The booster-MP is more elegant and quicker, but I'm not entirely certain it's legal.

IIRC in 5e any attack can be Haymakered for an extra 4DC, so why not just Haymaker the entire attack and save yourself a bunch of points? You can always spend the extra on END.

75pt Multipower

then, later on ...

1)+1.5d6 Ego Attack

2)+3d6 Mental Illusions

I don't think there is anything wrong with a partially limited multipower.

On the invisibility issue - You could always design the boost as adding desolid to the invisibility, at least if you're playing with 90 active point powers.

If you want to go the succor route, maybe some complicated trigger?

Personally, I'd probably either do it with a Succor outside of the MP, Self Only, Any One MP slot at once. Or just use a partially limited power with increased END cost, which is close to what you're doing anyway. The MP would have a 120 point pool, and each slot would be a 120 point compound power in a Multi-Slot. The first 60 points of the compound power would be purchased normally, the second 60 at 3x end cost. The character would normally be able to use any two slots at any given time, but when "pushing" would only have access to one slot.

IIRC in 5e any attack can be Haymakered for an extra 4DC' date=' so why not just Haymaker the entire attack and save yourself a bunch of points? You can always spend the extra on END.[/quote']

Maybe he doesn't want to spend the extra time - Haymakers don't finish until the botom of the next segment.

If 90 Active is acceptable to your GM, then why not build your MP using compound Powers like this...

90 Psychic Attacks: Multipower, 90-point reserve

9u (Total: 90 Active Cost, 87 Real Cost) Ego Attack 6d6, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (75 Active Points) (Real Cost: 75) plus Ego Attack 1 1/2d6 (15 Active Points); Side Effects - 1pip BODY damage (Side Effect always occurs whenever the character uses the extra Ego Attack; -1/4) (Real Cost: 12)

9u (Total: 90 Active Cost, 87 Real Cost) Mental Illusions 12d6, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (75 Active Points) (Real Cost: 75) plus Mental Illusions 3d6 (15 Active Points); Side Effects (Side Effect always occurs whenever the character uses the extra 3D6 Mental Illusions; -1/4) (Real Cost: 12)

Easier if you have HD.